+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google, Apple Growing Apart Even From Within

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via Gabe's Guide Google and Apple are hacking away at any ties that bind. This morning the Inquirer (along with scores of other media outlets) is reporting that Arthur
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Google, Apple Growing Apart Even From Within

Image via Gabe's Guide

Google and Apple are hacking away at any ties that bind.

This morning the Inquirer (along with scores of other media outlets) is reporting that Arthur D. Levinson, the former head honcho at Genentech, is leaving Google’s board.

Genentech chairman Arthur Levinson joined the boards of Apple in 2000 and Google in 2004 and his double responsibilities are thought to be the reason why the Federal Trade Commission has continued to investigate links between the two companies.
    Leading up to Levinson's resignation, the FCC implied that it was fully prepared to strongarm both companies into severing their board ties, even through legal means if necessary.

In August, the FTC commended the decision by Google chief executive Eric Schmidt to step down from the Apple board, after expressing concerns that shared directors between the two firms raise competitive issues, as Google and Apple increasingly compete with each other.
    Although the FCC is thrilled with Levinson's decision as the regulatory body remains borderline obsessed with the potential evils of "overlapping board members," does the FCC not recognize that it would be somewhat difficult for antitrust issues to develop when both Apple and Google have anything but a buddy-buddy relationship conducive to teamwork.

The public soap opera, for example, rages on as Google continues accusing Apple of rejecting the Google Voice app for the iPhone. Although Apple maintains that the app is still "under review," the controversial tug of war between Apple and Google similarly drew attention from the Federal Communications Commission.

Am I the only one who is having a difficult time seeing what the FCC would define as a happy middle ground here? Does the FCC want Apple to work with Google or not? The mixed signals are enough to make your head spin.

Regulators and board positions aside, there is bad blood between Google and Apple. That much is clear. Where the suspicions of collusion and fears of antitrust originate is confusing to some - myself included.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 10-13-2009 at 05:36 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course they are growing apart. Google is going after Apple with Android. Apple wants to get rid of Google Maps and bring it in-house. The head butting will only get worse IMO. Hopefully, the competition is a good thing.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

So no YouTube or Maps app?

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it will get worse as well. And i'm also not surprised that they are growing apart. Why would competitors work with each other anyway? A lot of people have been crying because they're not going to get all those google apps anymore and that it's going to hurt Apple and i doubt that. Apple wants to maintain individuality and whatever they bring to the iPhone wont be anything short of greatness. Those that doudbt it should probably move on to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    So no YouTube or Maps app?
    I'm sure the maps will be gone but not sure of the youtube app.
    Last edited by hollow0; 10-13-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    I think it will get worse as well. And i'm also not surprised that they are growing apart. Why would competitors work with each other anyway? A lot of people have been crying because they're not going to get all those google apps anymore and that it's going to hurt Apple and i doubt that. Apple wants to maintain individuality and whatever they bring to the iPhone wont be anything short of greatness. Those that doudbt it should probably move on to Android.

I'm sure the maps will be gone but not sure of the youtube app.
    Like the gap in Aizen's and the Espada's power?

On a serious note... I agree that building something to compete with Google Maps from scratch now is extremely unlikely.
    Last edited by dale1v; 10-13-2009 at 07:26 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

this is gonna get good...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

google maps is way better than the apple alternative, im pretty sure.

Live Traffic.... Google Street View.... Most Up To Date Maps... Satellite View... Google Got their own Satellite.... So *** if they remove Google maps

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Like the gap in Aizen's and the Espada's power?

On a serious note... I agree that building something to compete with Google Maps from scratch now is extremely unlikely.
    LMAO!Yes exacta!

Quote Originally Posted by qgshadow View Post
    google maps is way better than the apple alternative, im pretty sure.

Live Traffic.... Google Street View.... Most Up To Date Maps... Satellite View... Google Got their own Satellite.... So *** if they remove Google maps
    The company that apple bought i think offers the same attributes.. so you can't be sure until it comes out or if it does at all...
    Last edited by hollow0; 10-13-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Seems like Apple is taking on all comers . First they dont want Flash , now Google . Who's next ? People are going to start taking a closer look at the competition as Apple continues to shoot themselves in the foot .IMO .

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

competition is what makes america
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks

This is bad for the customers.

Thanks

confusing some...
    i dont really get it eiter

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i love apple but google is a HUGE powerhouse and had money to throw around plus all the software they already have.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still so far apple's UI team is pretty rockin' If Google techs could peel themselves away from the keyboard and rethink how we interface perhaps they'd get an edge. (c) (tm) (r)
    Yeep! It's rwong! Run while you can.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple needs to drop the real enemy....At&t...

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Google maps is far better for me than any of the true Navi apps, less ram usage (3G) and overall space (8GB). That and it doesn't take any time to start, and it's pretty quick with everything. I would die without Google Maps.

Lovely

Not