+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Finally Admits "Rare" Nano Meltdowns

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
image via appledefects.com Apple has acknowledged for the first time that batteries in some 1st generation iPod nano units sold in 2005 and 2006 can overheat, kill the device, and
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Finally Admits "Rare" Nano Meltdowns

image via appledefects.com

Apple has acknowledged for the first time that batteries in some 1st generation iPod nano units sold in 2005 and 2006 can overheat, kill the device, and melt the case. A knowledge base article described the problem, reported on [ame="http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=121264"]iPod user forums[/ame] for some time, and indicated support was available, a suggestion that the problem may be covered under AppleCare.

The knowledge base article, "iPod nano (1st generation): Rare cases of battery overheating," describes the battery overheating issue, but calls it "rare" and says it's not associated with a single battery manufacturer:

Apple has determined that in very rare cases, batteries in the iPod nano (1st generation) sold between September 2005 and December 2006, may overheat and prevent the iPod nano from working and deform it.

Apple has received very few reports of such incidents (less than 0.001 percent) and the issue has been traced to a single battery supplier. There have been no reports of serious injuries or property damage. Additionally, there have been no reports of such incidents with any other iPod nano model.
    Symptoms of the problem that would qualify a stricken iPod include discoloration, overheating, and deformation of the case near the battery enclosure. The problem most likely need not be as severe as the photo above to qualify the unit for service or - one would hope - replacement.

An objective observer could raise the question as to why Apple is choosing this moment to come forward and pay attention to a problem that has been reported since these units - four years old in some circumstances - came off the assembly line. While taking responsibility is always to be applauded, the timing suggests there may have been some pressure applied to Apple in this case.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-19-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: link to KB article

Green Apple
    Thanks

lmao
    ipod nano got owned :P
    no signature links...Please

Thanks

the image hurts me

Thanks

"deform it". LOL, I'd say that's an understatement.
    Apples taste good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

ooh fun! i got rid of my first gen a while ago... of well...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

That is kind of funny
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thats gotta be a hoax!

Thanks

It's possible for anything that has a battery can overheat or short out

Thanks

Hey Paul,

Don't mean to be a douche, but you said that they are not narrowing it down to one battery manufacturer and in your quote it says that they have narrowed it down to just one. Just thought I'd point that out.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Thanks

i still have my first gen, i think i will be more carefull around it now
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

In the picture it looks like it caught fire.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

If that happened to me. I make sure I get hurt really bad. Then take Apple to court.

Haha Just Kidding. I hope nobody get hurt on the "Meltdowns"

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol... that sucker looks so deformed
    White 3GS 16GB 3.1.2 Unlocked Currently using
    Black 3G 8GB Backup phone
    White BNIB 3GS 32GB "dust collector"

Thanks

Wow that's crazy what's to say this couldn't happen to any othe apple device such as our phones? I sure hope not cause i've encountered some over heating and the phone shutting down by itself
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

It looks like as if someone lit on some flame and put it near the iPod nano.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Maybe this is why Apple suddenly acknowledged the problem:

Apple tried to silence owner of exploding iPod with gagging order - Times Online

From The Times
    August 3, 2009

Apple tried to silence owner of exploding iPod with gagging order

Ellie Stanborough with the exploding ipod

(Steve Morgan/The Times)

Ellie Stanborough, 11, with the device. "It made a hissing noise and went pop"
    Murad Ahmed, Technology Reporter

Apple attempted to silence a father and daughter with a gagging order after the child’s iPod music player exploded and the family sought a refund from the company.

The Times has learnt that the company would offer the family a full refund only if they were willing to sign a settlement form. The proposed agreement left them open to legal action if they ever disclosed the terms of the settlement.

The case echoes previous circumstances in which Apple attempted to hush up incidents when its devices overheated.

Ken Stanborough, 47, from Liverpool, dropped his 11-year-old daughter Ellie’s iPod Touch last month. “It made a hissing noise,” he said. “I could feel it getting hotter in my hand, and I thought I could see vapour”. Mr Stanborough said he threw the device out of his back door, where “within 30 seconds there was a pop, a big puff of smoke and it went 10ft in the air”.

Mr Stanborough contacted Apple and Argos, where he had bought the device for 162. After being passed around several departments, he spoke to an Apple executive on the telephone. As a result of the conversation, Apple sent a letter to Mr Stanborough denying liability but offering a refund.

The letter also stated that, in accepting the money, Mr Stanborough was to “agree that you will keep the terms and existence of this settlement agreement completely confidential”, and that any breach of confidentiality “may result in Apple seeking injunctive relief, damages and legal costs against the defaulting persons or parties”.

“I thought it was a very disturbing letter,” said Mr Stanborough, who is self-employed and works in electronic security. He refused to sign it.

“They’re putting a life sentence on myself, my daughter and Ellie’s mum, not to say anything to anyone. If we inadvertently did say anything, no matter what, they would take litigation against us. I thought that was absolutely appalling.

“We didn’t ask for compensation, we just asked for our money back,” he added.

Last week it emerged that Apple had tried to keep a number of cases where its iPod digital music players had started to smoke, burst into flames and even burned their owners, out of the public eye.

An American reporter obtained 800 pages of documentation on the cases from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) following a Freedom of Information Act request in that country. However, she was unable to get hold of the documents for months after “Apple’s lawyers filed exemption after exemption”.

In those cases, CPSC investigators suggested that the iPods’ lithium ion batteries could be the source of the problem.

In 2006 Apple and Dell recalled millions of lithium ion batteries because of overheating problems in laptop computers causing fires — some of the biggest consumer electronics recalls in history. As of September last year, 173,000,000 iPods have been sold worldwide.

A number of bloggers have reported cases where iPods have exploded — usually involving older versions of the digital music players. Last year the Japanese Government warned that iPod Nanos presented a potential fire risk, saying there had been 14 cases in the country where the players had caught alight, with two people suffering minor burns.

In March, a mother in Ohio began court proceedings against Apple, after her son’s iPod Touch allegedly exploded in his pocket, burning his leg.

An Apple spokesman said that, as the company had not looked at the Stanboroughs’ damaged iPod, it could not comment. Argos also refused to comment.

The Trading Standards Institute said that it could not comment on whether such letters were standard across the industry, but that it could understand that Apple would want to protect its reputation by trying to reach a confidential settlement.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm I wonder if I can get some plastic and make myself a broken nano X-D.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Warning iPods are dangerous keep away from children