+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: An Interactive iPhone Theme Park?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I actually see a big problem here at the moment: I have an annual pass to Disneyland and by 6:00 P.M. there are so many people using AT&T's network that
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I actually see a big problem here at the moment:

I have an annual pass to Disneyland and by 6:00 P.M. there are so many people using AT&T's network that there is no data connection until about 30 minutes after park closing. This needs to be fixed before this kind of an idea can take off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys - I actually wrote the iScareYou software for Shocktoberfest so I can tell you how it works. Two years ago we did Text2Scream which controlled everything via SMS or a Java applet. You could launch zombies at victims throughout the park, send messages to a big screen in Club Shock (haunted nightclub attraction), request a song from the DJ, etc.

The iPhone wasn't quite ready for prime time back then - it existed but there wasn't enough out in the world. But that has changed. So this year we relaunched the system as iScareYou.

You can't download anything until you're at the park - and the ScareZones are hidden so you have to discover them for yourself. It's also location-based so if you step outside of the ScareZone you can't interact with it anymore. Don't worry about multiple people triggering it at the same time - it's all handled.

Basically how it works is this: we have PLC (programmable logic controllers) that talk to relays and inputs, photo sensors, etc. Our software talks to the PLC's every 10ms and polls for the status of any inputs and then sets the proper outputs. An example of an output would be a relay, a hydraulic or pneumatic valve, commands to a DVD player, etc.

The hardware is the same thing that runs the shows at Universal Studios and Disney - except we use our own software to drive everything.

Text2Scream and iScareYou are pretty cool if I do say so myself - although I may be biased. We're talking to both Universal and Disney about it - so you may see this technology spread.

-Zach

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12