+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Teeter Totters on Tethering

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
You think they started upgrading their network in 2008 to support iPhones? Yeah... you're not gullible at all. If that was the case, they would have been DONE by now
    My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

You think they started upgrading their network in 2008 to support iPhones? Yeah... you're not gullible at all. If that was the case, they would have been DONE by now with all network issues. People would have been reporting more reception and less dropped calls way before now if that was happening. They sat around until a few months ago then decided to spend a few dollars on fixing their problems.

I don't have to be smarter than AT&T to know they like making money more than satisfying their customers, it's always been like that at AT&T. If that was the case they'd have 3G similar in size to Verizon's EV-DO coverage which they don't. Telus, Bell both deployed HSPA over their CDMA in less than a year and now the network is ready to be used , granted the area they covered is smaller, it's not ******* impossible to get the ball rolling BEFORE they launch the devices.

Lovely

Not

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Look folks, there are a lot of cheap asses out there that are perfectly willing to drop their ATT home service to tether off their phone and it's gonna cost ATT and they KNOW IT. They aren't exactly jumping for joy over handing their customers a free internet line for the house..
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Cool I cant wait until it finally comes out and they can change me exra for it!!!
    iPhone 3gs 3.1 firmware

Lockerz member PM for inv

Thanks

i dont use mine too much but ive had to and it does come in handy, im still on 3.0.1 b/c of no jailbreak for PC but if they disabled it in 3.1/3.1.2 you could always get mywifi from rock app that worked good when i was on there free trial!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    They aren't exactly jumping for joy over handing their customers a free internet line for the house..
    I seriously doubt that AT&T is going to let tethering out without a fee of some sort.

Thanks

i dont use mine too much but ive had to and it does come in handy, im still on 3.0.1 b/c of no jailbreak for PC but if they disabled it in 3.1/3.1.2 you could always get mywifi from rock app that worked good when i was on there free trial!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    God.. AT&T needs to put it together

Hit "Thanks" if I helped

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    I think AT&T is handling the situation as good as, if not better than, every other carrier could in this scenario. Would you rather them roll out all the features possible with the iPhone without having the network in a state where it would be able to deliver everything you want from it and more? I mean come on, you all would be PISSED if AT&T was just like ALRIGHT MMS, TETHERING, NOW! and your 3G speeds came to an absolute crawl and even the thought of using the iPhone for anything data-related sent a shiver down your spine. I for one am glad that AT&T is investing millions upon millions of dollars to upgrade their network instead of just half-assing the situation which many of you seem to suggest you want them to do. QQ more, there have been ways to enable these "locked" features since the iPhone was first jailbroken, so there's nothing to complain about.
    your missing the big picture here. Its amazing how 3rd world countries all have it available, but we have to wait here in the states. What a joke. So what have they been doing the last 5 years with the crap loads of money that they have all made from us. It is unacceptable. We are the first country to get it, yet the last to get the features.. Im so Happy Im using T-mobile.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love reading the comments from people who have obviously NEVER been in a networking field. As someone with that background, I can tell you that it just isn't as simple as saying "hey, let's put up more towers". There are all kinds of complexities involved in upgrading a network, especially one like AT&T's. I don't have 3G where I live, so when I got an email from AT&T recently telling about all the new 3G sites in my state I was excited until I read the list and my area wasn't on it. BUT, I also know what's involved in getting that service to my rural area.

Here is an example: AT&T sends out their survey team for a new cell site in a rural area. The team finds the PERFECT spot on top of a hill. BUT, the owner won't sell OR lease the land. Team has to go with the next best spot. Of course that spot has some issues, but the owner is willing. Tower is built, BUT, it isn't the OPTIMAL location, so the coverage isn't quite what it could have been at the first site. AT&T spends millions to erect the tower to get coverage as well as can be in that location. Do you really think that they should spend milions MORE a mile down the road so that I can have 3G while folks 10 miles down the road have nothing? THINK PEOPLE. There is alot more to building a cell tower than meets the eye...

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke71 View Post
    your missing the big picture here. Its amazing how 3rd world countries all have it available, but we have to wait here in the states. What a joke. So what have they been doing the last 5 years with the crap loads of money that they have all made from us. It is unacceptable. We are the first country to get it, yet the last to get the features.. Im so Happy Im using T-mobile.
    I just have to reply to the 3rd world country statement. In many of those countries, the cell tower goes up whether or not the owner (if there is a private owner) agrees. And don't even mention places like China, private ownership of land isn't an issue there. Do you want that here?

The US is HUGE geographically, with terrain of all kinds. Germany is about the size of Missouri for instance. I may not always like AT&T, but I'm not going to rip on them for something that involves alot more than just "Hey, let's build a cell tower!"
    Last edited by dmerrill; 10-09-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    You think they started upgrading their network in 2008 to support iPhones? Yeah... you're not gullible at all. If that was the case, they would have been DONE by now with all network issues. People would have been reporting more reception and less dropped calls way before now if that was happening. They sat around until a few months ago then decided to spend a few dollars on fixing their problems.
    You know AT&T bought Cingular about 6 months before the original iPhone was released? So regardless of what Cingular was doing with their network, AT&T only had 6 months before the iPhone was publicly available. And even if AT&T knew right then and there that the iPhone 3G was going to be released a year and a half later, they had no idea it was going to be as popular as it was. They have been upgrading their network, but they weren't going to spend extra money to upgrade their network when there was the chance the iPhone would fail and set them back A LOT. Once the iPhone was launched, it was too late. Now they're updating as fast as they can while millions and millions more people are purchasing iPhones.

Not to mention the iPhone 3G was HEAVILY subsidized. AT&T's already spent billions so more more people can afford the iPhone, and that's less money going to their network.

Which brings us back to why Verizon has better coverage than AT&T. Verizon focuses on its network. AT&T focuses on phones. That's why you always hear about how Verizon is the best carrier, but their phones suck. If you want to complain about how bad AT&T's coverage is, go to Verizon. When you can't find a good phone to use with their awesome network, you'll see nothing is perfect.

I don't have to be smarter than AT&T to know they like making money more than satisfying their customers, it's always been like that at AT&T. If that was the case they'd have 3G similar in size to Verizon's EV-DO coverage which they don't. Telus, Bell both deployed HSPA over their CDMA in less than a year and now the network is ready to be used , granted the area they covered is smaller, it's not ******* impossible to get the ball rolling BEFORE they launch the devices.
    Satisfying customers and making money go hand in hand. If your customers aren't satisfied, they won't continue to do business with you. One way or another, AT&T is satisfying you if you continue to pay them. Whether it's the phone or their service, there is a reason you choose to stay with AT&T.

Conclusion: AT&T invests in phones. Verizon invests in their network. Obviously a better phone is more important to you than a better network. Complain all you want, but at the end of the month, AT&T is still getting your money.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I wasn't talking about the OS itself.. and Android wasn't invented in 2010. It's closest to the iPhone OS in the ability to use data.
    up to now MyWi on my iphone works great, ,and if needed ,I wont upgrade to 3.1. this message was posted from my laptop using the "MyWi" from my iphone.
    its been 2 months of normal bill from At&t ,so I guess everything is fine with the use of teathering.

Thanks

Building/finding a location/buying or getting use of the spectrum (850mhz) for a cell tower shouldn't take a year, nor should it excuse there being reception and getting kicked off the tower. All of these new cheapo carriers, T-Mobile, Sprint manage to improve coverage so what's AT&T's excuse?

- Motorola Tao or whatever they're calling it 100% meets my needs. To say AT&T focuses on the phones doesn't make them any better, just proving a point that their network sucks and that they have one great device that no one else has, and that's the iPhone.

... AT&T doesn't get a dime from me because they don't get any reception where I live, T-Mobile, yeah.., CRICKET! Yeah.. Verizon is a given and Sprint is now good in my area.
    Last edited by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL; 10-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Lovely

Not

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdement05 View Post
    I seriously doubt that AT&T is going to let tethering out without a fee of some sort.
    Yet you are convinced the fees for a 3g tether connection on an already "unlimited data" line will be as much as high speed home internet service through ATT? Me thinks not.

Thanks

I don't think anyone in their right mind would use their iPhone as a main data connection, I know I can't and that's not because I don't have 3G, Vonage and other things rely on my DSL. Tethering on the go sure, that can use up enough data on it's own.

Lovely

Not

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmerrill View Post
    I love reading the comments from people who have obviously NEVER been in a networking field. As someone with that background, I can tell you that it just isn't as simple as saying "hey, let's put up more towers". There are all kinds of complexities involved in upgrading a network, especially one like AT&T's. I don't have 3G where I live, so when I got an email from AT&T recently telling about all the new 3G sites in my state I was excited until I read the list and my area wasn't on it. BUT, I also know what's involved in getting that service to my rural area.

Here is an example: AT&T sends out their survey team for a new cell site in a rural area. The team finds the PERFECT spot on top of a hill. BUT, the owner won't sell OR lease the land. Team has to go with the next best spot. Of course that spot has some issues, but the owner is willing. Tower is built, BUT, it isn't the OPTIMAL location, so the coverage isn't quite what it could have been at the first site. AT&T spends millions to erect the tower to get coverage as well as can be in that location. Do you really think that they should spend milions MORE a mile down the road so that I can have 3G while folks 10 miles down the road have nothing? THINK PEOPLE. There is alot more to building a cell tower than meets the eye...

I just have to reply to the 3rd world country statement. In many of those countries, the cell tower goes up whether or not the owner (if there is a private owner) agrees. And don't even mention places like China, private ownership of land isn't an issue there. Do you want that here?

The US is HUGE geographically, with terrain of all kinds. Germany is about the size of Missouri for instance. I may not always like AT&T, but I'm not going to rip on them for something that involves alot more than just "Hey, let's build a cell tower!"
    I don't have that kind of job, but it's not that hard to figure out how it works. People just assume money = magic. AT&T's got billions of dollars. Why don't they just put up more towers?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You honestly think that AT&T is not going to charge some kind of fee for tethering even if you have unlimited data? I see some cost coming along with tethering.

Thanks

Building a cell tower shouldn't take a year, nor should it excuse there being reception and getting kicked off the tower. All of these new carriers, T-Mobile, Sprint mange to improve coverage so what's AT&T's excuse?

- Motorola Tao or whatever they're calling it 100% meets my needs. To say AT&T focuses on the phones doesn't make them any better, just proving a point that their network sucks and that they have one great device that no one else has, and that's the iPhone.

... AT&T doesn't get a dime from me because they don't get any reception where I live, T-Mobile, yeah.., CRICKET! Yeah.. Verizon is a given and Sprint is now good in my area.
    Building a tower sometimes CAN take a year. Sometimes it's quicker, but it does happen. And have you not been paying attention? The reason you get kicked off a tower is because AT&T has so many smartphone users that use up more data than the tower can handle. Instead of pushing the tower to its max and then dropping everyone, it drops some people off so some stay connected.

Stop being so difficult. AT&T IS IS IS IS IS IS IS improving their network and coverage. Just because you don't have it on your farm doesn't mean they're not expanding. There's a higher need in other places. AT&T is STILL better than T-Mobile and Sprint.

AT&T has several great phones, including the best BlackBerry (Bold). Just because you're blinded by the iPhone doesn't mean the rest of their phones aren't good.

Thanks

AT&T isn't the only carrier with a Blackberry, what a laugh. Regardless of what they have the iPhone is the only exclusive phone worth a damn, anything else they have isn't worth switching from any other carrier. Everyone isn't at AT&T for the freaking Quickfire.

Sprint has 3 new towers throughout my city, more elsewhere, once again what's taking AT&T so long? Busy cashing checks from iPhone users? They do pay more.. and it doesn't take a year for these other carriers. AT&T should ask other carriers their formula of being so quick with upgrades and rollouts

Lovely

Not

Thanks

I don't think anyone in their right mind would use their iPhone as a main data connection, I know I can't and that's not because I don't have 3G, Vonage and other things rely on my DSL. Tethering on the go sure, that can use up enough data on it's own.
    There are people out there who drive to the library to use a computer because it's better than theirs on an AOL connection. Off the high horse and onto the reality of living without privs, there are people who'd take you off at the knees for an iphone 2g, much less a 3g or 3gs. Don't think just because you are doing well enough to have choices others aren't. There is a lot of unfortunate persons out there. FYI my 3gs on 3g speeds is "quite impressive for what it is" - coming from someone who has the newest of everything on Comcast's highest home user speed package. With the 3G unrestrictor app, if you need an ISP, ATT tethering has you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by cdement05 View Post
    You honestly think that AT&T is not going to charge some kind of fee for tethering even if you have unlimited data? I see some cost coming along with tethering.
    We are not going to keep coming back to here just because you aren't reading what I am writing. I haven't got that kind of time my man.... let's go through it once more, this time.

Yet you are convinced the fees for a 3g tether connection on an already "unlimited data" line will be as much as high speed home internet service through ATT? Me thinks not.

Thanks

You said people will cancel their Existing High speed service through AT&T to tether through an iPhone.. you said nothing about people with dial up and if you can find a way to hook my TiVo and Vonage service through to my iPhone when I'm not home and use it on my macbook and PC I'd glady use it through AT&T for $30-extra dollars a month on top of iPhone data, but they would probably throttle my connection after the first week..
    " Look folks, there are a lot of cheap asses out there that are perfectly willing to drop their ATT home service to tether off their phone and it's gonna cost ATT and they KNOW IT. They aren't exactly jumping for joy over handing their customers a free internet line for the house.."
    ..to make sure we're clear.

I get Naked DSL 3mbps for 39.99 which isn't much more expensive than tethering from the iPhone officially. I just upgraded to 10mbps tho.
    Last edited by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL; 10-09-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Lovely

Not