+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Marathon Winner Disqualified for Listening to iPod

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
image via Milwaukee Journal Sentinel The winner of a marathon in Milwaukee, Wisc. was stripped of her title after photos showed she had an iPod on her during the race.
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Marathon Winner Disqualified for Listening to iPod

image via Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

The winner of a marathon in Milwaukee, Wisc. was stripped of her title after photos showed she had an iPod on her during the race. Competitors going for US Track and Field championships and/or cash prizes are prohibited from using any electronic devices while running.

The rule has caused a great deal of controversy among runners. It was relaxed by US Track and Field officials in the last year, leaving it up to the race directors in specific competitions to decide if electronic devices are to be allowed. As a result, a two-tiered standard has emerged average runners are generally permitted to use a music player, but elite runners are not.

Jennifer Goebel, 27, got a time of 3:02:50 and came in second after the winning runner was disqualified for accepting a water bottle from a friend. She disagrees with the outcome, and says she's being unfairly singled out for a harmless act. "If they're going to disqualify me for having an iPod they should disqualify everyone who had one," she said. "It's just a little ridiculous. I went there to have a fun race with my friends."

After the original winner, Cassie Peller, was disqualified, her supporters discovered Goebel's iPod in an online photo album, and complained that Peller had been unfairly singled out by race officials, and that Goebel also deserved to be disqualified.

Goebel, for her part, said she is willing to give up the $500 prize for listening to her iPod, but feels her win should stand. "I wasn't listening to [the iPod] earlier in the race," she said. "I wasn't going to put the music on unless I thought I needed it. If you're bored, it pumps you up a little bit. Sometimes, on a long training run, I'll bring it along for the last half hour. When I run marathons sometimes I carry it and never put it on."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (10-15-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

R u kidding me? Even high school track meet doesn't allow iPod. She should know better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Thats just ridiculous. Who cares if she listens to her iPod?? That like Ricky Williams being suspended for using marijuana...not like any of these are "performance enhancing"
    Last edited by Melech518; 10-12-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (10-13-2009), iRoach74 (10-12-2009), steve-z17 (10-13-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

That's too bad.
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

Thanks

i'd hit it

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rescuer For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (10-12-2009), MaxRabbit (10-15-2009), Rota (10-12-2009), Taz1981 (10-12-2009)

Thanks

yeah i would hit it as well

Thanks

hit = shake to shuffle?
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (10-13-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

You would be surprised at how strict they are with what is and isn't allowed in races. I'm only in middle school cross country, and you can't have any watches, bracelets, jewelry, nothing. Even girls can only have one hair tie in their hair. It gets pretty ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

As a Marathoner myself ... I can not live without my Ipod. However for those of you who don't know. The reason why electronic devices are not allowed is for the safety of the runners. You can not hear other runners if you have earphones in.

I myself cut one side off so I can hear ... but when your running a close race at the end you don't want to trip someone or for them to trip you.

I HATE this rule .. they should be able to do whatever they want !! The people who make this rule have never ran 13.1 (Half Marathon) or 26.2 (Full Marathon) Miles in their life.

**Side Note** I also can not live without my Nike+ http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeplus/

Thanks

And I think that if you do 56 mph, in 55 mph zone you should get a $500 ticket........

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice tatt.
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Uhh, I just went through several of the photos trying to find the picture with her and an iPod (don't see it on the one above). While skipping through random photos, I saw two other people with headphones in.

Dude, seriously, WTF?

Green Apple
    Thanks

here we go again with some crappy news!!! and yes i would smash those girls cheeks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

keep it clean guys....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (10-13-2009)

Thanks

Thats just messed up like come on what does it effect when your running, its not like cheating or anything its just relaxes you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

well, it was in the FAQ for the race:

from the FAQCan I use my Mp3 player or ipod? If you plan to compete for USATF or prize money awards you cannot wear or be assisted by any type of portable listening device. USATF Rules of Competition do not allow this. This includes talking on a cell phone during the race. Other runners may use mp3 players but are cautioned to be aware of their surroundings and other runners. ANY runner who fails to comply with the instructions of ANY race official is subject to disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    keep it clean guys....
    Okay, I'd like to hold her hand.....
    Last edited by OneRing2Rule; 10-12-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to OneRing2Rule For This Useful Post:

Taz1981 (10-12-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

The strange thing is that it's actually a burden to the runner. I've never ran more than a mile at one time, but if you have a few ounces of electronics on you and you have to propel your mass over 26 miles, those few ounces can really add up in terms of energy output. This is exactly why running shoes and attire are super lightweight (aside from the thermal factors).

My point is, she was disqualified from the race for making the race HARDER for herself, not easier.

Thanks

w/e she deserved it.

Thanks

I don't agree with it, but she damn well knew the rules before she started the race. So breaking the rules is breaking the rules. If you don't agree/accept the rules of a competition, don't take part in it.
    Apples taste good.

Thanks

Wow...
    No electronics in racing - FAIL
    She brings her iPod - FAIL (for breaking the rules)

I have no stand, but it is a little ridiculous to not listen to your iPod, but she at least, should respect the rule then.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!