+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wolfram Alpha Introduces $50 iPhone App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via Wolfram Alpha While the rest of the world watched in anticipation of Apple's quarterly earnings announcement, Wolfram Alpha quietly introduced their new iPhone application into the App Store
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Wolfram Alpha Introduces $50 iPhone App

Image via Wolfram Alpha

While the rest of the world watched in anticipation of Apple's quarterly earnings announcement, Wolfram Alpha quietly introduced their new iPhone application into the App Store on Monday.

As the "official" application for Wolfram Alpha, an answer engine from Wolfram Research, users will have no choice but to pay up for this high-brow app, as it was introduced with a $50 price tag.

Why fifty bucks? Ian Paul at PC World tried to take a stab at this one.
    One of the app's main advantages is as a replacement for graphing calculators, which can cost upward of $100; however, it should be noted that regular graphing calculators don't need a Wi-Fi connection to work.
    Despite offering a multitude of neat functions - graphing calculator, calorie counter, international economic index, astronomy guide, etc. - its difficult to imagine this app achieving any degree of notable success at such a lofty price. The app, after all, is simply a compressed, portable, carbon-copy of the website, which is accessible as a Firefox add-on.

Let's not forget, however, that Wolfram Alpha was initially hyped up to be the "next Google," even though those behind the search engine never shared those hopes or intentions. But even Google wouldn't have the audacity to introduce a $50 app.

If you type "graphing calculator" into iTunes you get results for 27 iPhone apps, ranging in price from zero to $10.
    Sad but true, the Wolfram Alpha iPhone is getting more attention today for its cost than it is anything else, although Ian Paul also managed to note that Apple gave the app an age-restricted rating of 9+ due to "infrequent/mild profanity or cruel humor."

Well, if we're going to cough up fifty bucks for this app, there should at least be some entertainment value, right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

wow thats rediculous i am in the wrong business i need to learn how to program iphone apps. lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

whereswaldo (10-20-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    wow thats rediculous i am in the wrong business i need to learn how to program iphone apps. lol
    Me Too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Me Too.
    LMAO same

Thanks

It must have a built-in 3G-video-streaming easter egg for a price like that.

Thanks
    just got this, its not even that cool

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sansan For This Useful Post:

ipoong (10-20-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Overpriced publicity hounds!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

If you complain about the price tag, you don't "get" what Wolfram-Alpha is really capable and most importantly, IT'S NOT FOR YOU.

EDIT: There's tons of expensive apps in the story you never hear about because they have a niche audience and serves for a specific purpose. This is one of those apps.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wink Use SpaceTime instead
    There was always a problem with pricing with products from them.

For the last 4 months, I have been using SpaceTime which has both a Mac/PC desktop application and an iPhone version. In some respects it is more powerful than Mathematica, for example it allows you to mix symbolic math with computational scripts (so derivatives are given in symbolic form), but the rest looks like FORTRAN/C code. The pricing is much better ($19.99).

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

hmm..thats funny.. i didnt pay a dime for this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Graphing calculators are clutch. Ive still got my TI but this might be worth it to integrate...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What I want is Mathematica for the iphone. I mean, my old 386 with 4MB ram and 40 MB HD could run Mathematica 2.2 without major problems. Why can't they release an "abbreviated version" for the iphone that would be comparable to Mathematica 3.0 (a pretty good version, quite comparable to the current one, only quite smaller). Heck! I'd even pay $100 for it!

Thanks

For $50 this thing better perform sexual acts. IMO, this isn't worth it at all, and they will either be dropping the price or the app altogether pretty soon. Anyone who buys this is soft.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the average user that this is handy for is a student. Being that students can;t use their phones instead of a graphing calculator for exams, I don't see this doing well. Don;t see engineers and the like replacng their true calcs with a phone app.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This app is actually very nice. using it solve integrals is what i have been using it for recently. But there is just sooooo much u can do with wolfram.

If ur complaining about the price you obviously either dont need it or dont know what its capable of.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ixbilalxi View Post
    This app is actually very nice. using it solve integrals is what i have been using it for recently. But there is just sooooo much u can do with wolfram.

If ur complaining about the price you obviously either dont need it or dont know what its capable of.
    So can anyone tell me some uses for this besides solving equations? Maybe I need this app and I just don't realize it yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

It'll be .99 in 3-5 months. :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

so how is this different from using the web version at wolframalpha.com?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggie216 For This Useful Post:

y0haan (10-20-2009)

Thanks

Thats a crazy price but bet its all worth it

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
    hmm..thats funny.. I didnt pay a dime for this.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    For $50 this thing better perform sexual acts. IMO, this isn't worth it at all, and they will either be dropping the price or the app altogether pretty soon. Anyone who buys this is soft.
    since your are the poster of this statement it is obvious that is in you own opinion, and for the $50 dollars dont complain about it, cuz ur not gonna buy it anway. The person that really needs it I'm positive they will not complain at all.
    Last edited by badass1469; 10-20-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck