+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: In-App Purchases in Free Apps are a go

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
see i think there isnt really much of a difference here. whats the difference from installing a cracked app, or downloading a song of limewire, or rapidshare or w.e its
    Green Apple
    Thanks

see i think there isnt really much of a difference here. whats the difference from installing a cracked app, or downloading a song of limewire, or rapidshare or w.e

its really no different at all, i mean either way, someone isnt making as much money as they should.

The difference, is that some people,Like myself, Support the things they enjoy and believe to be a truely great product. For example, if i download a movie or album, and i truely love it, ill go out and buy it, even if i already had it (hacked/pirated). The same is true for iphone apps, for example i had a trip recently and i cracked Flightupdate, and a number of other similar programs (about 4others) i tried them on my trip and i felt like flightupdate was a great program, so i bought it. needless to say , i deleted and did not purchase the other programs. If i had i would have asked for a refund.

so the point is, there is a such thing as a moral thief.

And some of you have already mentioned it, if apple does infact succeed in proving that jailbreaking is illegal, then MMi will only be facilitating this, but do you think its gonna shut down willinilli just because apple says this ? not a chance.

censorship is retarded. you just have to trust that some people will make the right choices , and if theyre not, them maybe you should make a better program for crying out loud instead of wining that people are stealing it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry mods for getting this thread going in this direction. I'm curious as to A.T's point. Most mods (if not all cause it is the rules) have a very strong stance against piracy. If I'm not mistaken Apple is in the process of trying to say jailbreaking is copyright infringement. From what little I've read the case is very grey, but say they do win in court and make it illegal is MMi gonna pull all stuff related to jailbreaking from the site???

That would be a sad day.

Cheers, and despite the fact that I have questionable ethical values I really do appreciate the help I've gotten on this site so far. So guys are super geeks - and that's a big compliment coming from an idiot wannabe!
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Thanks

i don't think that there is one person with an iPhone/touch that hasn't used a hacked app at one point or another, Its human nature to want to know if you can get something for nothing, maybe it was deleted instantly? i don't know? but don't come on here taking the moral high ground...

question need answering, would MMI still operate as it does today if Apple won their case?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

^^^ Of course not! If jailbreaking became illegal this site would most likely get shut down by the admins or Apple's legal staff. As it sits right now nothing we discuss on this site even comes remotely close to breaking the law so it's business as usual. If you wanna talk about stealing then go find somewhere else to hang out and post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by operate View Post
    umm what?! why would they do this now?! ive bought a buncha apps that developers said they would offer free if they could if apple allowed in-app purchases, like TTR3, so basically apple just took extra money thruough this move...SMH, this is why the jailbreak/cracked app scene started in the first place, apple and thier double standards! theyre 2-faced ness, god! i could rage and rant about this so much!
    Actually I would argue that the cracked apps started because people were too cheap to pay for apps. That has nothing to do with apple. It's a personal choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iMister View Post
    But this site is all about modding your iPhone/moto which in its self is illegal! but we are not allowed to post links to cracked apps? smells like double standards to me.
    Don't be an idiot. Jailbreaking is legal at this time. It would get shut down by Apple if it was illegal. If people keep saying that jailbreaking is illegal, I am going to pay moderators to ban idiots who keep saying that.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Why pay when you can get something for free????
    That's how most of us think, no one thinks of using cracked apps as stealing. You modify Apples fimware, so I see no reason not to modify apps.

There are quite a few sites that are related about cracked apps and so far only one of them has got shutdown, all others are still going. You just have to use the right servers and keep your identity hidden
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 10-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    That's how most of us think, no one thinks of using cracked apps as stealing. You modify Apples fimware, so I see no reason not to modify apps.
    What? Taking something for free that should otherwise be paid for is stealing... Downloading a firmware file directly Apple for free is different.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    What? Taking something for free that should otherwise be paid for is stealing...
    Yeh but in the world of the internet, no one cares if they're stealing stuff online, no one thinks that way when they download stuff from internet.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Yeh but in the world of the internet, no one cares if they're stealing stuff online, no one thinks that way when they download stuff from internet.
    Speak for your self. not everyone shares the warped sense of entitlement that you and others posses.

Customizing something that you rightfully own and possess if perfectly fine. Using something obtained with out proper compensation is theft.

For example, if i download a movie or album, and i truely love it, ill go out and buy it, even if i already had it (hacked/pirated)
    You think that makes it right? What about the stuff you only sort of like or don't like at all. It isn't as good so you shouldn't have to pay for it.

so the point is, there is a such thing as a moral thief.
    Whatever helps you sleep at night. Buying the product after you stole it does nothing to change the fact you are a thief. You still stole 4 programs with compensation only eventually being paid once.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I agree - an arrogant argument would be that software is just organized information, 1's and 0's, therefore its O.K. to steal it. It doesn't matter whether you can do it. Someone on the other end, whether a powerful company or a lone developer, is making a living out of their career, which happens to be software development.
    The difference is the applications cost money, and you're not paying it. Jailbreaking is not a workaround for getting Apple's firmwares without paying. The point is not about modifying it. We pay for apple's firmware if it costs money (iPod Touch 3.0), but it usually doesn't anyway. With pirated applications, you're taking, not just 'aquiring,' but taking it, without paying for it, e.g., what would obviously be known as stealing. Pirating/cracking is not 'getting it for free'. Its stealing.
    No matter what anyone says, piracy cannot be justified, and it usually ends up just making you look like an obnoxious jerk. Another lame excuse might be that they're not a criminal because everyone has passed the speed limit. I won't even go there…

If that's your view on the world, I guess you can live without money. Steal the groceries, steal money to buy a house, steal everything. It is possible to get away with it. What would you think of someone with that lifestyle?

It doesn't matter how you think. I could think that murder is fine, maybe I don't think about it as actually killing somebody if they're poisoned. Does that make it OK? Would it make it OK if a few more people agreed with me?

Anyone who pirates applications isn't welcome here.. If you want to be a thief go find somewhere where that is acceptable.
    Last edited by mk12; 10-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks
    i'm just curious, all the people here who are anti-cracked apps i have one question for you: do you download music for free? if you do, you're a hypocrite.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I don't, but it's not illegal in Canada anyway. But it wrong just as software piracy is wrong.

Thanks

I don't steal, I'm just saying, yeh I use cracked apps but I also buy the app if I like it and I do buy music, I buy CD's if I like the artist.

iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks
    My post wasn't directly targeted at anyone, but anyway, if you do actually pay after, its still illegal. Not really stealing, or morally wrong, but still illegal, as long as you never keep something unless you pay for it. But obviously the law can't make an exception for if you just test it out and then buy it otherwise get rid of it... then the whole thing would be legal.

As for trying out apps as a demo by using cracked versions, you do know that within 90 days of purchase you can get full refund from app store (the developer has to pay it all, even though apple made 30% of it), so do that if you realize an application is not worth it, don't pirate them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mk12 View Post
    As for trying out apps as a demo by using cracked versions, you do know that within 90 days of purchase you can get full refund from app store (the developer has to pay it all, even though apple made 30% of it).
    Wrong! What you pay for in the App Store is final.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    See this page on apple's refund policy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mk12 For This Useful Post:

awesomeSlayer (10-16-2009)

Thanks

Never mind then.

Wait, hold on. The article you posted is from March. Then Apple's Term of Sale in the Refund policy says:

All Sales and rentals (as applicable) are final.
    I am not sure, but you might be wrong. Correct if I am wrong, but iTunes Store Terms And Conditions is updated on Sept. 9th, 2009.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 10-16-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

Then end is near for cracked apps

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I wish, but I doubt it.