+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone/iPod touch Fastest Growing Consumer Tech Ever

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In a presentation at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, Mary Meeker, the Managing Director of financial services firm Morgan Stanley , noted that the combined growth of the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone/iPod touch Fastest Growing Consumer Tech Ever

In a presentation at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, Mary Meeker, the Managing Director of financial services firm Morgan Stanley, noted that the combined growth of the iPhone and iPod touch has outstripped that of every other consumer electronics platform including the Wii and Playstation Por.

True, it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended), since the Wii is a gaming platform, and the iPhone is... well... a phone, in addition to being a multi-purpose mobile computing system. However, her slideshow, as reported by TechCrunch, does make a compelling case that the iPhone (which she somewhat confusingly referred to as the iTouch) has made an unprecedented impact in the mobile electronics market in the two years since it was first introduced.

Another statistic that comes as little surprise to iPhone owners is the rate of growth in data usage on AT&T's network since the iPhone was launched: a nearly fifty-fold increase, or as her chart depicted it, "4,932%":

What we've experienced as the network trembling to its knees is this dramatic scaling up in demand. Though many have criticized AT&T's poor planning for the increased load on their network caused by millions of iPhones, seeing a statistic like this definitely puts the issue in perspective.

Along the same lines, IndustryGamers noted a report by market research firm DFC Intelligence that indicated sales of devices like the Wii and PSP have largely leveled out. DFC analyst David Cole remarks:
    "The dedicated portable game systems from companies like Nintendo and Sony are still expected to lead the market, but it appears growth for these devices has peaked. The platforms from Apple are expected to be responsible for the bulk of market growth over the next few years."
    The report predicted that sales for games on the iPhone/iPod Touch will make up 24% of all games sold for mobile devices by 2014.

image via TechCrunch
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 10-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Just imagine what these numbers would look like if the iPhone wasn't exclusive to only At&t here in the USA...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Exactly if it was for all the other carriers there be way more then what they have now, and apple will be probably richer

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

As I watch my 1,000,000 iphone advertisement. I wonder if brainwashing may have anything to do with it. Don't get me wrong I have pretty much converted everything over to apple. Except work. In the medical field I work, the software is written just for windows. I just wonder how much I would have saved if I didn't have to help pay for an apple add every so many commercials.

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow more consumers buy iPod over RIM blackberry lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cssoz For This Useful Post:

1shuttle1 (10-25-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Just imagine what these numbers would look like if the iPhone wasn't exclusive to only At&t here in the USA...
    It would be very, very, very, very, very dang big! Looks like Nintendo has a new challenge against Apple
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Yup, open up to Verizon and T-Mobile in the USA and sales would surely jump, but Apple does these things slowly. Also, I haven't seen corporate numbers anywhere, but I know Regions bank for one here in Nashville will not allow employees access with iPhone only Blackberry. If Apple could convince some of these big paranoid corporations that the iPhone provides no more security risk that Blackberry then sales would surely be higher. Despite these two issues - seems like they are doing just fine.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 851 Posts

Cool. More people adopting this technology means that more people will will download my themes! I'm gonna be rich! Oh, wait they're free...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The sales would be phenomenal if they weren't exclusive to At&t. Still those stats are crazy as is! I do kind of like being the only one of my friends that has an iPhone though, so part of me is ok that they are exclusive.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 10-25-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks

why would we combine the iPhone AND the iPod touch and compare them to individual products?

I guess I'm confused because they share some similarities, but ultimately cater to different markets entirely. I bought my iPhone because I wanted a good phone. I have not and would never have bought an iPod Touch.

if they're not the same demographic, why combine them? To me, that's like Microsoft combining sales of the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable. or Nintendo combining sales of the DS and Wii. doesn't really make sense, though the product line shares similarities.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

badass1469 (10-24-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope I never see the iPhone on Verizon, they're by far the worst network I've ever dealt with.

These numbers are just insane, AT&T must be some sort of miracle worker to get that much increase in demand and still work perfectly.

Thanks

its an un fair graph cuz the ipod touch and and the iphone are together

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

that is an unfair graph as apple combined the ipod touch and the iphone sales as one, as you can see the bottom line says ipod. so the line graph is using two sources and doubling what it really is. the ipod and iphone are two different items. its like microsoft putting up the xbox, xbox 360, ibm computers, and thier zunes together as one. so in reality the line should be just above or just below the psp's graph line

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    why would we combine the iPhone AND the iPod touch and compare them to individual products?

I guess I'm confused because they share some similarities, but ultimately cater to different markets entirely. I bought my iPhone because I wanted a good phone. I have not and would never have bought an iPod Touch.

if they're not the same demographic, why combine them? To me, that's like Microsoft combining sales of the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable. or Nintendo combining sales of the DS and Wii. doesn't really make sense, though the product line shares similarities.
    lol microsoft dosent own the ps3 ps2 or psp scea a.k.a. sony. Microsoft owns the xbox and the 360 as well as the zune
    Last edited by badass1469; 10-24-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Thanks

I would like to see this graph a year after the oPhone comes out . I am sure they wont have anywhere near the success the iphone has ,or any of the top 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone treble26's Avatar
    Thanks

best selling products of all time

Thanks

Of course. iPhone is the coolest tech ever. At&t got a boost from iPhone and they is SUCK. If Apple open iPhone door to Verizon the iPhone market would be even bigger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

image via TechCrunch

In a presentation at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, Mary Meeker, the Managing Director of financial services firm Morgan Stanley, noted that the combined growth of the iPhone and iPod touch has outstripped that of every other consumer electronics platform including the Wii and Playstation Por.
    Wait, what?
    The Playstation Pro?
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 10-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks

pauldanielash, err...explain to us. What is a Playstation Pro?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

PlayStation Portable

Thanks

Now it reads "Playstation Por." Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Of course. iPhone is the coolest tech ever. At&t got a boost from iPhone and they is SUCK. If Apple open iPhone door to Verizon the iPhone market would be even bigger.
    They is SUCK? Terrible grammer! It's "They SUCK."