+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Marathon Winner Disqualified for Listening to iPod

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by onering2rule Originally Posted by broomhead keep it clean guys.... okay, i'd like to hold her hand..... lmfao!!!
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onering2rule
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhead
    keep it clean guys....
    okay, i'd like to hold her hand.....
    lmfao!!!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

She did break the rules, but the rules need to be evenly applied and disqualify any others using ipods as well.

BTW, this is the stupidest rule that I have ever heard of.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

3:02 in crazy fast!! how fast was the original winner's time?! It's amazing that the two lead people are both disqualified for miniscule things. They both broke the rules and sound like they might not take it incredibly seriously. They may be fast, good runners- but they should accept consequences if they choose not to obey guidelines directed by the competition. (And yes, I realize what I just said on a JB community forum... but I accept my own consequences as well) ;-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Do your times count?
    I've worked a couple marathons in the SF Bay Area and they allow recreational runners to have ipods/headphones on, but if you are competing for time then you must not wear any electronics. Do your times count for competition?

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    As a Marathoner myself ... I can not live without my Ipod. However for those of you who don't know. The reason why electronic devices are not allowed is for the safety of the runners. You can not hear other runners if you have earphones in.

I myself cut one side off so I can hear ... but when your running a close race at the end you don't want to trip someone or for them to trip you.

I HATE this rule .. they should be able to do whatever they want !! The people who make this rule have never ran 13.1 (Half Marathon) or 26.2 (Full Marathon) Miles in their life.

**Side Note** I also can not live without my Nike+ http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeplus/

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't get why they are not allowed to listen to their ipods. That is by far the dumbest rule that i have ever heard. It's not going to make a difference whether or not she is listening to music.

Thanks

Why are we b!tching about "she should have followed the rules?" This website is DEDICATED to breaking the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    The strange thing is that it's actually a burden to the runner. I've never ran more than a mile at one time, but if you have a few ounces of electronics on you and you have to propel your mass over 26 miles, those few ounces can really add up in terms of energy output.
    I guess that's what these are for:
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 10-12-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

As a Marathoner myself ... I can not live without my Ipod. However for those of you who don't know. The reason why electronic devices are not allowed is for the safety of the runners. You can not hear other runners if you have earphones in.
    I can't believe i am the only one to ask this, but...does this imply that deaf people are not allowed to run then?

Thanks

Kind of unfair. They should have told her off during the race rather than after she won. It's their fault for not noticing before the end of the race.

I can see why it's against the rules but I kinda understand why someone would listen to music while running; it'd keep your mind off of how much further you need to run.

Also, just a 'did you know?', sweat/liquid + ipod earphones = electrical shocks to the ears.
    -Mattymoo
    just like you imagined.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I myself cut one side off so I can hear ... but when your running a close race at the end you don't want to trip someone or for them to trip you.

I HATE this rule .. they should be able to do whatever they want !! The people who make this rule have never ran 13.1 (Half Marathon) or 26.2 (Full Marathon) Miles in their life.

I am a marathoner too and around mile 18, I need a playlist to carry me the last 8 miles. I hate the rule but understand why its there. I am running the Rock and Roll San Antonio next month with live music every 1/2 mile

Nike+ and garmin gps watch ftw!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

When they come out with the iPod suppository she can run all she wants
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

mnoraznan (10-13-2009), thetoothfairy (10-13-2009)

Thanks

I still think marathon/cross country runners are crazy
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (10-15-2009), mnoraznan (10-13-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

they are going to say something far fetched as an excuse, like, "study proves that use of any music device during running helps the person run and makes them last longer"

Thanks

at my school its not allowed either and you will be disqualified if caught...
    its just stupid

Thanks

Aintthatboutabitch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thecork View Post
    I can't believe i am the only one to ask this, but...does this imply that deaf people are not allowed to run then?
    Actually, deaf people frequent marathons. They are just as capable as the next person. Yes, they have to be more aware of what's going on around them but they can participate nonetheless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jschmall View Post
    Actually, deaf people frequent marathons. They are just as capable as the next person. Yes, they have to be more aware of what's going on around them but they can participate nonetheless.
    Of course, but I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was trying to say "If the rule is in place to make people more aware of the runners around them because they'd be able to hear, then how does that affect people who can't hear at all?" In other words, the "can hear better without an iPod" argument is a moot point because there are people participating who naturally can't hear by default.

Thanks

Im sorry, its just ridiculous.

Im a runner myself and I use my iPhone for all my runs. Saying its a danger to other runners is like saying a radio is a danger to other cars on the road.

Its quite simple really, when you run you stick to your line and you will be fine. If you intend on changing that line, look back so that you dont possibly run into any runners that plan on overtaking you.
    Not only that, but when I listen to my music, I dont have it so loud that I cant hear anything else. If you have your volume at a decent strength - then you can enjoy your music and still be able to hear should anyone yell at you for whatever reason.

I'm glad that in South Africa we don't have such ridiculous rules such as these... yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

its a safety issue. it has nothing do to with performance or relaxation. when you have music in your ears, you cannot hear things like cars and trucks. holding races cost money for insurance. if a runner dies because of they run in front of a car, the race director may be sued. in our litigious society, race directors are only protecting themselves.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple should give her an endorsement for sparking up free publicity.

Thanks
    lol seriously? and like 3/4 of the people had iPods or some other mp3 player
    penisjewface is the name, prostitution is the game.