+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T Teeter Totters on Tethering

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I knew there was a reason I stayed on 3.0.1 Tethering still works fine.
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SoCal (LA)
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts

    I knew there was a reason I stayed on 3.0.1 Tethering still works fine.

  2. #22
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ddfilms View Post
    I knew there was a reason I stayed on 3.0.1 Tethering still works fine.
    Yesssir!

  3. #23
    Livin the iPhone Life exNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,042
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 169 Times in 124 Posts

    The graphic used in this story is in conflict with the article. Seeing the word "finally" on the graphic leads me to think tethering has been approved. It should be changed.

    Since you used teeter totter in your headline, maybe that would be the better choice of school yard equipment to show instead? Unless you have a thing for contradictions.

  4. #24
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    950
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 81 Times in 64 Posts

    All you people whining about AT&T not offering tethering yet aren't very bright. When they do offer it, they're going to charge for it, and with so many people tethering, it's really going to hurt their network.

    Not to mention you can get tethering NOW for FREE if you'd just look around in these very forums.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

    If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

  5. #25
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Exactly. $60.00 for one of the modem packages a month and you can bet that the iPhone won't be any cheaper. You would be better off buying their aircard and saving your iPhone battery in the process.

  6. #26
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    950
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 81 Times in 64 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    You're serious right? You do know that they're half assing it now.. by upgrading the network AFTER the device and features are available. Doing it right would have meant them rolling out a competent 3G network before the 3G launched. Why should they have to put all the money they earn back into improving the network? That's what it seems like because it took them soooo long after the 3G iPhone launched to admit there was a deficiency in their capacity.
    Yes he was serious, and he's right. But you don't know what you're talking about. Why would AT&T spend billions of dollars to upgrade their network before the iPhone was launched when they didn't know it was going to be such a success?

    Rolling out a competent 3G network before the 3G was launched? So you'd rather Apple release all the newest generations of the iPhone to other countries while we'd be stuck on the original iPhone, EDGE-only? Speak for yourself.

    AT&T is CONSTANTLY updating their network, and they're investing billions of dollars to do so. It's just hard to keep up with the demand. You know why Verizon's network is more reliable than AT&T's? It's because most of Verizon's phones are sh!t that don't use nearly as much data as the phones on AT&T. About 1 in every 4 people on AT&T has a smartphone. More than 1/3 of those people have iPhones, which use up over 4 times as much data as the average smartphone. So if you took away the 10 million iPhones on AT&T and added 40 million regular smartphones, you'd have about 55-60 million smartphones on AT&T. That's over half of their subscribers.

    Like I said. AT&T is upgrading their network. They're just having a hard time keeping up with all the data sponges on their network.

    Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Oh you mean like...the super fast 3G speeds...more bars in more places...crystal clear non dropped calls via the great AT&T network that we as customers get to enjoy now from the second biggest mobile wireless company in America?
    Yep! Well, except for the crystal clear calls (though the call quality isn't bad - just OK), but I don't talk on the phone much anyway. For everything else, AT&T has done a great job in my area.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

    If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

    Luppin (10-09-2009)

  8. #27
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Exactly. $60.00 for one of the modem packages a month and you can bet that the iPhone won't be any cheaper. You would be better off buying their aircard and saving your iPhone battery in the process.
    Not $60 in addition to your iphone plan. $30.00/month just like tethering on all other phones. and if you are using the USB cable it keeps the phone charged.

  9. #28
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Tethering with 3.1
    I jailbroke 3.0 then updated to 3.1 and still have tethering. :P

  10. #29
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zico991 View Post
    I jailbroke 3.0 then updated to 3.1 and still have tethering. :P
    Is your 3.1 jailbroken as well?

  11. #30
    My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts

    Tethering was on mine until I tried to use it.

    Lovely

    Not

  12. #31
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Amen to jailbreaking...

    Been tethering using iPhone's setting since June 23rd...and even before that using PDAnet
    I second that dude....

  13. #32
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Enough whining about tethering and how long it's taking. Who cares about tethering? How about getting something that I am already paying for each month? I think before AT&T gets tethering to work on their network maybe they should share the wealth of having a 3G network here where I live!

  14. #33
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 69 Times in 35 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    Oh you mean like...the super fast 3G speeds...more bars in more places...crystal clear non dropped calls via the great AT&T network that we as customers get to enjoy now from the second biggest mobile wireless company in America?
    See my previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    This dropped call nonsense is definitely extremely over-reported. I recently moved over 1600 miles from my girlfriend and to stay in touch until I return we figured we'd talk on the phone every night. The first couple of nights she would call my house phone from her house phone, a landline on both ends, and we were absolutely plagued by calls being disconnected and whatnot. So I figured what the hell, I'll just talk with my iPhone plugged into my computer so it doesn't die in an hour and lo and behold, not one single dropped call since then. Keep in mind that this has been consistently 3+ hour phone calls every single night for over 2 months now, if that isn't an outstanding and valuable service then I really don't know what is. QQ more about your one in a million dropped calls because I can't understand how you experienced them.
    Only difference now is that it's 4 months without any dropped calls and yes these calls are 3G, with a consistent 5 bars.

  15. #34
    My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    679
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts

    3.0 SB's 6.0 .ipcc FTW!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

  16. #35
    My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    Yes he was serious, and he's right. But you don't know what you're talking about. Why would AT&T spend billions of dollars to upgrade their network before the iPhone was launched when they didn't know it was going to be such a success?

    Rolling out a competent 3G network before the 3G was launched? So you'd rather Apple release all the newest generations of the iPhone to other countries while we'd be stuck on the original iPhone, EDGE-only? Speak for yourself.

    AT&T is CONSTANTLY updating their network, and they're investing billions of dollars to do so. It's just hard to keep up with the demand. You know why Verizon's network is more reliable than AT&T's? It's because most of Verizon's phones are sh!t that don't use nearly as much data as the phones on AT&T. About 1 in every 4 people on AT&T has a smartphone. More than 1/3 of those people have iPhones, which use up over 4 times as much data as the average smartphone. So if you took away the 10 million iPhones on AT&T and added 40 million regular smartphones, you'd have about 55-60 million smartphones on AT&T. That's over half of their subscribers.
    I said upgrade the network BEFORE the release, you think AT&T got wind that the new iPhone would be 3G a week before it was launched? Not knowing it would be such a success, that's rich.The subsidization over the 2G, the upgrades and the 3G. You're acting like the iPhone 3G launched and no one bought it on opening week, had anticipation no one would be buying it, and that it would need time to get exposure so AT&T didn't have to spend the money to upgrade their network before launch, because it didn't need upgrading anyway it was perfect before the iPhone, right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

    "Many of the customers had already camped out for several hours in line to become among the first with the new phone, which updates the one launched a year ago by speeding up Internet access and adding a navigation chip."

    This story about them not knowing is a bunch of baloney, if they didn't know, they had opening week to let them know.

    Only until recently has anything been happening with these upgrades they've been singing about since 08' - Sounds like incompetence to me. Getting more 1900mhz towers up to fill in the gaps would have worked while they we're waiting for the 850.

    Lovely

    Not

  17. #36
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts

    Wha? People touting the 3G network AT&T has?

    Holy hell, I've completely lost 3G signal within about 2 miles of my work, even outdoors since MMS was released.

    That's some fan-freaking-tastic service!

  18. #37
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    Tethering was on mine until I tried to use it.
    same thing happened to my friends'.... even after using that custom profile from "ben"

    Quote Originally Posted by cdement05 View Post
    Enough whining about tethering and how long it's taking. Who cares about tethering? How about getting something that I am already paying for each month? I think before AT&T gets tethering to work on their network maybe they should share the wealth of having a 3G network here where I live!
    If you don't want to hear about people whining than you should not be reading this thread. Many people like myself included, have good use for tethering especially while i'm at school when the network goes down, or is to slow for internet use, and while at the airport and not wanting to pay $12 for internet access for using it for only 1hr or so...
    Last edited by hollow0; 10-09-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #38
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 147 Times in 90 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    This dropped call nonsense is definitely extremely over-reported. I recently moved over 1600 miles from my girlfriend and to stay in touch until I return we figured we'd talk on the phone every night. The first couple of nights she would call my house phone from her house phone, a landline on both ends, and we were absolutely plagued by calls being disconnected and whatnot. So I figured what the hell, I'll just talk with my iPhone plugged into my computer so it doesn't die in an hour and lo and behold, not one single dropped call since then. Keep in mind that this has been consistently 3+ hour phone calls every single night for over 2 months now, if that isn't an outstanding and valuable service then I really don't know what is. QQ more about your one in a million dropped calls because I can't understand how you experienced them.
    And I moved 500 miles from where I was laid off from and can't make a single call inside a building, driving down the road, nor can I get a decent data connection. You are not the entire country, what you experience isn't the final word, and being presumptuous about what other people get versus what you get is stupidity. Just because you have a good connection doesn't mean you can stupidly go around calling people liars and complainers. I loved AT&T where I used to live, but go outside a decent sized city and you're ****** for service quality. You need to get off your high horse and quit acting like you know everything, because you obviously don't.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

    GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL (10-09-2009)

  21. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    oh how great it is to have a jailbroken iPhone with thethering



  22. #40
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    950
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 81 Times in 64 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    I said upgrade the network BEFORE the release, you think AT&T got wind that the new iPhone would be 3G a week before it was launched? Not knowing it would be such a success, that's rich.The subsidization over the 2G, the upgrades and the 3G. You're acting like the iPhone 3G launched and no one bought it on opening week, had anticipation no one would be buying it, and that it would need time to get exposure so AT&T didn't have to spend the money to upgrade their network before launch, because it didn't need upgrading anyway it was perfect before the iPhone, right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

    "Many of the customers had already camped out for several hours in line to become among the first with the new phone, which updates the one launched a year ago by speeding up Internet access and adding a navigation chip."

    This story about them not knowing is a bunch of baloney, if they didn't know, they had opening week to let them know.

    Only until recently has anything been happening with these upgrades they've been singing about since 08' - Sounds like incompetence to me. Getting more 1900mhz towers up to fill in the gaps would have worked while they we're waiting for the 850.
    Even if AT&T knew exactly how many iPhones would be sold on its network, which they didn't, you're acting like it would take less than a year to do a full upgrade to support all the new devices. Besides, if that was the case, it's been over a year since the first 3G was released. AT&T should have finished the upgrade by now.

    Do you honestly think you're smarter than a multi-BILLION dollar company?

    Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$
    Why would AT&T spend billions of dollars to upgrade their network before the iPhone was launched when they didn't know it was going to be such a success?
    Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    I said upgrade the network BEFORE the release...
    So did I.
    Last edited by Channan; 10-09-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

    If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts