+ Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 99% of iPhone Owners are Satisfied

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Melech518 Again... THESE ARE NETWORK ISSUES!! lol, Don't you people get it yet? This has nothing to do with your iPhone or any other phone. The networks
    My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Again... THESE ARE NETWORK ISSUES!! lol, Don't you people get it yet? This has nothing to do with your iPhone or any other phone. The networks all have issues and yes, you are going to get dropped, missed, and failed calls from time to time. Check the coverage in your area based on a provider map rather than signal strength. Or read the latest articles posted right here on our own forums:

Here is the link since most of you seem to have skipped over these technical articles which describe most of your complaints and the reason behind them, and jumped on every "I hate/love the iPhone" thread....
    He doesn't even have AT&T.. this article is talking about AT&T and how the bands they use their 3G on are near full capacity.

Lovely

Not

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    He doesn't even have AT&T.. this article is talking about AT&T and how the bands they use their 3G on are near full capacity.
    Article actually speaks of all of the frequencies in the US, but I am glad you are paying attention

Are you ready for this one....are you sitting down? If the Phone is dropping calls, If the phone is not receiving calls, If calls are failing....This is a NETWORK ISSUE!! It happens on everyone phone on every network world wide. Ever tried making phone calls during New Years in the US or after/during the superbowl from or to a cellphone? "All circuits are busy now, please try your call again later. Message t-9"?

I get calls from people in the shop everyday asking me, can you repair a phone that has calls dropping or not receiving calls. I tell them sure come on down. Then when they arrive we call their carrier together and discuss the problem. After a quick reset of the network settings and the carrier sending a few signals to the phone again, the problem is resolved without even attempting to repair any piece of hardware of software in the phone.

Of course, I do not expect everyone to understand how cellular radio frequencies work or even the devices in general. But it has to be made clear that these kind of issues are related to the network 9.9 times out of ten. Thanks for listening folks
    Last edited by Melech518; 10-28-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

I didn't even click on the Business week link, I was talking about the write up on MMi. I'm really glad you're paying attention for me. Things just seem better that way

Lovely

Not

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like my IPhone, but only because it's jailbroken. To be honest, I think I'd be happy with any device that would let me put my own software on it.

I don't know. I still don't like that I have to be with AT&T, and the whole mess they put us through with MMS and Tethering. I still have no idea why the hell I have to use Cycorder to get videos on my IPhone 3G. There's absolutely no reason why we can't record and send video texts...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sadly I was so unsatisfied with my iphone that I sold it and bought an HTC Hero to replace it.

At least the guy I bought it from threw in a 2G ipt so I could still play the one or two online games that haven't been ported over to Android yet. Yay wireless tethering built into my Hero ROM! (Oh, and it's FREE!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Still, no one has given us a legit reason of why they are "dissatisfied" with their iPhone....the few that have are describing network issues which dont pertain to the iphone, and the others just say "I dont like it" without an explanation. If you do not like the iPhone, it doesnt bother me. But, it would make for a more interesting debate if we knew why you were unsatisfied....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Still, no one has given us a legit reason of why they are "dissatisfied" with their iPhone....the few that have are describing network issues which dont pertain to the iphone, and the others just say "I dont like it" without an explanation. If you do not like the iPhone, it doesnt bother me. But, it would make for a more interesting debate if we knew why you were unsatisfied....
    I think that I can do that for you.
    • Lacks functionality such as tethering which is built into other phones
    • Being forced to use itunes to sync any music with device is frustrating for Windows users
    • Forced firmware upgrades (refusing to sign 3.0 FW as an example)
    • Exchange/Gmail integration leaves a lot to be desired. (Threaded conversations, etc)
    • Lack of proper IM client without paying out the nose
    • Inability to customize phone out of the box
    • Cannot use as a storage device unless you own a Mac
    • Camera quality is terrible in comparison to others on market
    • Video recording only available OOB on 3GS models
    • Lack of widgets for tasks buried in the options menu
    • Worthwhile multitasking
    • Terrible radio (other phones on same network get much better signal quality)
    • Flash

While I realize some of these can be remedied with jailbreaking, I'm explaining gripes from an OOB customer. With being made to feel a criminal if you ever needed service on your iphone, and how hard Apple is working to close down the ability to jailbreak phones, the iphone has lost much of it's appeal to me.

I wanted a phone that was customizable, and after weeks and weeks of trying to get my phone "just right," I realize that I'm still not happy with it. I enjoyed it as a mobile game platform, but heck, the 2g ipt does that, and I don't have to deal with dropping calls, data connections that won't let me download apps over 10mb without being on a WiFi network.

Other phones have quite a few of these options, and some have none. I personally find the locked down nature of the iphone to be the most frustrating part of owning it. I came from the Android community where creating a ROM was easy. You really don't have any ability to do that with the iphone, and it really lets me down.

Like I said before, I realize quite a few of those "gripes" can be at least patched by jailbreaking the phone, but honestly, aren't the people who jailbreak their phones even slightly let down at the fact that they have to create such ugly hacks such as creating blank/null'd icons just to make an open space in the middle of a springboard page?

I see the grip of Apple getting tighter and tighter around the iphone. Of course it's similar to Mac's as a whole and supporting only a very specific hardware architecture to run with their OS. Of course that is another discussion of it's own, but I feel I can't neglect mentioning it, as they are the same company afterall.

I apologize if this was a bit "here and there," I'm trying to write and quickly think at work, as I'm definitely interested in this conversation. I realize that I'm quite outnumbered in regards to how I feel about the iphone, but I hope I can bring some alternate light to the conversation.

Cheers

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone is cool and all stock out of the box, but if the jailbreak scene grinds to a halt then I will shift over to an open OS phone.

I will not own a stock phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    I think that I can do that for you.
    • Lacks functionality such as tethering which is built into other phones
    • Being forced to use itunes to sync any music with device is frustrating for Windows users
    • Forced firmware upgrades (refusing to sign 3.0 FW as an example)
    • Exchange/Gmail integration leaves a lot to be desired. (Threaded conversations, etc)
    • Lack of proper IM client without paying out the nose
    • Inability to customize phone out of the box
    • Cannot use as a storage device unless you own a Mac
    • Camera quality is terrible in comparison to others on market
    • Video recording only available OOB on 3GS models
    • Lack of widgets for tasks buried in the options menu
    • Worthwhile multitasking
    • Terrible radio (other phones on same network get much better signal quality)
    • Flash

Cheers
    1. If having internet access anywhere is that important then you have access to wifi, or you'll have a 3G USB stick on a contract. However if you just want to show off a gimmick to your rad college friends then tethering to a mobile is excellent.
    2. People that buy ipods know it needs itunes. You don't buy a petrol car then complain you can't fill it with diesel.
    3. Good point, If your phone is loaded with cracked apps and you're too cheap to ever spend 99c. If you're a legitimate iphone user then no effect.
    4. Email client is perfectly acceptable for most. Use web-based and create a shortcut. Simple solution.
    5. Not only are there numerous free apps and web-based solutions,the best IM client on any mobile device, Beejive, costs what? $10. Paying out the nose indeed.
    6. Customizing is always good. For 12 year olds. You're not a better UI designer than the folk at Apple. Trust me on that one.
    7. Get a USB key for storage. 2GB for about $10
    8. Camera quality is far superior to other similar devices.
    9. Buy a 3GS then? That's what people are buying these days
    10.Tasks are buried 'deep' in the options menu for a reason. You rarely need them. Most people wouldn't count 3 clicks as 'deep'
    11. Your life isn't that important that not being able to multi-task all day is going to effect anyone.
    12. Radio is perfectly fine. A sample size of 1 doesn't quite cut it when you're talking about a country with 300 million.
    13. Who cares.
    To live, you have to lie

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    6. Customizing is always good. For 12 year olds. You're not a better UI designer than the folk at Apple. Trust me on that one.
    Lol errm Apples Gui is crap. It is too generic looking and it leaves no room for personalization with the exception of a wallpaper?

People are disappointed with their stock phones once they browse through mine and rightfully so!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lom51 View Post
    ok, so how many or how little people did they ask, cause in all honesty, im not satisfied with the stock iphone in the slightest, so much needs to be done before i would even consider saying im happy with it.

stupid things that can be done through cydia like themes, 5 icon dock, 5 rows and coloums, these small yet usefull things make the iphone more useable and more fun.
    I don't know a single thing, that came out of the box and was good for me, everything had to be tweaked before it was good enough, but I am satisfied with something when I know it's capabilities, and Apple's iPhone can be used for SOOO much more than it is meant to be, and another thing about apple is quality, even though their products are expensive, you get more quality than other products, sure, they have some glitches, be it minor or major(like the exploding iPhone's), but they aren't global, you know. If you see the specifications for the iPhone, it kinda makes you think that the phone sucks ***, but when you hold it, and understand how it works, and you explore the world of iPhone apps, it changes your opinion. I would say that Apple has a few more things to clear up, before the iPhone is perfect, but right now, it's one of the most perfect combination of technology in one place, at least that's what I think. I am very satisfied with my jailbroken iPhone.

Oh, and by the way, imagine if the iPhone was stock as it is jailbroken, by this I mean, if the iPhone is OOB "jailbroken", than, apple would give all the tweaks, themes and all the stuff cydia has, a price, and they would probably use all their money to make sure that we couldn't find an entrance to their firmware and tweak it, theme it, etc, for free, and they would shut down Cydia and Icy, and every source there is...So be grateful for their iPhone as it is, at least you CAN tweak it

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

inline -

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    1. If having internet access anywhere is that important then you have access to wifi, or you'll have a 3G USB stick on a contract. However if you just want to show off a gimmick to your rad college friends then tethering to a mobile is excellent.
    - Having the ability to tether my netbook while on the road has been incredibly helpful in the past. Your mileage may vary, but I find it useful for both business and personal use.

2. People that buy ipods know it needs itunes. You don't buy a petrol car then complain you can't fill it with diesel.
    - Understandable, however the point remains that itunes is a bloated resource hog needed to simply move files from one location to another. Another really sweet tool that can do the same thing on other phones is called "Windows Explorer."

3. Good point, If your phone is loaded with cracked apps and you're too cheap to ever spend 99c. If you're a legitimate iphone user then no effect.
    - My iphone was a business line. After the crap that people were going through with coma mode, inability to send/receive calls, etc, when 3.1 was released. Those problems are completely unacceptable when I am on-call and my clients need immediate attention.

4. Email client is perfectly acceptable for most. Use web-based and create a shortcut. Simple solution.
    - So you are happy with mediocrity? I'm not.
    5. Not only are there numerous free apps and web-based solutions,the best IM client on any mobile device, Beejive, costs what? $10. Paying out the nose indeed.
    - Even the LG EnV had a stock messaging app that was acceptable for what it provided. An iphone should have better. Period.

- Please see image attached. The look of a single style of icon is much smoother than the default icons for the iphone. I suppose it's quite hard to create a better background than a plain black backdrop. I like the idea that I can wake a phone and quickly glance down to see if a missed call resulted in a voicemail. I like being able to see how many emails have come in without having to open my device and scan through them or look at push notifications. The look of the iphone is compared to a toy. Being able to create very similar icons that fit together in a much more elegant theme than what comes on the iphone is something even a 6 year old with a Win7 rig can accomplish.

7. Get a USB key for storage. 2GB for about $10
    - Devices such as the iphone and any other smartphones are designed to lower the amount of extras you may need to carry around. I'll refer you to a company called Victorinox. They make this neat little thing called a Swiss Army Knife.

8. Camera quality is far superior to other similar devices.
    - Other devices sport 5+ mpx cameras now, with better low light quality images. I know I love being able to stop while on a road trip and snap a quick photo instead of having to dig out my camera bag. Again, I refer to my usage of the word mediocrity.

9. Buy a 3GS then? That's what people are buying these days
    - I sold my 3GS. Mostly because of the inability to customize out of the box, and jailbreaking has become more and more of a pain in the ***. I don't feel the need to spend hours and hours figuring out which version of a jailbreak "should" work for my phone, or having to find someone who actually owns a Mac to create a custom .ipsw image.

10.Tasks are buried 'deep' in the options menu for a reason. You rarely need them. Most people wouldn't count 3 clicks as 'deep'
    - I keep coming back to this word. Mediocrity. The Android OS allows me to place a widget on any screen that's a toggle for things like WiFi, 3G, ram allocation, HDD storage. All of these come from the factory. It's helpful when you realize that you are going to be longer in some meetings than you had expected and can flip off WiFi or 3G to make sure your battery lasts you through the rest of the day.

11. Your life isn't that important that not being able to multi-task all day is going to effect anyone.
    - I get irritated that I have to close out of an application just to answer an SMS. If you're fine with wasting your time doing that, so be it. It's a bad design. It has been since day 1, and will continue to be so until Apple bothers to allow multitasking on their device. I don't need to see the boot-up screen for an application, or have to restart from where I was when the only thing I wanted to do was answer an SMS.

12. Radio is perfectly fine. A sample size of 1 doesn't quite cut it when you're talking about a country with 300 million.
    - This is obviously based on perspective. I don't believe that a free device from a carrier should be able to pick up a better signal than a $300 iphone. Everyone in my particular officebuilding cannot get 3G service on their iphones, (4 people including myself) however any other people will get 3G service, even when we compare the phones next to one another, or turn one off. (to prove that one phone isn't somehow causing connection problems with the other)

13. Who cares.
    - This comes down to perspective. I care, as it's a feature that is on more and more smartphones coming to the market. Hell, the Hero had flash back in June of this year. So, when is Apple planning on catching up?

In the end, everything is about the way a person perceives their wants and needs in a phone. When I switched my service to AT&T because my company wanted to pay for my mobile, I gladly jumped on board. I wanted the iphone to be my Jesusphone, but it just isn't. There are too many small flaws to make me completely fall in love with it. To know that I have to jailbreak my phone just to get features that I would expect out of the box makes me honestly wonder what all the hype was about.

In the end, I found myself with more of a novel toy than a device that really fit my needs on a day to day basis. I wanted to consolidate the amount of electronics that I carry around on a daily basis, and to do so with an iphone is a huge pain in the ***. I want to be able to tether without worries, so that when I get a page when on-call, I can simply connect over a WiFi network and assist my client. I respect that you may not see the benefit in that type of functionality, but that functionality makes my life better. Sure, I could ask my company to supply a USB fob for internet access that I may or may not need in a given month, but that's an irresponsible use of company resources, as well as just another device that I then need to carry around. (prime example of trimming down separate devices) When the amount of data that I use is likely going to be under 40-50mb in a month, the cost:benefit ratio just isn't there, however I absolutely will not give anything but 110% for the hospital systems that I support. The amount of revenue that can be lost in a single 1-2 hour service outage in an ED can be up to $25k or more. The sooner I get those systems up in case of a failure, the better it looks for my company as well as myself as a professional. I pride myself on being able to get network interfaces back up, or database problems resolved quickly so that the end user experience isn't tainted by frustration.

I hope that those explanations really answer why I'm let down with the iphone after it's been built up so much by a cult following. Perhaps I should have taken note from the regular die-hard Mac users and been more wary of my purchase. Until the time Apple comes out with a device that truly fits my needs, I'll be happy with my HTC Hero, even though it only supports EDGE. I can't wait for Telus Mobile to release the CDN variation where I will get 3G service. Then again, I really only get EDGE between my office and home so I don't see a huge difference in my day to day life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99% of iPhone Owners are Satisfied-icons.jpg  
    Last edited by TooSlo; 10-29-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: formatting/img attach

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlo View Post
    inline -

1. If having internet access anywhere is that important then you have access to wifi, or you'll have a 3G USB stick on a contract. However if you just want to show off a gimmick to your rad college friends then tethering to a mobile is excellent. - Having the ability to tether my netbook while on the road has been incredibly helpful in the past. Your mileage may vary, but I find it useful for both business and personal use.
    2. People that buy ipods know it needs itunes. You don't buy a petrol car then complain you can't fill it with diesel. - Understandable, however the point remains that itunes is a bloated resource hog needed to simply move files from one location to another. Another really sweet tool that can do the same thing on other phones is called "Windows Explorer."
    3. Good point, If your phone is loaded with cracked apps and you're too cheap to ever spend 99c. If you're a legitimate iphone user then no effect. - My iphone was a business line. After the crap that people were going through with coma mode, inability to send/receive calls, etc, when 3.1 was released. Those problems are completely unacceptable when I am on-call and my clients need immediate attention.
    4. Email client is perfectly acceptable for most. Use web-based and create a shortcut. Simple solution. - So you are happy with mediocrity? I'm not.
    5. Not only are there numerous free apps and web-based solutions,the best IM client on any mobile device, Beejive, costs what? $10. Paying out the nose indeed. - Even the LG EnV had a stock messaging app that was acceptable for what it provided. An iphone should have better. Period.
    6. Customizing is always good. For 12 year olds. You're not a better UI designer than the folk at Apple. Trust me on that one. - Please see image attached. The look of a single style of icon is much smoother than the default icons for the iphone. I suppose it's quite hard to create a better background than a plain black backdrop. I like the idea that I can wake a phone and quickly glance down to see if a missed call resulted in a voicemail. I like being able to see how many emails have come in without having to open my device and scan through them or look at push notifications. The look of the iphone is compared to a toy. Being able to create very similar icons that fit together in a much more elegant theme than what comes on the iphone is something even a 6 year old with a Win7 rig can accomplish.
    7. Get a USB key for storage. 2GB for about $10 - Devices such as the iphone and any other smartphones are designed to lower the amount of extras you may need to carry around. I'll refer you to a company called Victorinox. They make this neat little thing called a Swiss Army Knife.
    8. Camera quality is far superior to other similar devices. - Other devices sport 5+ mpx cameras now, with better low light quality images. I know I love being able to stop while on a road trip and snap a quick photo instead of having to dig out my camera bag. Again, I refer to my usage of the word mediocrity.
    9. Buy a 3GS then? That's what people are buying these days - I sold my 3GS. Mostly because of the inability to customize out of the box, and jailbreaking has become more and more of a pain in the ***. I don't feel the need to spend hours and hours figuring out which version of a jailbreak "should" work for my phone, or having to find someone who actually owns a Mac to create a custom .ipsw image.
    10.Tasks are buried 'deep' in the options menu for a reason. You rarely need them. Most people wouldn't count 3 clicks as 'deep' - I keep coming back to this word. Mediocrity. The Android OS allows me to place a widget on any screen that's a toggle for things like WiFi, 3G, ram allocation, HDD storage. All of these come from the factory. It's helpful when you realize that you are going to be longer in some meetings than you had expected and can flip off WiFi or 3G to make sure your battery lasts you through the rest of the day.
    11. Your life isn't that important that not being able to multi-task all day is going to effect anyone. - I get irritated that I have to close out of an application just to answer an SMS. If you're fine with wasting your time doing that, so be it. It's a bad design. It has been since day 1, and will continue to be so until Apple bothers to allow multitasking on their device. I don't need to see the boot-up screen for an application, or have to restart from where I was when the only thing I wanted to do was answer an SMS.
    12. Radio is perfectly fine. A sample size of 1 doesn't quite cut it when you're talking about a country with 300 million. - This is obviously based on perspective. I don't believe that a free device from a carrier should be able to pick up a better signal than a $300 iphone. Everyone in my particular officebuilding cannot get 3G service on their iphones, (4 people including myself) however any other people will get 3G service, even when we compare the phones next to one another, or turn one off. (to prove that one phone isn't somehow causing connection problems with the other)
    13. Who cares. - This comes down to perspective. I care, as it's a feature that is on more and more smartphones coming to the market. Hell, the Hero had flash back in June of this year. So, when is Apple planning on catching up?

In the end, everything is about the way a person perceives their wants and needs in a phone. When I switched my service to AT&T because my company wanted to pay for my mobile, I gladly jumped on board. I wanted the iphone to be my Jesusphone, but it just isn't. There are too many small flaws to make me completely fall in love with it. To know that I have to jailbreak my phone just to get features that I would expect out of the box makes me honestly wonder what all the hype was about.

In the end, I found myself with more of a novel toy than a device that really fit my needs on a day to day basis. I wanted to consolidate the amount of electronics that I carry around on a daily basis, and to do so with an iphone is a huge pain in the ***. I want to be able to tether without worries, so that when I get a page when on-call, I can simply connect over a WiFi network and assist my client. I respect that you may not see the benefit in that type of functionality, but that functionality makes my life better. Sure, I could ask my company to supply a USB fob for internet access that I may or may not need in a given month, but that's an irresponsible use of company resources, as well as just another device that I then need to carry around. (prime example of trimming down separate devices) When the amount of data that I use is likely going to be under 40-50mb in a month, the cost:benefit ratio just isn't there, however I absolutely will not give anything but 110% for the hospital systems that I support. The amount of revenue that can be lost in a single 1-2 hour service outage in an ED can be up to $25k or more. The sooner I get those systems up in case of a failure, the better it looks for my company as well as myself as a professional. I pride myself on being able to get network interfaces back up, or database problems resolved quickly so that the end user experience isn't tainted by frustration.

I hope that those explanations really answer why I'm let down with the iphone after it's been built up so much by a cult following. Perhaps I should have taken note from the regular die-hard Mac users and been more wary of my purchase. Until the time Apple comes out with a device that truly fits my needs, I'll be happy with my HTC Hero, even though it only supports EDGE. I can't wait for Telus Mobile to release the CDN variation where I will get 3G service. Then again, I really only get EDGE between my office and home so I don't see a huge difference in my day to day life.

The thing is, that when jailbroken, there's an app for almost all of those things, like NOTIFIER, that displays notifications on your LS, but if you don't want to spend a bit time to get your JESUSPHONE, ok, nobody can change your mind, I can relate to these flaws, it sometimes irritates me, but then again, when I think about it, all the other smartphones, either have viruses, frequently overflow with apps from multitasking(btw, there is a simple app, called BACKGROUNDER, which lets you simply click a button and the app goes in the background, while you can open other apps), they usually drain the battery so fast and so many other things

Green Apple
    Thanks
    tooslo and neo2 are having a quite interesting conversation... tooslo is perfectly right abt the problems of iphone but i would love to say again that i love my iphone cos i can do many things with it which i can't do with my other phones... specially cos it is not jailbroken...appstore is the perfect place to get apps cos u won't get get any cracked app from there like cydia or icy... i do appreciate the developers of cydia and icy cos they have brought many things for the people who can't get their hands on appstore... tooslo is right abt one thing that after jailbreaking you'll get a lot of headache to do.. i agree with him..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i wonder if most of the people surveyed were jailbroken or not, i wouldn't own an iphone if i couldn't jailbreak it. jailbreaking the phone brings up to a completely different level for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone almost fully baked
    i cant say im very happy with my iphone because still dont have a flash for taking pictures and as far for having a stock iphone i would rather have a touch pro 2....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds like a network problem to me...just sayin

But I want to know as well, did you ever get it replaced? This is the reason phones come with a warranty, a great warranty at that. One phone call to Apple would have had the phone replaced. You also have to take into account your coverage in the area. Did you ever reset the network settings? Did you call At&t and have them send a signal to the phone?? Did you ever restore your phone? These are all things any user on this site would perform before making a bold generalization like you did...
    Yes on all accounts. I had it replaced once, had air blown into various holes three times, I spent quite some time on the phone (land line) with AT&T, reset, rereset, restored several times. Now, do I qualify for the "bold generalization"? When you find out, after repeated attempts to have something remedied, Apple tells you "it's out of warranty" how would you feel?

Update: I called Apple and explained the situation. They offered to have another replacement phone as an exception since everything was documented. They asked for my ZIP code and found that there was an Apple store in Providence Place Mall, they called and verified that they had a phone for me. They did. I was instructed to go there and swap the phones. Well, I went there yesterday only to find that the store was closed for renovation until November 6! It turned out they called another store about 35-40 miles from me instead of the one we talked about which is about 6 miles from where I live. Now, they are FedExing a replacement phone with a hold on my credit card, etc.

Trust me, this is not just a "bold generalization" it is based on documented series of events. It is the result of dealing with two companies for the phone/service and each one pointing the finger in the opposite direction. I am not sure if the replacement will be any better, do I have any reason to be optimistic after one replacement and 3 shots of air blown in the holes?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm still waiting on a response to my prior comment.

Link to the post if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by NeO2 View Post
    The thing is, that when jailbroken, there's an app for almost all of those things, like NOTIFIER, that displays notifications on your LS, but if you don't want to spend a bit time to get your JESUSPHONE, ok, nobody can change your mind, I can relate to these flaws, it sometimes irritates me, but then again, when I think about it, all the other smartphones, either have viruses, frequently overflow with apps from multitasking(btw, there is a simple app, called BACKGROUNDER, which lets you simply click a button and the app goes in the background, while you can open other apps), they usually drain the battery so fast and so many other things
    I can understand where you are coming from in saying that "maybe you just need to set up your phone after jailbreaking." I also have taken a step back to look at this story with a wider perspective than just the jailbreaking community.

All of the gripes that I had are not solved by standard firmware updates, and are all features that other phones commonly have.

Regarding your statement about "viruses" on smartphones, I'm unsure of exactly what you're talking about. Providing a link to this may be helpful.

Notes to applications such as backgrounder. While they do exist, you've even stated that they absolutely destroy battery life. Other phones can run just fine without losing such a huge amount of battery life, why can't the iphone have that functionality built in?

In the end, we need to realize that only a small portion of people who own iphones actually jailbreak them. Those are the people who are going to end up sneding hours and hours on end figuring out exactly which cydia/rock/etc apps they need. Personally I'm tired of having to do that, and decided to move to a phone that I can easily modify. While the OS is still going through some growing pains here and there, the amount of functionality is awesome in comparison and has made me realize that if I'd wanted a toy or portable video gaming device, I would still own an iphone. Since I want more out of my phone, I've found that it was time for me to move past the hip and trendy phone to something that fully meets my needs without constant worry that if something happens to my phone, the replacement will always work the way that I want it to. I'll never be locked out, or unable to use another provider because the OS says so.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default "PHONE" is the key
    Take a look at my posts, one being just before the above post and find out why iPHONE is not a good PHONE. It is important for me, I don't know about others, that my PHONE is reliable. That is, when I see 5-bars it is ready to make and receive calls. The conversation for some reason keeps coming back to the "carrier" issues. This is not a carrier issue, if the signal is weak the PHONE should show that; so that I know I cannot make or receive calls. Maybe I will move to a different spot hoping to get better signal. The rest of the device has nice features, although I can repeat the above complaint for 3G as well. It shows 3G along with 5-bars but neither works; I am willing to live without 3G but not with an unreliable phone. That's me. Aside from that, music, pictures, video, etc. Well, is that called iPod Touch? What I am now carrying is iDevice, not a phone; because, call me strange if you like, but I expect my phone to COMMUNICATE; at least to tell me that it is unable to do so. Otherwise it is not a good phone, period.

Why must iPhone be defended against any legitimate complaints? The strength of hype is like an invisible shield against this product. Why must people like something that is "jailed" to begin with? Why is there a need to "jailbreak" the product? Are these not legitimate questions? You like it, that's great. Enjoy it. Why is there a tidal wave that tries to silence ANY complaint against this product? Fanaticism has not done any favors to any product as it leads the maker to complacency; now, we don't want that, do we?
    Last edited by acekin; 10-31-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

It doesn't have much to do with the signal, rather than an overloaded tower that's kicking you off of it.

Lovely

Not