+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering on 3.1 - MyWi 3.1.8

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I used 3G Unrestrictor with MyWi, and the connection got a lot faster. You should try it!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used 3G Unrestrictor with MyWi, and the connection got a lot faster.
    You should try it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

wow! looks good, biig help for me and my iphone 2g .... getting it now!

Thanks

ugh requires rock to be installed too? cant i have just the app without some **** ill never use installed as well?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    latest update still doesnt work for me. it keeps having to reboot and never even establishes a network. glad to be a guinea pig though. no, really, its no problem. i have nothing better to do.

funky thing though. when i install it, 3g shits the bed and i get no internet access. so, i reinstall carrier settings from while back to get it to work again. then, when i open settings/general/network/internet tethering, and click "ON", tethering starts up without having to use mywi at all. sounds like mywi just uses a back door to the same functionality that att is saying apple cant use right now. pretty smart. if it would ever work, that is.
    Last edited by rryyddeerr; 10-16-2009 at 06:48 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post
    latest update still doesnt work for me. it keeps having to reboot and never even establishes a network. glad to be a guinea pig though. no, really, its no problem. i have nothing better to do.
    same here

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

If you read the latest notes on MyWi, you see they recommend you update to 3.1 or 3.1.2, which neither of you guys are on. Just saying...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    If you read the latest notes on MyWi, you see they recommend you update to 3.1 or 3.1.2, which neither of you guys are on. Just saying...
    on 3.1.2
    its a no go.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thu6 View Post
    ugh requires rock to be installed too? cant i have just the app without some **** ill never use installed as well?
    Quitcherbitchin. RockApp takes a whole minute, if that, to install. And it's not complicated. It's just like downloading another app you've downloaded from Cydia.

MyWi is completely worth the RockApp download. And turns out, RockApp is a lot faster and nicer looking than Cydia. If you're up for change, you may well switch to installing apps with RockApp over Cydia. You can download most, if not all, apps you find in Cydia through RockApp.

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    Ok for folks who have a connection - but not being able to surf:
    1) We've release 3.1.10 to further help the dns issue.
    2) Please upgrade to 3.1/3.1.2 - it's more stable then 3.0 for tethering via WiFi.

Thanks all again for your feedback. Based on sales - it's working well for many!
    So far, 3.1.10 did the trick. It's working great now! Thanks.

Posted on a PC through iPhone 3GS (3.1.2) with MyWi 3.1.10 on AT&T in Covington, LA.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post

funky thing though. when i install it, 3g shits the bed and i get no internet access. so, i reinstall carrier settings from while back to get it to work again. then, when i open settings/general/network/internet tethering, and click "ON", tethering starts up without having to use mywi at all. sounds like mywi just uses a back door to the same functionality that att is saying apple cant use right now. pretty smart. if it would ever work, that is.
    I noticed the same thing. I'm on a 3gs with OS3.1 on t-mobile and after installing mywi and watching it crash a few times I went into network settings and the system tether option was back that I had in version 3.0.1 and that works perfectly. So what am I missing here by using that, tethering over wifi? If so then no big deal.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike70 View Post
    I noticed the same thing. I'm on a 3gs with OS3.1 on t-mobile and after installing mywi and watching it crash a few times I went into network settings and the system tether option was back that I had in version 3.0.1 and that works perfectly. So what am I missing here by using that, tethering over wifi? If so then no big deal.
    my worry with this is that the phone will begin to keep track of and report the difference between iphone internet use and tethered use. if this means a huge phone bill, then its not worth it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's true. I'm not sure how AT&T tracks this but I've been tethering on t-mobile for years now and even though it's only edge, it does the job when I need it and I've already missed it after going to 3.1. Never had to pay more than $2.99 a month for data and that includes roaming throughout the US and Europe. It's one of those deals that have to end at some point but I'll enjoy it while I can!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

A comment in general, I don't think tethering was meant to replace your regular internet access where access is available. The option of using your cell phone as a modem is for temporary use and definitely not for high data volume use like d/ling movies or online gaming, though it can be used this way if you choose. So yeah, if you're abusing the option then there will be charges, I am sure.
    On the other hand I also see that if I am paying for unlimited data plan, I should be able to use this plan as I see fit, tethering included. My thinking is that the tethering monitoring is due to the network infrastructure, as it is, would not be able to handle the traffic is everyone decided to tether and discard their internet access from isp's. My two pennies...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    On 3.1.2 and not working for me either. Back to PDAnet until the issues are resolved. I actually just purchased PDAnet earlier this week because I thought Mywi was never coming back, but apparently I was wrong...but it still doesn't work...back to PDAnet...it works!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm on 3.1.2 as well and it's currently not working for me, I will play some more with it this weekend, but if this continues, I will just downgrade to 3.0 and use carrier settings until someone comes out with a better solution as PDANet is also no where near stable enough to use.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    PDAnet has been working just fine for me on 3.1.2, but it's a bit of a pain to get everything up and running. I was just able to get Mywi working on my 3g. I had to re-save all the settings, so I changed some settings, changed them back and it worked. Thinking that maybe it was something with the old settings I had in there, maybe try that, let me know if it works for anyone else too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does AT&T charge extra for tethering yet?? if i install this will it use my data plan or will i be charged

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkepticalGuy View Post
    Are you kiding me? Cydia loads really slow and Rock App Loads faster then Cydia and Icy.

cydia has a whack more releases and stuff to download and import into itself.
    once "if" rock app gets as popular and JAM PACKED as cydia is now... we'll see just how "fast" rock app loads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a really great app. Works really well and smooth. Was on a road trip and plugged my iphone into a dock then turned this app on. 3 ipod touches connected to it and my buddies were messing around on Facebook within seconds.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowhatu View Post
    cydia has a whack more releases and stuff to download and import into itself.
    once "if" rock app gets as popular and JAM PACKED as cydia is now... we'll see just how "fast" rock app loads.
    rock app does load apps from apt now as well and still loads faster than cydia. it has most of the same apps, but you can't get the ones that you have to pay for in cydia.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The rock app now supports just as much as cydia and loads infinitely faster, installs faster, and has better options. the only thing that bothers me is the unsmoothness of the scrolling in the app.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast