+ Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering on 3.1 - MyWi 3.1.8

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Downloaded and used the trial for my JB 3GS on 3.1.2 (7D11) firmware (Pwnagetool 3.1.4) works great on my PC notebook and mini mac. No problems. The only thing is
    iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

Downloaded and used the trial for my JB 3GS on 3.1.2 (7D11) firmware (Pwnagetool 3.1.4) works great on my PC notebook and mini mac. No problems. The only thing is that $9.99 is pretty steep. I may just wait for someone to come up with a solution and donate like I have been doing since 2007. I would hate for the JB community to become like the Apple app store. I like the idea of donating (usually more than $20) for something I really like or need. And I know NOTHING is for free really, but when the dev's out there start treating their work like Apple, it will turn me off to their efforts.
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brotherbond007 For This Useful Post:

Coral11 (10-16-2009), reanimationxp (10-17-2009)

Previously known as psuskeels
    Thanks

brotherbond007: Few people donate Keep it up.

All - it has been reported that 3G Unrestrictor may be causing a conflict. Can those folks who have been unsuccessful report if they have have 3G Unrestrictor installed?
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have 3G unrestrictor running. I have a Iphone 3GS running 3.0 firmware. I also used the carrier settings a while ago to add internet tethering. When I launch MyWi, it works for 30-40 seconds then crashes. A popup comes on saying MyWi is cleaning things up and then it disappears. Usually after that, my internet connection does not work on the phone and I have to manually shut down WIFI on the phone. I was wondering if this might have something to do with there being a local wifi that I join that it shows. ANy help would be great. I have uninstalled the app right now as it really is a pain. Hope you can fix it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is sweet, can't wait to download it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This would be great if it worked.... 3.1.2 32G 3GS... I had to unload PdaNet and iPhoneModem just to get the WiFi tether to work right... always asking to re-boot the phone or re-spring.... USB and Blue tooth NEVER worked!

I've spent 2 hours on this... Let me know when it really works

Nice user interface though... status line could be a little bigger

Yes 3G unrestricter is installed
    Last edited by TomC; 10-16-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    brotherbond007:

All - it has been reported that 3G Unrestrictor may be causing a conflict. Can those folks who have been unsuccessful report if they have have 3G Unrestrictor installed?
    unsuccessful

3gs running pwnage tool jb'en 3.1.2
    have unrestrictor 3g. when i turned it off in sbsettings, no difference was observed in the mywi behavior

i really liked having this on the road and have missed it. thanks for working to get things back on track!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    brotherbond007: Few people donate Keep it up.

I have 3g unrestrictor (3GS OS 3.1.2) and tethering over wifi sometimes work, sometimes it does not.
    Tethering over USB works, but breaks MMS.
    Below are my noticed bugs:

1) If you enable tethering via BT/USB only, MiWi will overwrite the APN entry for MMS in the carrier bundle and will change it from wap.cingular to "phone". Tethering will work but it will stop MMS from working. Once you disable tethering MiWi will NOT change the value back to wap.cingular and MMS won’t start working again. The user will either have to manually upload the ipcc again or if he has “cellular data network” enabled on his phone he can edit the APN back to what it was. If I enable tethering over USB via the iphone menu, the APN for MMS is not being changed and tethering still works.

2) Tethering over Wifi is a hit and miss. Mostly miss. It was working yesterday the first few attempts I tried using it, but today I am stuck between respring and reboot requests by MyWi. Even when it does work I can’t get internet connection.

3) The bug stated in 1 does not happen when you tether over Wifi. The MMS APN is being changed to “phone” but when you disable tethering over wifi,. MyWi will change the value back to what it was.

4) Sometimes after using MiWi. The phone’s internet stops working completely. I will need to restart the phone / MiWi a few times to gain the connectivity back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clubtech For This Useful Post:

Coral11 (10-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sound like beta release not $10 software.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I can confirm it broke my MMS as well. Easy fix is Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. It will cause the phone to reboot, but will fix MMS. This method is the easiest, but it will also erase other network settings such as saved wifi info. I guess I'm back to PDAnet until they fix this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to linedpaper For This Useful Post:

brotherbond007 (10-16-2009)

Thanks

to all the people concerned about extra usage charges while using a tethering app, i can assure you there will be none. [this is no gaurantee] but im not in the gaurantee buisness just the assurance buisness. this comes from my personal experience with over a year of PDAnet usage and since MYWi came out. the bill is the same for me each month. im on ATT and it even shows my KB [rather MB] usage on each bill. so their computers are aware of the usage, but along with my ATT plan is a mandatory unlimited data plan. iSURF, iDOWNLOAD, iWATCH_MOVIES, all on my iPHONES tethering capabilities. iDONT hold back and neither should you

hope this helps

[edit] MYWI still on the fringe. using iphone3G 3.1.2 downloaded MYWI 3.1.10, still no luck.

using PDAnet right now to chat

Today, 10:42 AM
    psuskeels
    Developer

yeah im running 3g unrestrictor but not on any of my tethering apps
    Last edited by rhekt; 10-16-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well I was able to tether with Bluetooth using MyWi 3.1.10 but not USB

WiFi tether was flaky.. hard to connect once you switch to one of the others then back

maybe 3.1.11....

EVERYTHING WORKING GREAT v3.2.4
    Last edited by TomC; 10-19-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: NEW Version Installed

Thanks
    Thanked 9,105 Times in 2,700 Posts

I am right now posting while tethering through MyWi WITH 3G Unrestrictor enabling MyWi. This very moment.

Thanks

had previous version trial worked pretty good for me, its nice the trial is reset a whole nother week! thats why rock app had trials to decide to buy them or not, so dont complain about it and since rock app latest update that syncs with cydia its much nicer and the entire layout is much cleaner too, but i do and always will use cydia!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Talking Tethering option back
    for people who desperately need tethering!!! Read this! i tried this and fortunately after u uninstall or trial expiration of this app.... the tethering option stays ON iphone (settings>general>network). So either way u still win!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    I am a Rock user, purchased Intelliscreen and I do swear by it. On the tethering side I use Addition's iPhone Modem, same price, and works like a charm for me. Just another option.
    I'll swear by Intelliscreen. It is the main reason I jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does this work with the iTunes version of the 3.1.2, or just the Pwnage version?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ok guys I'm back home yeeeh. Ok I just installed Rock My App and downloaded MyWi. I have to admit I do like Rocks interface better than Cyndia. Install was easy, did a reboot. It uninstalled PDANet. Went to the MyWi icon and turned on USB tethering as I don't care about sharing my inet connection. I haven't tried the bluetooth, although I was able to get BT tethering working before I updated my phone to the dreaded 3.1

Then went to the network setting screen and sure enough the native looking tethering screen was back. Turned it on and connected to the internet no problem. Happy camper so far.

Ok time to try the VPN. Turned the client on my phone like I had to do with PDANet and notice there was a new connection timer, ok that's cool. Tried connecting to my AS400 connection and it wouldn't connect, no joy

So I turned the VPN client off on my phone and tried the one on my desktop and bingo it worked.

Speeds were good. I should had did a test using both apps but didn't

It looks like MyWi has found a way to turn native tethering back on and like one poster said someone will probably try to put a free hack out, but for $10 I'll just buy it after the trial is over and I've done a few more test to make sure there are no other problems. The one thing I do like about MyWi and it's native looking tethering is it allows me to use the VPN client on my laptop vs the iphone and the reason I say that is I had a user lastweek with VPN problems and I couldn't test his connection at work, with MyWi I could have because I would be able to use his client, PDANet I would have been using the client on my phone so I couldn't tell if something was actually wrong on the laptop.

One concern or thought I have is, since MyWi appears to be a native thing will AT&T when they turn tethering on recognize it, someone said PDAnet makes it seem like it's your just data from your phone. I used BenM before I updated and didn't get dinged nor does it look like I'm going to be dinged for my PDANet usage. Just some thoughts

After all that rambling. I have to say I've used both PDANet and MyWi and both worked well for me(no wifi sharing tethering only USB) and for my needs I'll have to go with MyWi simply because it's cheaper, allows me to use my desktop VPN client. I will test MyWi more this weekend and see how it fairs but after it expires for $10 I'd be willing to pay that for my stupidness from updating and killing my tether

**edit to add**
    I'm using MyWi at this moment on my 2nd laptop(ThinkPad, the other is a Netbook) to be sure it worked with both.
    I wanted to throw one more thing into my mini review. MyWi doesn't require a client to be installed on your on your machine. Like i said I'm not sure if that has anything to do with fooling AT&T or even if it does but I'm pretty sure AT&T can look at the data and figure it out but as long as you don't abuse it downloading over 10gigs of data i think you'll be ok. The one thing I do like about the PDANet client is I can have it so that I have to tell it to connect for tethering, with MyWi and I haven't tested it, it seems like it would automaticlly tether whenever you plug your phone in, so I always turn tethering off when done
    Last edited by Daps; 10-16-2009 at 08:28 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Working great on my 3GS. However, it appears the developer found a way to release the stock tethering functionality built into the software, added a lot of window dressing like upload/download speeds, wifi, and charged an exorbitant amount because people who want phones running the most recent updates may be willing to pay it. I am looking forward to some savvy developer releasing the tethering unlock being exploited in MyWi.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It works great on OS 3.1.2 3G both on MY Mac and Pc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wouldn't say that $10 is an "exorbitant amount".

+ Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast