+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SmartStart - Start Your Car from your iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via Engadget As if just having the iPhone isn't enough to make one look cool, Directed Electronics has introduced a new iPhone app that will make you look cool
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default SmartStart - Start Your Car from your iPhone

Image via Engadget

As if just having the iPhone isn't enough to make one look cool, Directed Electronics has introduced a new iPhone app that will make you look cool just getting into your car.

The app, dubbed Viper SmartStart, enables users to control parts of their Viper SmartStart-enabled vehicle directly from the new iPhone or iPod Touch app.

Our friends at Engadget put it this way:
    If you already own a compatible Viper security system, the SmartStart module will let lock and unlock your car, arm and disarm your car alarm, pop the trunk, or fire off that panic alarm -- all from your cherished handset.
    As you can imagine, though, looking cool comes at price. Although the app is gratis, you will also need Viper's SmartStart system in your car.

A new install will run about $499. But you will only have to cough up $299 if your ride already has a Viper alarm system. Of course, you will also need an active subscription to Viper's Smart Start service. If you don't already have the service, your first year will be free. After that, you're looking at $29.99 a year. But at least the app will work wherever you get a 3G signal.

Jealous of the way those hipper-than-thou ZipCar people are always unlocking the doors to their rented Minis with an iPhone? We aren't either. But if you are looking to recreate that scenario with your Dodge Dart, have we got a gadget for you!
    As if starting your car from your iPhone isn't snazzy enough, imagine a cold winter morning turning into an instantly toasty ride by defrosting your car before you even leave the front door. Here in Chicago a guy like me could use an app like that.

How about you?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Thanks

that is way to expensive just to show off IMO

besides the are already cars with keycards you have in ur pocket and auto-unlocks your car by coming closer and also a remote for the heating system (the new Renault Espcae has it both)

First btw
    Last edited by extremzocker; 10-13-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    that is way to expensive just to show off IMO

besides the are already cars with keycards you have in ur pocket and auto-unlocks your car by coming closer and also a remote for the heating system (the new Renault Espcae has it both)

First btw
    what good is that if you live in a city or an apt building where you car is parked 30 floors down and 2 blocks over?
    However with that 'first' remark your probably barely old enough to drive, if that.

neway a simple push on your phone will apparently start your car from anywhere you are. (that is if im understanding this correctly)

therefore you can actually have your car warmed up from blocks away.

Lets say your about to get off of work and its extremely hot outside, same thing.... u can start the car and the a/c will cool it down before you even walk out the building.

This imo is the death of a conventional keyfob remote car alarm.
    and its great!
    There is no range limit which makes this worth the money.
    In the aspect of buying a car alarm its not really that bad although 299 would be ideally better.
    Last edited by Carrbone; 10-13-2009 at 01:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Chicago? Your profile says you're from Indiana?

Green Apple
    Thanks

while this sounds cool it wil actually end up costing more than buying a remote start and getting that installed.

Thanks

Wow, 30$ a year!? Just to start your car. This is a cool idea and yes the range is where you get your advantage. So, for most newer vehicles, your paying for SAT radio and now an additional 30$ a year to start your car. Once internet hits vehicles half your car payment will be going to accessories! lol

Looks good though!

Thanks

An expensive alarm system is one thing, but $29 a year to maintain this feature? I wouldn't pay one penny a year. Bad idea. Sick of things that shouldn't have contracts having them now.

Thanks

Nice... since I already have a Viper System!!
    My existing remote already has a 1mile + range, so not sure it's worth any money to me.
    Last edited by Simtech; 10-13-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Way to pricey for my taste. But this is still an awesome start to something that could eventually evolve into something better.

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

I'm in Northwest Indiana... about 45 minutes from the City, but I work there many days each month, so I'm kind of a hybrid Hoosier/Chicagoan

adp
    Thanks

Although this is a great new concept, I think it also brings a whole new world of risks. After you install this, you may have to start worrying about people hacking the network and unlocking or starting your car remotely. Imagine sleeping at 2am, some guy eating doughnuts behind a computer hacks into the Viper system and makes all the cars in a server go into panic mode...

I'm sure they have encryption and such, but anyone is vulnerable. Even the U.S Government has been hacked into this year.

IMO, this is too pricey. It would be pretty useful for someone living in cold weather though, starting your car remotely can prevent engine damage in freezing temperatures.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Am I the only one who sees a problem with your car alarm/auto start being controlled by a device connected to the internet?

Thanks

I'll just continue paying my little brother a buck to start my car in the winter .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    An expensive alarm system is one thing, but $29 a year to maintain this feature? I wouldn't pay one penny a year. Bad idea. Sick of things that shouldn't have contracts having them now.
    What you are paying for is the cellular connection that your car has to have to intercept the signals to the internet. At $2.50 per month, that's really not completely unreasonable.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

It is way to expensive, besides i already have a Viper Remote Start Alarm. I like to see the flashing lights when it gets started from my room. No point having over internet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    What you are paying for is the cellular connection that your car has to have to intercept the signals to the internet. At $2.50 per month, that's really not completely unreasonable.

Thanks

Is 3G needed. Us poor people in the country who don't receive 3g get shafted. Thats why I still own an iPhone 2g. No point paying $10 a month extra for service I have to drive over an hour to get utilize. I won't hijack this thread just to complain about ATT coverage!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sounds cool but i don't know about the yearly charge. but on a side note (Say you lend your car to your friend)you can remotely turn the car off and set the panic mode for fun. or if you are getting towed you can do the same.

Banned
    Thanks

I got a little box on my keyring that does the exact same thing and I don't have to load up an app or pay for it. It's called a remote for my alarm with remote start. I can even set it to close the windows when the car automatically locks itself.
    So paying for a service you get for free with your alarm is really stupid.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    awesome idea! but it seems pretty expensive..