Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are Verizon's New Commercials iPhone "Attack Ads"?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Are Verizon's New Commercials iPhone "Attack Ads"?

Image via erictric.com

It isn't news, but its making headlines this weekend: Verizon doesn't like AT&T... or Apple.

And, frankly, Verizon wants us to know it. Consequently, it seems Verizon is behind the launch of what some are calling a blatant "attack ad" on the iPhone that rivals some of the worst political attack ads we've seen in recent years.

The ”iDevice” is what Verizon is calling the iPhone in the ad.

From TheiPhoneBlog.com:

Verizon has now aired their first new Android 2.0-centric, anti-iPhone (technically “iDon’t iDevice”) attack ad and placed a new website online to go with them.
    The campaign has already been rolled out, but if you're yet to see the controversial commercial in question, it will reportedly be featured prominently during Sunday's NFL games.

Here's Daring Fireball's take:

“Droid” is going to be a Verizon-owned brand. It’s purportedly a Motorola-manufactured phone, but Verizon is the licensee of the “Droid” trademark. (Which name, by the way, strikes me as the perfect name for an Android OS phone — sort of implicitly establishes it as the Android phone.) That’s the big thing. Verizon doesn’t see itself as a mere carrier for other companies’ phones. It sees itself as being bigger than the phones. It’s Verizon-vs.-Apple in this spot, not Verizon-vs.-AT&T.
    No matter which carrier is behind an "attack ad," I hate to see competition devolve into mudslinging, which is exactly what the "iDevice" mockery add truly is. Instead of emphasizing the quality attributes of a handset or its carrier, this campaign resorts to little more than simply degrading a competitor.

So what can we glean from these ads? Call me crazy but if Apple should allow their exclusivity deal with AT&T to expire, it's unlikely that the iPhone will find a home at Verizon any time soon.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

iDont like Verizon.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (10-18-2009), mad102190 (10-19-2009), mastuul (10-18-2009)

Thanks

iDon't either. iDon't have the money for their overpriced service. iDon't buy into their commercials of "service everywhere". iDon't care if they like it or not. iDo think jealousy is the best form of flattery.
    Apples taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    iDont like Verizon.
    iAgree

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bite the curb For This Useful Post:

mad102190 (10-19-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How is this degrading? True, its resorting to word play and talk backs, but its listing what it (verizon) feels is missing from a phone.

Verizon is offering a phone with the above things the iPhone is missing (or so the comercial leads us to believe).

Just because it goes against something, doesn't mean its an attack. Its called "Constructive Critisism" people.

I would be incredible happy if the iPhone had 4/7 of the listed features. It doesn't, and Verizon is adressing it, and releasing what "THEY" believe is a better phone.

Will it be? It better, cuz if it isn't, verizon loses A LOT of credibility...

Edit:
    wait, you guys think verizon is expensive? I really hope your not comparing it to having an iPhone with an AT&T plan...
    Last edited by Kamil18; 10-17-2009 at 10:16 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kamil18 For This Useful Post:

gbarielmoreno (10-18-2009), ifonemaniac (10-19-2009), llescaflownell (10-18-2009), picassolsus (10-18-2009), xxdobermanxx (10-18-2009)

Default Very clever
    Their Add is VERY CLEVER, APPLE is STILL doing it to MICROSOFT

so goes around comes around, and what they are saying is very true.

Apple protects their firmware wayyyyy too much.

i hate apple fans who owns an iphone because its an "iphone" and talkshit to anything or anywho whos against the iphone

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgshadow For This Useful Post:

daxter146 (10-18-2009), ifonemaniac (10-19-2009), Jahooba (10-17-2009), llescaflownell (10-18-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (10-18-2009), mythamp (10-18-2009), panzival (10-18-2009), picassolsus (10-18-2009), shoemann (10-18-2009), xxdobermanxx (10-18-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess it's all about what the customer wants. Frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of Apple making it a point to be a total pain in the *** at every turn and even more tired of "policy" being made up as Apple and AT&T go along. Like how come EyeTV and Slingplayer aren't allowed to stream, citing AT&T's "policy" of not allowing live streaming TV, but Orb can do it? Or any other phone that supports Slingplayer, such as Windows Mobile? Both companies have so far gotten away with doing whatever they damn well please, maybe some competition will give some power back to the customer. If mud slinging starts to get things done, I say drag 'em thru the mud, face down, by their so far numb corporate testicles.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgamber For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (10-18-2009), Kiserai (10-17-2009), picassolsus (10-18-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil18 View Post
    How is this degrading? True, its resorting to word play and talk backs, but its listing what it (verizon) feels is missing from a phone.

Verizon is offering a phone with the above things the iPhone is missing (or so the comercial leads us to believe).

Just because it goes against something, doesn't mean its an attack. Its called "Constructive Critisism" people.

I would be incredible happy if the iPhone had 4/7 of the listed features. It doesn't, and Verizon is adressing it, and releasing what "THEY" believe is a better phone.

Will it be? It better, cuz if it isn't, verizon loses A LOT of credibility...
    Its not constructive critisism between two major competitors...come on...its not like Verizon is saying "Hey, you should add this stuff, that would be really cool"......give me a break, they are attacking ATT/Apple hoping to persuade people. Lol. Simple as that. All competitors do it.

PS- Im not a fanboy, Ive owned several Verizon PDA devices and had their service for years. I prefer ATT and I currently use the iphone and a blackberry.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe...

But if this Verizon Android phone DOES become successful, and puts a dent into the iPhone's grip, it WILL become constructive criticism. Thats how capitalism works.

Adapt, or be left in the dust.

Wouldn't ANYONE be happy if the iPhone adopted some of theses features?

The point is, everyone feels THEY lose, when apple loses, when thats not the case.

when a company wins to long, consumers lose. And we like competition. Because, then, we win.

Verizon is definitely on attack mode lately. Haven't you all heard the new commercials "There's a MAP for that"? Sound familiar?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37NKnDRPFKU]YouTube - There's a map for that - Verizon commercial[/ame]
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

whereswaldo (10-18-2009)

Thanks

I partly agree, BUT......

Dont think you understand what "constuctive critisism" is.

Its critisism offered in order to HELP or PROVIDE IDEAS to someone. Seriously doubt Verizon is trying to help ATT/Apple.

It's a little bold IMO. I too have had verizon and ther coverage wasn't to good and there prices are a little more expensive than AT&T.
    Anyway it's easy to improve on someone elses idea And this will be the, what 3rd phone or something that verizon will offer that "tries" to compete with the iPhone? Lol

19. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

Blackrhino28 (10-18-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by mgamber View Post
    I guess it's all about what the customer wants. Frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of Apple making it a point to be a total pain in the *** at every turn and even more tired of "policy" being made up as Apple and AT&T go along. Like how come EyeTV and Slingplayer aren't allowed to stream, citing AT&T's "policy" of not allowing live streaming TV, but Orb can do it? Or any other phone that supports Slingplayer, such as Windows Mobile? Both companies have so far gotten away with doing whatever they damn well please, maybe some competition will give some power back to the customer. If mud slinging starts to get things done, I say drag 'em thru the mud, face down, by their so far numb corporate testicles.
    Totally agree. Some good old mudslinging usually winds up giving customers what they want. Companies have a way of getting things done quicker when it cuts into there profits. Bring on the mud. Verizon just has to hire someone that can play an iPhone(who appears to be a Dumbass) like apple did with the PC guy in the commercials.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 1shuttle1 For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (10-17-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Anyone remember "Redmond, start your photocopiers"?

Apple isn't sweating this, cause they've had it coming. They pretty much wrote the book on rallying up customers by focusing on what everyone else isn't doing, and should be, according to their standards.

Verizon has learned from the best, whereas Mircosoft has only employed tiny little tidbits of Jobs&Co.'s slamming methods.

Apple will suck it up if they're smart.

Of course, the "white mob" of Jobheads will always shake their fist and act like this is some kind of commercial atrocity while completely and blissfully unaware of Apple's tendency to do the same thing.

Its a humorous mockery of a lack of features

A la Justin Long Mac ads. 'Nuff said.

EDIT:
    Verizon just has to hire someone that can play an iPhone(who appears to be a Dumbass) like apple did with the PC guy in the commercials.
    Exhibit A.
    Last edited by never2hollywood; 10-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Sweet. Someone should be attacking Apple, preferably full-time. What's interesting is that it's Verizon, a telecommunications company attacking a hardware supplier. Very interesting, indeed.

So I guess this means that Verizon isn't getting the iPhone. And judging by the "balls" they're showing, this Droid thing must be the ****. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks

I agree with verizon we should have complete control over the iphone but whatever that's why there's jailbreaking to do things apple doesn't allow but what if the iPhone was exclusive to verizon? Would they allow more to the iPhone or not? That's the big question here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Every single one of those is true so i don't see a problem with it, and maybe apple will look at those issues now.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jaredb03 For This Useful Post:

picassolsus (10-18-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    iDon't either. iDon't have the money for their overpriced service. iDon't buy into their commercials of "service everywhere". iDon't care if they like it or not. iDo think jealousy is the best form of flattery.
    iDon't know why you think you're paying significantly less at AT&T. iDon't get it. Their rate plans are nearly identical.

Lovely

Not

29. The Following User Says Thank You to GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL For This Useful Post:

llescaflownell (10-18-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm actually really glad that Verizon is doing this. Somebody has to have the balls to call AT&T and Apple on their ********, and Verizon is one of the only companies out there big enough to do it. And you're right, Apple in particular has had this coming for a long time. Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot, is it?

The things listed in that add are major gripes about the stock iPhone firmware that I've always thought were really stupid. The physical keyboard and the interchangeable battery thing don't really bother me personally that much, but everything else on that list is the exact reason why I will only run jailbroken firmware from here on out.

Apple is being a total firmware Nazi with the iPhone and AT&T has dropped the ball on several of its promises recently. They have no intention to offer tethering in 2009, and I'm sure Apple has no plans to open up development on its platform any time soon (although I think it would benefit everybody in the end if they did).

If Verizon and the "Droid" are capable of doing those things and offering a user experience truly on par with the iPhone, Apple especially had better perk up their ******* ears and take notice. It's about to get a lot less lonely at the top...
    Last edited by Kiserai; 10-18-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast