Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ripdev - GOOD BYE

cydia is king? what about rock? Rock is awesome and it even lets me back up my cydia apps. Its also about 10x faster!

What's Jailbreak? iphoneprogrammer's Avatar
    Thanks
    OH MY GOD!!!! I will definatley pick up the source code for Icy. Hopefully me self and others can keep it running and make it even better. Me and a few co-workers have always wanted to pick up something like this and now the opportunity has presented itself. Can't guranntee anything, at the moment...but this is a a definite consideration for me. If you want to help email me at [email protected]
    Last edited by iphoneprogrammer; 10-28-2009 at 09:22 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyvan View Post
    so that leaves us with Cydia and Rock...I wonder which one will be the demise of the other..?!?! maybe they should just join forces and become "Cydia Rocks!"
    I like that name! (Cydia Rocks!)

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

kate=fail
    intelliscreen=fail
    icy=fail
    Although ripdev didnt put out anything that was "spectacular", they did put out products that bred innovation from their sometimes shoddy productions
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    intelliscreen=fail
    How so? I've been using it for years and it works fine with 3.1.2...

Was Intelliscreen even a product of RipDEV?

Man how the old days are so quicly forgotten when Installer was the ONLY option to load JB apps other than SSH'ing in to install the deb file directly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    intelliscreen=fail
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaharvard View Post
    Was Intelliscreen even a product of RipDEV?
    lawl no
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

mbaharvard (10-28-2009)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Hey, come on guys.

Ripdev has been an active member of the jailbreak community and has shown true dedication!

Ripdev, you will be missed.
    #eli7e revived me

What a bunch of ungrateful bastards you are...

Apparently you don't remember the 1.1.3 -1.1.4 days, OR Installer, OR Installer 4 which at the time were both faster than Cydia and had a much cleaner UI. These people worked their *** off to expand your iPhone/iTouch experience, and you bash them?

******* pathetic

Are some of your people totally dumb?

It has become blindingly obvious that some of you morons criticizing Ripdev obviously weren't on the iPod Touch 1G/iPhone Edge back in the day, during 1.x firmwares. Back then Installer was everything, it was king, it had no competition. If it wasn't for Installer and Ripdev then the jailbreak process as we know it (Cydia and Rock apps & install methods) and wouldn't have been here as quick. So all you idiots saying "OMG I NEVER USED IT!!!!! IT WAS **** AND SLOW AND NEVER DID NOWT FOR MEEE!!!" - Yes, it was **** during the past year, but in all honesty you are totally wrong. Installer has done EVERYTHING for you. If it weren't for them we may not be where we are now with the Jailbreak, if not then it wouldn't of been here half as quick at it has - in my opinion.

Yes, I agree Installer 4.x was ****, and was made for them to make $$, but still doesn't change the fact that they did tremendous things for the jailbreak community.

Icy wasn't that bad, I have it installed... but now I think i'll go uninstall it, sadly.

I for one would like to say thank you to the Ripdev team for everything they did during 1.x and 2.x, you were legend back in the day, and I thank you for that, I would also like to thank them for all the time they took developing all there apps, good and bad.

Good luck with everything you do in your future endeavors, and hopefully one day you may come back with something bigger... and better.
    Last edited by StefanCampbell1; 10-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebling View Post

Apparently you don't remember the 1.1.3 -1.1.4 days, OR Installer, OR Installer 4 which at the time were both faster than Cydia and had a much cleaner UI. These people worked their *** off to expand your iPhone/iTouch experience, and you bash them?

******* pathetic
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanCampbell1 View Post
    Are some of your people totally dumb?

It has become blindingly obvious that some of you morons criticizing Ripdev obviously weren't on the iPod Touch 1G/iPhone Edge back in the day, during 1.x firmwares. Back then Installer was everything, it was king, it had no competition. If it wasn't for Installer and Ripdev then the jailbreak process as we know it (Cydia and Rock apps & install methods) and wouldn't have been here as quick. So all you idiots saying "OMG I NEVER USED IT!!!!! IT WAS **** AND SLOW AND NEVER DID NOWT FOR MEEE!!!" - Yes, it was **** during the past year, but in all honesty you are totally wrong. Installer has done EVERYTHING for you. If it weren't for them we may not be where we are now with the Jailbreak, if not then it wouldn't of been here half as quick at it has - in my opinion.

Yes, I agree Installer 4.x was ****, and was made for them to make $$, but still doesn't change the fact that they did tremendous things for the jailbreak community.
    Ok, I feel the need to jump in here since I actually was around in the 1.1.4 days (since 1.1.1 actually). RipDev had NOTHING (read: was not at all involved) to do with the original Installer. Installer was developed by NullRiver up through version 3. It was a great program. It had a clean UI and was generally very stable. Then iPhone OS 2.0 came out and NullRiver left the jailbreak scene. They turned over the Installer project to RipDev, who produced Installer 4 as a means to sell their shoddy software (the program itself was also a disaster). RipDev then spent the next year or so coming out with a new piece of software every few months in an effort to pull people away from Cydia. The problem was, the software was always buggy and usually cost money. My personal favorite was the Installer App for your desktop computer. Billed as an alternative method for jailbreaking, the program cost $7 and almost never worked.

The reason I am bashing them is not because I am ungrateful. I have tremendous respect for all of the iPhone devs out there and firmly believe that they have a right to charge whatever they want for their work. What I have a problem with is the way RipDev continually tried to charge people for software that consistently was of poor quality. If a developer wants to charge for his or her work, that's fine with me. But if I'm paying for something, I think it's reasonable to expect it to work and to not brick my phone.

Just my two cents. But please get your history right before you go around calling other people who are raising legitimate criticisms morons.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacDevil7334 For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (10-28-2009), Sproch (10-29-2009)

+1 your correct

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

+2 for knowing what your talking about.

And while Im here.....countless people above need to review the rules for no profanity. Fair warning.

Thanks

I have to agree with ianbroste, it is still sad to see them go.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebling View Post

******* pathetic
    Yep! I remember how Installer would brick my phone every time there was an update, but I always had it on the phone regardless.

No matter their history...it sucks to see people leave the community.

Kate was cool before a bunch of other apps came out. Thats funny i read this because Ripdev charged my card like a week ago for something i never asked for, maybe it was a last ditch effort, luckily i caught it and they refunded it.

I would be sad to see them go, as any contribution to the JailBreak community is a good one, but I'm fairly sure they bought the rights to Installer.app and were just hoping to make money off its name. So.. yeah.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    ^Ripdev is not the Devteam bud
    lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234