Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: blackra1n RC2 Released, Tethered Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS

I have a question guys....If I were to buy an iphone 3gs with the new bootrom, could I successfully jailbreak and unlock with blackra1n?
    No link... Thanks

you could JB with BlackRa1n and unlock with BlackSn0w but will have to run BlackRa1n every time you reboot.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    you could JB with BlackRa1n and unlock with BlackSn0w but will have to run BlackRa1n every time you reboot.
    I have just done this! How do I get around this rather than running Blackra1n everytime?

Were u able to resolve the tethered jailbrake on the GS?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevevalo View Post
    I have just done this! How do I get around this rather than running Blackra1n everytime?
    you cant, thats what it means when you have a tethered jailbreak. unless geohot or devteam figures something out, you have to run blackra1n everytime the battery dies or the phone/ipod is shut off. hopefully they figure something out soon (fingers crossed), if not just dont shut off your device.

It is unlikely that anyone will find a solution soon.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Default iphone 3gs jailbreak
    I have a Iphone 3GS firmware 04.26.08, 32 GB. I am running 3.01 (7a400). can I upgrade to any more recent firmware (i.e. 3.10, 3.12) and still jailbreak AND unlock with having a tethered jailbreak? Basically, what are my options if I don't want a tethered jailbreak? Any help would be appreciated.

You won't have a tethered JB - that is only for newer phones.
    Either Pwnage and UltraSn0w or BlackWeather will work.

Question, for the newer 3GS' with the tethered jailbreak, does blacksn0w still work or is it not unlockable?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It should. I haven't read anything that says you can't. Only limitation should be the tethered restart.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to realjaja For This Useful Post:

jekyoo_style (12-07-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by realjaja View Post
    It should. I haven't read anything that says you can't. Only limitation should be the tethered restart.
    I was puzzled also since no one stated it. Thanks for the clarification.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i'd wait a few days to see if anyone tells us otherwise. i personally used the blacksnow on a 3gs, but it was the one before the new iboot. i figure since it shares the same baseband, and hopefully same hardware, should be the same.

BlackSn0w works fine. It was only 24KPwn that was patched so the JB can't be injected.

Quote Originally Posted by Alika80 View Post
    you cant, thats what it means when you have a tethered jailbreak. unless geohot or devteam figures something out, you have to run blackra1n everytime the battery dies or the phone/ipod is shut off. hopefully they figure something out soon (fingers crossed), if not just dont shut off your device.
    Yes me too! Hopefully a Un-tethered jailbreak is released for iPhone 3GS newer models!

What month would u say Apple started shipping the new bootroms iPhone 3GS models? Its pretty much not gonna happen to purchase an older bootrom model from Apple...

Green Apple
    Thanks

So just by turning off the iphone, I have to jailbreak again with Blackra1n? I thought turning phone off and rebooting are two different things? Reboot to me is holding the home and power buttons down till system starts up again?

Default Better detail on Tether FW and """reboots"""
    I've seen, oh, eleventy-billion posts that say "the ipod 3 and any iPhone 3gs after week 41 is tethered which means if you reboot you have to run blackra1n again" - but what, exactly, does that mean?

If I allow the phone to reboot does that mean I lose ALL my JB apps and, after re-running blackra1n I have to again restore all my apps; OR does it mean that my phone isn't going to boot again PERIOD until I re-run blackra1n; - OR does it mean BOTH of those things?

Also - I have a brand-new never-before-attached-to-iTunes 3GS (week 48 according to the S/N). I don't really care about carrier unlock, but the how-to's I've seen say that I may be subject to an "automatic" hactivation, in which case I HAVE to run sn0w. Am I better off attaching to iTunes and getting this thing backed up fully first?

I assume that being week 48 and coming with 3.1.2 installed there's no option for me to go back to an earlier IPSW?

This is the most leery I've been a of a JB attempt yet. I travel for a living and have my phone and laptop constantly, but I really can't run any kind of risk of having this thing brick itself simply because it reboots. JB phones in general are unstable - I have to reboot this thing at least once every couple weeks, and at least one every month it does it on its own.

With a tethered JB when you reboot your phone it shows connect to iTunes - you then have to run BlackRa1n to get past that but you don't lose anything. Your phone will be unusable (except for emergency calls) until you run BlackRa1n.

JB phones are not inherently unstable but if you have to reboot yours that often I would not JB until an untethered JB becomes available which is not likely to be any time soon.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

So can I simply run blackra1n on _any_ computer, or does it have to be run on a system that has iTunes (and is married to my phone)? If I can keep the executable on a USB key and run it anywhere that will make me a lot more comfortable.

I believe you should be OK with the USB key - but I'm not sure. I'm fairly certain it will work but would advise trying before you need to rely on it and reporting back unless anyone else can confirm?

Nope - it needs the underpinnings of iTunes - the app crashes instantly on an "ordinary" PC.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast