Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will MapQuest Get Lost in the Crowded Field of Turn-By-Turn Mobile Apps

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Will MapQuest Get Lost in the Crowded Field of Turn-By-Turn Mobile Apps

Image via Apple Insider

In recent months it had become clear that MapQuest was losing its way... kind of like many people who still use MapQuest for directions.

Just this week, however, MapQuest apparently woke up to the importance of mobile navigation and unveiled a new subscription based turn-by-turn navigation app for the iPhone. Apple Insider provided a peak into the new app and how it works.

The $0.99 application (iTunes link) comes with a 14-day free trial, after which users can purchase one month of service for $3.99, three months for $9.99, or one year for $29.99. The subscription is enabled from within the application, which features maps for both the U.S. and Canada.
    The people at MapQuest appear to be pinning their hopes on the service's long range business model, which clearly indicates a greater willingness and ability to challenge other companies already thriving in the business of mobile phone-based GPS and turn-by-turn navigation apps.

So what do you get for $0.99 and the subsequent subscription fees?

• 3D on-screen navigation
    • Voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation that speaks directions
    • Data Updates for MapQuest's 16 million points of interest
    • Modern street maps and current street names
    • Traffic incident based routing

Single touch location for popular local spots: Hotels, ATMs, movie theaters, gas stations, etc

Although I am yet to personally test drive the app, Apple Insider likens it to AT&T's Mobile Navigator, which similarly offers voice guidance, automatic rerouting, etc. on a paid subscription basis. Although the neat little app from MapQuest has potential, has it arrived too late to the party?

With the likes of TomTom and AT&T taking over the mobile navigation sphere as we speak, MapQuest just seems to some (myself included) like yesterday's means for navigation. Will that change now? We'll definitely find out sooner than later.

Thanks

The interface looks too simple for me. No lane assist. Doesn't mention street names by voice. And monthly/yearly fees? No thanks - I'll stick to Navigon.
    Last edited by adp; 10-09-2009 at 06:31 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, does anyone use Mapquest anymore?? I guess maybe if you email is still @aol.com you might. IMO, they are way too late to the party now. Early adopters already have one they like and light users like myself will be turned off by monthly fees.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

havent used mapquest in a long time, whats with this subscription requirement? sounds like major fail to me...

I mean it looks like crap but I can't afford any of the fancy ones like Tom Tom, can someone recomend an affordable app with voice?
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Cool, so now MapQuest can get you lost in real-time.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

peek* not peak. you guys should let me write articles.

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Cool, so now MapQuest can get you lost in real-time.
    lol

Crappy app plus monthly service fee?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

i HATE mapquest..its like you're getting directions to get lost. They will fail

I refuse to pay monthly for an app . Thats BS . Just get a $50 TomTom and be done with it .

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

garbage pile!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

native Map app is better then this..

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

How do they think their app will be a go? Other ones are already out way before this one and you have to pay? No one wants to pay a fee for their service. I chose to buy Navigon... I do not want any fee's to use any of my apps. I would rather pay the price of Navigon then to pay for this app. Plus Navigon is a excellent app compared to this one as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-09-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spell check

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Fail

Thanks

epic fail why would a spend however much a month/year when you can just buy a better navi app for a 1time fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Pay for an app that has a free trial period?! What the frak?!?!

Colossal FAIL!!
    Last edited by andygev35; 10-09-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    epic fail why would a spend however much a month/year when you can just buy a better navi app for a 1time fee.
    yep, or just get a standalone unit for about the same price as this "subscription" type app.

1 second too late for this inovator unfortunately
    killall Terminal[]