+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: From Books to "Nooks," Barnes and Noble Releases E-Book Reader

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via CNET Barnes & Noble has officially unveiled its electronic reading device dubbed "Nook." The world's largest book retailer is taking direct aim at Amazon's Kindle with this new
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default From Books to "Nooks," Barnes and Noble Releases E-Book Reader

Image via CNET

Barnes & Noble has officially unveiled its electronic reading device dubbed "Nook."

The world's largest book retailer is taking direct aim at Amazon's Kindle with this new device. And the launch from B&N takes the e-reading experience to a whole new level - a situation leading some to believe that a competitive struggle could emerge that will eventually draw Apple into the mix.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. For now, as CNET reported, the Nook has been formally rolled out with a price tag comparable to that of Amazon's latest edition of Kindle.

As nearly everyone already knows, Barnes & Noble is officially entering the e-reader business on Tuesday with the launch of the Nook, a $259 device with an e-ink display as well as a secondary color touch screen.
    The Nook, which will begin shipping around Thanksgiving, was announced in grand fashion, but the timing of the release could not have come at a worse time. After all, if Barnes & Noble would have had previous knowledge that Apple would be releasing a full slate of new products on Tuesday, it's unlike the book retail giant would have selected the same day to announce Nook's arrival.

The company plans to push the Nook in its bricks and mortar stores but with heavy mobile marketing aspects. Every time a customer brings their Nook into a Barnes & Noble store, for example, digital coupons and the latest promotions will be sent directly to the cutting edge new reader.

The Nook supports PDF, uses AT&T's wireless network, and can be customized with photos. "LendMe" technology lets users lend a book for up to two weeks from one Nook to another. 2GB of memory on board with Micro SD slot. Use of touchscreen and Android means new features can be added over time.
    Although the Nook was overshadowed by Apple, a lot of people will be talking about the new e-reader this week and its implications for both the tech and publishing industries in the years ahead.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 10-21-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

More pictures? different views please?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

i think sony already has somthing like this
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default kindle who?
    >kindle

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    More pictures? different views please?
    Nook.com has all the info plus a video. Looks cool but I wonder if apple has something better coming. Like maybe a new screen tech like the one used in OLPC computer
    Last edited by peteo; 10-20-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

thats a pretty cool product but i don't really like reading

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Looks cool. I can't wait to get an ebook reader. Wake me up when they're under $100 and has an open format.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

this will succeed.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, looks real nice. I was wanting to get a Kindle, but I may end up getting this one instead. I'm going to wait and see what Apple has in store first... but so far I'm really liking the Nook. Especially since B&N offers over a million ebooks.

Thanks

it uses att??
    that does not help us! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

I saw this yesterday and put my Sony E-Reader 700 up on Ebay. It doesn't get as much use because I still go to the store to get my books. I would love to have one that does ota buys. Plus the software Sony uses does not work on Windows 7 last time I tried. I know Kindle does but I has some school chapters that are in pdf form and didn't feel like doing th conversion stuff to get it on the Kindle.

Thanks

I don't like books, i can't concentrate enough to read for long periods of time...i'll rather do something else like play a sport or something

Thanks

The ability to share your purchases with other Nook/select smart phone device users is a nice touch.

Still $259 for just an e-book reader is too high of a price. When these hit $159 with at least 16GB of storage (to store different e-book file types, mp3, pdf, and other docs) then I will consider purchasing one.

...Great job though B&N, I was thinking of a Kindle and now the Nook looks like something I would really like to purchase....if it hits $159 that is...
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

The nook can do pdf files of your choice, and 2 gig of internal is still a lot of space for books. Also the slot for memory card can expand it to larger sizes.

In terms of support the Barnes & Noble Nook can read EPUB and eReader formats as well as the ability to view PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP and play MP3 files.
    Source: http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...s-and-details/

2GB Internal memory/storage (up to 1,500 eBooks)

virtually unlimited using Micro SD expansion slot; a 16GB card holds up to 17,500 eBooks
    Source: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-22-2009 at 05:56 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

that is looking pretty cool the ebook actually looks real

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I wonder if this will work in Canada...meaning, can I still purchase books with B&N using the AT&T network while in Canada? Or will this be via wifi only?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Cerote:
    I use Stanza on my desktop and on the iPhone. Check it out. It is free in the app store.

I don't see the draw of these readers.

Thanks

I have a Sony E Reader 700. I liked it but it had to much glare. I was changing over to this one. I have tried reading books on my iPhone and PSP. But the screen is to small and the e readers have been much easier on my eyes. Also the GF and I use the same e reader, so I can't leave my iPhone at home while at work. Thanks for that one, will check it out though.