Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Says They'll Release Nav for iPhone... If Apple Lets Them

APPLE has no rights to refuse such an app. Cuz its the same thing as any other navigation apps, And MOSTLY the built-in map application on the iphone is under the banner of GOOGLE. So they can't really say its copies the core functionnality of the phone cuz the application is from google, and most of all the application is gonna be free. If they refuse it the FFC is gonna shutdown their monopole over apps selling and ****, One more nails in the coffin after google latitude and google voice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmmm, wonder if I can rip this off the Droid ROM and put it on my HTC Dream

8GB iPhone 2G
    Jailbroken 3.1.2 Firmware
    Winterboard Free
    Now with ANDROID Power!!

-------------------------
    HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
    Random Eclair/Donut ROMs
    CyanogenMod Recovery 1.4
    8GB Class 6 Transcend Micro-SD w/ A2SD
    Compcache w/ Backing-swap
    ADOBE FLASH ENABLED
    Haykuro's Danger SPL

this app would be awesome, i wonder if it would work on the 3G since the hardware is from 1999 compared to the 3GS.

i don't think apple would make too much of a big deal about this if they do than F*** apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariya9mdoa View Post
    You guys are just concentrating on the app being free and yes it would be free but there is one catch. You have to connected to the internet. So a 2 hour trip would run your data bill up and up. At least with the current apps the maps are on the iphone, this is not.

And what happens when you lose your signal like most of us know that this happens fairly regularly you will be screwed. So i am not worried cause i like the nav apps that are available now. Yes they might not have all the features that this would have but who cares about the bells and whistles when the you have something that just works with out having to run up your data allowance.
    A 2 hour trip might use up a few MB. It wouldn't be THAT much. Not much more than the Maps app already uses for directions.

And Google already thought of that problem. It pre-loads your course and temporarily stores it on your phone, so if you lose signal, it still shows the map. Worst case senario is you go way off course, off the pre-loaded map, and drive until you get a signal again.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

Once again a phone will come out with a feature better than the iphone then apple will suit up and release a update to jump back in front again and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Once again a phone will come out with a feature better than the iphone then apple will suit up and release a update to jump back in front again and
    Last edited by bbillh77; 10-28-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbillh77 For This Useful Post:

gazapo (10-29-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kariya9mdoa View Post
    You guys are just concentrating on the app being free and yes it would be free but there is one catch. You have to connected to the internet. So a 2 hour trip would run your data bill up and up. At least with the current apps the maps are on the iphone, this is not.

And what happens when you lose your signal like most of us know that this happens fairly regularly you will be screwed. So i am not worried cause i like the nav apps that are available now. Yes they might not have all the features that this would have but who cares about the bells and whistles when the you have something that just works with out having to run up your data allowance.
    IF you read the actual release, the data is acutally cached on your phone. so in the case that you do lose your connection you still have your directions. As far as data usage is concerned tomtom EATS batteries and data, so does any other app. I think it would be a great addition to the iphone, but I am on board with alot of other people. we are constantly at war with apple about features, Thinks are going to come to a screeching halt soon, Apple has a lot of catch up to play. Also lets say apple does reject it. Thats going to spark another flair for the FCC to jump in and do another babysitting job and get Apple to act right.

Quote Originally Posted by bbillh77 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Haha this is the truth!

I actually finally bought a nuvi yesterday. Too fed up with the crap gps on the iphone and missing turns. Google is stepping up to the plate and putting it on Apple to deliver. In the past I would have said Apple would jump on it to make their customers happy. Unfortunately that just isn't the case anymore. They've forgotten what they used to be and what got them to where they are now.

the moment google decides to publish all their apps on cydia is the day apple shits itself

would be nice for apple to allow this but we all have to remember they gobbled up that gps company a month or so ago so next iphone may not even have google maps on it

Thanks

I have been an apple fanboy for years and and iPhone user since the release of the original and I'm really starting to get fed up with apple. I'm tired of jailbreaking every damn OS update just so the phone can do what it's supposed to. I'm seriously considering switching to this droid, just to stop all the hassle... The ONLY thing (so far) that will stop me, is if the plan is more expensive for the same things.
    16GB Black iPhone 3G 3.0

15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.6

12" PowerBook G4 OS X 10.5.5

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is everyone saying it will never happen? Really what incentive does Apple have to make it NOT happen? Before we going pointing fingers at Apple, notice how it says they IMPLIED Apple might not allow it...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

if apple does not allow this, then i will kill!

Thanks

Heck, if your planning a 2 hour trip and you need this app your better off staying home. You would be better off printing out a map and marking with a yellow highlighter then pack for the trip. As I have mentioned, I am tired of jailbreaking, but my only option would be to just save my pennies for a factory unlocked iphone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

Taniban (10-29-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Why is everyone saying it will never happen? Really what incentive does Apple have to make it NOT happen? Before we going pointing fingers at Apple, notice how it says they IMPLIED Apple might not allow it...
    It's called business logic.

1. Apple has people like tom-tom here in US and European Appstore. They make money selling such products. If google does this for free, people like Tom-Tom will lose their product on appstore. If you have not realized, the moment google announced this, germin's stocks fell.
    2. Apple just bought their own mapping and geolocation company a few months back. If anything, they will probably swap out maps(google) with their own version soon.

I'll think of a few reasons later.

Guys and girls,

If you have not realise yet, the person who posted the 2 hour trip and data usage is a user from Australia. In many countries, they have data limits and they pay per amount of data use unlike all you can eat data plans in the US. Thus, we pay a premium in cellphone rates but get all the data. They pay lower monthly usage costs.
    Last edited by seraph1024; 10-29-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

apple is f-ing lame! if this bull keeps up, i'm switching to android!

stop being ******* apple!!!! you're like the kid who won't share the ball because you aren't captain...

Thanks

since the iphone is only on AT&T still, then this free app will interfere with at&t's monthly subscription nav app

i doubt apple will allow it.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

not just the gps manufacturers will lose money dont forget the 30 or so % apple takes from every buy.

so apple loses money then to other then that a turn by turn gps is not in the core blabla whatever so i dont thinkthey can reject it on that.

but if it costs them money they will find a reason

Really hoping this happens...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Apple won't be rushing to put this new nav app on its phones as long as its free.

Either way, the bar has been raised with the introduction of Google's nav app. I can't imagine Apple not coming out with something as good or better on the iPhone that will allow it to beat the competition.

We'll see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast