+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: blackra1n RC2 Released, Tethered Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default blackra1n RC2 Released, Tethered Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS

George (GeoHot) Hotz released version RC2 of his blackra1n "all device" jailbreak tonight. The update fixes a number of issues, and includes a working version of Icy along with Mac support.

In the initial release, blackra1n jailbroke all iPhones and iPod touches running on iPhone 3.1.2 firmware except for the newer 8GB iPod touches. The update, blackra1n RC2, jailbreaks all iPhone and iPod touches, but the iPod touch and iPhone 3GS running the newer bootrom require tethered jailbreaks, meaning blackra1n must be run each time the iPhone or iPod touch is rebooted. There were a number of issues jailbreaking iPhone 3G devices under the original version which GeoHot claims to have fixed in the new release.

GeoHot's blog reports the following changes in RC2:
    • Fixed all issues that you might had when jailbreaking iPhone 3G with blackra1n RC1.
    • Tethered jailbreak for 3.1 OOTB iPod touch 8GB and all the new iPhone 3GSs.
    • Fixed Icy issues.
    • Works on both Windows and Mac.
    • If you used RC1 with success, no need to rerun

Windows and Mac downloads are available at blackra1n.com.

image via RedmondPie
    Last edited by Cody Overcash; 11-02-2009 at 04:00 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

harris36 (10-26-2009), louort3 (11-19-2009), MIL (10-27-2009), reanimationxp (10-26-2009), slik (10-26-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Score! That's great news for all the people with the new 3GS! Tethered is better than none at all. Still looking for that bootrom exploit!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

That's good news! Take that Apple. Game Over once again.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I would have a hard time ever using blackra1n again. Last time was the worst jailbreak experience I've ever had. When Apple updates the OS from now on, I'll wait for the Dev Team to do their thing. At least they know it's working before releasing. I don't trust the GeoHot fixed the 3G issues. And then he asks for donations? Forget it.
    The Buuf icon pack though page 350 can be found here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AMHNDKA7 or for those of you who asked for Rapidshare, here, http://rapidshare.com/files/34719307...Icons.zip.html

If my post helped you, don't forget to click Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone49er's Avatar
    Thanks

uhh what? I jailbroke my 3GS 3.1.2 with blackra1n version 1 without a hitch. why does it need to be tethered now?

And I have no problem giving GeoHot a donation. he put in a lot of good work!

Thanks

Thats great to hear for all people that were having problems

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone49er View Post
    uhh what? I jailbroke my 3GS 3.1.2 with blackra1n version 1 without a hitch. why does it need to be tethered now?

And I have no problem giving GeoHot a donation. he put in a lot of good work!
    you only need it tethered if you have a 3gs with the new bootloaders that are not vulnerable to the 24k exploit ... urs still jailbreaks so no need to worry about the tether

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

Working, Close to working, or not working at all at least he put's something out there for all the people who complain 24/7 about not being able to jailbreak and why is it taking so long and so forth. +1 for geohot and all he's done. (No matter how arrogant he is, he made me want to use my iPhone 3GS for once) Besides that this is awesome for all the new 3GS.
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAVAGE5 For This Useful Post:

ltoms76 (10-25-2009), reanimationxp (10-26-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_don View Post
    I would have a hard time ever using blackra1n again. Last time was the worst jailbreak experience I've ever had. When Apple updates the OS from now on, I'll wait for the Dev Team to do their thing. At least they know it's working before releasing. I don't trust the GeoHot fixed the 3G issues. And then he asks for donations? Forget it.
    GeoHot doesn't claim to do anything other than the Beta releases of this software. He has directly stated in the past that he essentially just cracks it and turns it over to others to be refined into a useable and more widely appealing product. I believe he's come up with quite a few of the jailbreaks and unlocks on his own. If you don't want to use his stuff that's fine, but don't rip him for not coming out with a full baked product when he's specifically stated that's not what he's trying to do.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DCBnG For This Useful Post:

aztek_indio (10-29-2009), bbillh77 (10-25-2009), derekthered (10-26-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (10-26-2009), MIL (10-27-2009), reanimationxp (10-26-2009), rkisling (10-26-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone silent1643's Avatar
    Thanks

worked for me - woot

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

So does this mean that I could use the original rain to avoid the tethered jailbreak?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DCBnG View Post
    GeoHot doesn't claim to do anything other than the Beta releases of this software. He has directly stated in the past that he essentially just cracks it and turns it over to others to be refined into a useable and more widely appealing product. I believe he's come up with quite a few of the jailbreaks and unlocks on his own. If you don't want to use his stuff that's fine, but don't rip him for not coming out with a full baked product when he's specifically stated that's not what he's trying to do.
    +1

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rberube For This Useful Post:

bbillh77 (10-25-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    So does this mean that I could use the original rain to avoid the tethered jailbreak?
    As long as your 3GS doesn't have the new bootrom, yes, you can avoid the new version.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    from what i understand, it was found that the newer 3GS couldn't be jailbroken because the 24k exploit that all jailbreak processes used was no longer in the coding. so people who bought a 3GS (after x date) could not jailbreak at all.

now, with blackra1n release 2, he's figured a way around that. but the downside is, it has to be tethered. so, no. if you have a newer 3GS that does not have the 24k exploit, you HAVE to use release 2, and you HAVE to be tethered to stay jailbroken.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine is jailbroken/unlocked on 3.0.1 so I can't make it rain.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

is there a way to jailbreak the 32 gig ipod touch 3G? is the only way a tethered way?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

Peteraziz07 (10-25-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i jailbreak using the the first blackra1n rc 1 for 3.1.2 on 3gs and for some reason i couldnt get any of the wallpaper to work so i uninstalled blackra1n to download the rc2 blaxkra1n and now its not showing i dont know if i uninstalled it wrong or what plz help and thank you

Thanks

why don't you jsut restore and jailbreak with the dev teams method? it works perfectly its what i did

24. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

Peteraziz07 (10-25-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i would but i cant caz i updated to 3.1 without jailbreaking so i guess that tho only way it would work for me using blackra1n i just want get my iphone 3gs jailbreak good lol y is it too hard for me

Thanks

no 3.1.2 dev team has an out of the box. since i odn't have to unlock i jsut upgraded and then used the dev team method it works perfect

27. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

Peteraziz07 (10-25-2009)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast