+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another Augmented Reality Check for iPhone Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Another Augmented Reality Check for iPhone Users

Image via Wired

More now than ever, the iPhone 3GS finds itself toiling in the world of augmented reality, a unique genre comprised of mobile applications capable of superimposing contextual digital information directly over your real environment as perceived through the eyes of your smartphone.

For fans of augmented reality, Google's Android platform has had the iPhone beat in this department thanks in no small part to the augmented-reality juggernaut known as Layar.

But as the New York Times and Gadgetwise reported this morning, Layar is out with version 2.0 of its popular app for the iPhone 3GS.

Previously available to Android users, Layar uses the iPhone’s live camera feed (and its GPS and compass capabilities) to superimpose data and graphics, meaning users can select a layer from sites like Wikipedia, Flickr and Twitter, then point their phones at surrounding points of interest to get information about the selected target.
    Although Layar 2.0 just became available as a free download from Apple's App Store, we will have to wait a while for the
    iPhone version of 3.0, which comes to the Android next month. (3.0 will be exponentially cooler, as 3D capabilities
    will be added).

At its most basic, the app is useful for finding information like restaurant reviews and real estate listings. It is a free download that requires O.S. 3.1 and an iPhone 3GS to work.
    While certainly not for everyone, augmented reality apps like Layar represent the future of apps - those that fuse a variety of features (compass, GPS, camera, etc.) for awesome and equally innovative uses.

Thanks

Cool, I only wish my iTouch had a camera so I could use it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spazturtle For This Useful Post:

tom q (10-19-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You'd need built in gps and internet connection also for the content to be loaded up (thats why its specificaly aimed at 3GS).

These type of apps are great but you always need to be 'online' to get the information (very costly when roaming!).

An app that would come complete with wikipedia content for a particular country would be great. Then you would not need to be 'online' all the time.

Thanks

Wikipedia database on the iPhone, do you have a 50TB iPhone?

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd use it if I didn't have to upgrade to 3.1... Why not just make them compatible for 3.0+?

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Wikipedia database on the iPhone, do you have a 50TB iPhone?
    It doesn't need to be nearly that big. Here's iPhonePedia which has the English version for 180MB: http://trac2.assembla.com/iPhonePedia/wiki
    Last edited by billchase2; 10-16-2009 at 07:23 AM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

i was irked when yelp got updated and itunes took it off my phone because i am on 3.0 and it is now 3.1 dependant. its garbage! myspace mobile did the same thing
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You may still be able to find those apps in your recycle bin on your computer. If you just restore them back to your iTunes folder you can double click them and get them back on your phone. You'll just have to be careful about updating.

Thanks

Why didn't you disable Apple kill switch?

Thanks

just one more reason i wish i had a 3gs instead of a 3g just to try this junk out and see what all the buzz is.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Augmented reality is really cool