+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering on 3.1 - MyWi 3.1.8

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is awesome! After prematurely "upgrading" to 3.1.whatever, I had all but given up on tethering my 3GS. I downloaded the current Blackra1n program, ran it, then installed that "Rock"
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is awesome! After prematurely "upgrading" to 3.1.whatever, I had all but given up on tethering my 3GS.

I downloaded the current Blackra1n program, ran it, then installed that "Rock" application, then installed MyWi.

At first, it seemed to work, then nothing. Then I seemed to be caught in a re-spring/re-boot loop. I read that someone else with the 3.1.2 firmware wasn't able to get tethering working again.

I was about to uninstall the trial of MyWi, when I noticed that the iPhone's native tethering option was back in my settings/general/network screen! Hmmm. I flipped the switch to ON, and my laptop instantly saw the connection!!

So I couldn't get the MyWi app to work, but got native tethering to work. So, who needs MyWi, right? I uninstalled it, but now my native tethering option was GONE! WTF!?!?

I reinstalled MyWi, rebooted the phone, relaunched the MyWi app and it still wouldn't work, BUT the native tethering option had once again returned to my settings/general/network screen!! I'm currently typing this message on my laptop, through my iPhone's tethered 3G connection.

So now I have it all!! Muhaha!! Unless a new firmware version promises to pick winning lotto numbers, I'm NEVER "upgrading" again!!

When my MyWi free trial ends, I'll gladly pay them. Excuse me, but I'm gonna go pay a donation to that Blackra1n guy now... He's a friggen genius!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekull25 For This Useful Post:

Channan (10-15-2009), reanimationxp (10-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I purchased this app awhile back and glad to see it updated. I am on 3.1.2 and blackrained and mine will try to create and then retry and then just tells me to respring. I don't know how to get my syslog for you to check out

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can confirm this works on 3GS JB 3.1.2. Although it seems slower and not as zippy as before.

In an unscientific test, MyWi on my 3.0 3G is getting downloads speeds of 120KB/s and my 3GS 3.1.2 was getting around 85KB/s. Both phones were tested with same room, same computer and same source.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxon1023 View Post
    I purchased this app awhile back and glad to see it updated. I am on 3.1.2 and blackrained and mine will try to create and then retry and then just tells me to respring. I don't know how to get my syslog for you to check out
    Mine didn't work til I powered down my phone and restarted.
    Last edited by BlackG35; 10-15-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Previously known as psuskeels
    Thanks

Ok - so in an effort to prevent the reboot - we have put out 3.1.9. Hopefully it'll fix the 1st time connection issues (some of which were related to DNS - the laptop/device tethering was connected - but didn't have an DNS server address). Post your results and thanks for those posting with success (usually only the unsuccessful find the time
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    still not working for me, its trying and retrying

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

I am a Rock user, purchased Intelliscreen and I do swear by it. On the tethering side I use Addition's iPhone Modem, same price, and works like a charm for me. Just another option.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's a really great app. I've used it to share my data with my girlfriend. I have unlimited but she only has 500megs.

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

iPhone 3G running JB 3.1.2 MyWi works fine after removing PdaNet and rebooting.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm ... Is it just me, but I have tethering thanks to Stealth Bravo's 6.0 Carrier Settings.

So why don't people just update with that? I'm I missing something?

I could understand if your using an Unlock. Maybe I just didn't read far enough.

**Well I guess if you want to use for multiple computers**

Thanks

Tethering is disabled on 3.1 and above, even w SB's carrier file. If you see the tethering tab, once you enable tethering the tab will dissapear, confirmed by SB as well. Only options for the time being are MyWi, PDANet and iPhone Modem for 3.1 and above.

iPhone? More like MyPhone grmiller's Avatar
    Thanks

I am working on this also with SB and the carrier files do not work. I just paid the $9.99 and thank used Rock my phone on the windows pc and than installed it and than rebooted my iphone 3GS 3.1.2 unlocked and than the rock my phone showed up. Than I just went into the app and installed MyWi 3.1.9 new update a hour ago and thats all rebooted again and now you dont even have to go into the MyWi app. Just goto Settings/General/ Network and there the Tethering Option is again. Click on it and usb or bluetooth works 100%. Dude this rocks. So Rock You Phone!!! Its worth it and also updates are free.
    IPHONE 3G "DEV" (LETS HACK THIS IPHONE!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

One thing I enjoyed about PDANet was the fact that you could tether a WiFi connection that your phone was using.

Can MyWi do the same?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cactusweasel View Post
    Well, they wont be getting my $10 unless they make it available through cydia...
    I'm sure your decision will be devastating to them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ekull25 View Post
    This is awesome! After prematurely "upgrading" to 3.1.whatever, I had all but given up on tethering my 3GS.

I downloaded the current Blackra1n program, ran it, then installed that "Rock" application, then installed MyWi.

At first, it seemed to work, then nothing. Then I seemed to be caught in a re-spring/re-boot loop. I read that someone else with the 3.1.2 firmware wasn't able to get tethering working again.

I was about to uninstall the trial of MyWi, when I noticed that the iPhone's native tethering option was back in my settings/general/network screen! Hmmm. I flipped the switch to ON, and my laptop instantly saw the connection!!

So I couldn't get the MyWi app to work, but got native tethering to work. So, who needs MyWi, right? I uninstalled it, but now my native tethering option was GONE! WTF!?!?

I reinstalled MyWi, rebooted the phone, relaunched the MyWi app and it still wouldn't work, BUT the native tethering option had once again returned to my settings/general/network screen!! I'm currently typing this message on my laptop, through my iPhone's tethered 3G connection.

So now I have it all!! Muhaha!! Unless a new firmware version promises to pick winning lotto numbers, I'm NEVER "upgrading" again!!

When my MyWi free trial ends, I'll gladly pay them. Excuse me, but I'm gonna go pay a donation to that Blackra1n guy now... He's a friggen genius!!
    YES! I probably wouldn't have even checked that unless I read it somewhere. Haven't got MyWi to work yet, but Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering works great! I already bought MyWi on 3.0, though, so I don't have to pay again.

Quote Originally Posted by WaLLy3K View Post
    One thing I enjoyed about PDANet was the fact that you could tether a WiFi connection that your phone was using.

Can MyWi do the same?
    Yes, and you can broadcast your signal over WiFi for multiple devices to connect to. It's a lot better than PdaNet when it works.

I hope an update is released soon to fix the problems it's having. Tethering doesn't really work on mine.
    Last edited by Channan; 10-15-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

WaLLy3K (10-15-2009)

Thanks

Not bad for free tethering

Thanks

Is there a point to getting this on 3.1.2 instead of PDAnet? Will it work better PDAnet is pretty good imo but I never tried this
    iPhone 3gs 3.1 firmware

Lockerz member PM for inv

Thanks

so if you guys have ever had PDAnet and installed MYWI or vice versa, yall know one will delete the other due to internal conflicts...so when i saw MYWI updated to support 3.1.+ i obviously downloaded as ive been waiting for this to update.

(ps: ive been using PDAnet while waiting, as it never had conflicts w/ 3.1)

[ANYWAYS] as expected MYWI deleted PDAnet on installation...however NOT expected was MYWI not working on 3.1.2...it continually wanted me to reboot restart respring phone while initiating signal...of course NONE of this worked. so i went back into cydia reinstalled the ever trustworthy PDAnet and when i went back to springboard MYWI was still installed (weird) i thought. must be a fluke. but then i remembered on install screen in cydia it did not indicate removal of MYWI due to conflicts....SOOOOO either in this new update of MYWI it no longer has conflicts with PDAnet and still defaults to remove PDAnet so you use their app instead..or i just flopped onto a queer occurance...EITHER way MYWI [still] does not work on 3.1.2

[EDIT] recreated situation...(confirmed)...PDAnet able to install and tether without uninstalling MYWI>>MYWI still uninstalls PDAnet.....as far as the reboot respring phsycosis on MYWI w/ 3.1.2, its still occuring.(ps:checked the general>network>tethering) MYWI had allready toggled the setting to (ON) BUT HEY! still doesnt work...now ive got both apps on my springboard at the same time. cant get cooler than that.
    Last edited by rhekt; 10-15-2009 at 08:51 PM.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhunter130 View Post
    Is there a point to getting this on 3.1.2 instead of PDAnet? Will it work better PDAnet is pretty good imo but I never tried this
    Supposedly it's working fine for some people, but it's not working at all for me. Not even Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering.

Please release an update soon!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    Supposedly it's working fine for some people, but it's not working at all for me. Not even Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering.

Please release an update soon!
    Ill stick with PDAnet then it works fine
    iPhone 3gs 3.1 firmware

Lockerz member PM for inv

Thanks

Installed the trial, been tethering successfully for the last hour with MyWi. I'm keeping this one, though I have a paid iPhone Modem too. (MUCH better than PDANet on the battery!)