+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Flash Professional CS5 Allows Flash to Run as Native iPhone Code

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
image via thenervousbreakdown.com Stymied in its efforts to bring Flash Player to the iPhone , Adobe has come up with a workaround that one observer has called an " end-around
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Flash Professional CS5 Allows Flash to Run as Native iPhone Code

image via thenervousbreakdown.com

Stymied in its efforts to bring Flash Player to the iPhone, Adobe has come up with a workaround that one observer has called an "end-around:" the new Flash Professional CS5 allows Flash applications to be compiled as stand-alone iPhone apps.

"We are ecstatic to announce that we're enabling you to use your Flash development tools to build applications and compile them to run natively on the iPhone," John Loiacono, head of Adobe's Creative Solutions unit, announced at the AdobeMax conference earlier this week.

Van Baker, an analyst at The Gartner Group, suggested that Adobe's move was kind of a trick play to outflank Apple's refusal to allow Flash Player onto the iPhone. "Adobe's doing an end-around because it's in their interest," he was quoted as saying. "Adobe does an end-around to get Flash into the App Store, so from their developers' standpoint, that's a good thing." Adobe, for its part, rejected the football metaphor. "I don't think 'end-around' is accurate," Adrian Ludwig, Adobe's Flash group manager protested. "Flash developers want their content available through the browser, and we're working with Apple to see what we need to do as a software company, and as developers, to make that possible."

Apple CEO Steve Jobs disparaged Flash at last year's Apple shareholder meeting, saying that the multimedia platform "performs too slow to be useful" on the iPhone. "There's this missing product in the middle. It just doesn't exist," he told the shareholders.

The beta release of Adobe Flash Professional CS5 is expected by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-07-2009 at 12:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Dollfayce (10-07-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, Apple just loosened up VoIP, maybe they'll open up Flash browser content bandwidth, too. In the mean time, this is positive step.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

any good known apps yet with flash? i know theirs like 5 apps, but they all seem pretty cheesy.

-B

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

One step closer

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just want to be able to access sites that wont even let you in if you dont have flash.

Green Apple
    Thanks

"performs too slow to be useful" on the iPhone.

more like Apple's hardware is too slow considering other smartphones are able to handle it now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
    Hey, Apple just loosened up VoIP, maybe they'll open up Flash browser content bandwidth, too. In the mean time, this is positive step.
    AT&T loosened-up on voip. not apple. Apple never put restrictions on VOIP applications. Google Voice was rejected for other reasons.

Thanks

Its about time we get some kind of effort to get flash on the iphone . Again apple is way behind other phones when it comes to some of the most useful tools that should have been implemented on the iphone in the first place . These bugs should have been worked out in the 3GS model . I mean if there are millions and millions of iphone users , what is AT&T doing with all that cash ? How about improving your structure and giving your customers what they want .

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

This will bring a ton more apps to the App Store. Looking forward to it. :-)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    One step closer

Apple Walker
    KEEP WALKING!

Enjoy....!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a waste of time and effort. The VAST majority of Flash apps are complete crap. There are plenty of uses for flash that involve flv flash animation only or simple web navigation. Restrict Flash support to nav and media and all is good. We have hundreds of free Cocoa Touch fart apps. Do we really need thousands of horrendous Flash games that all look alike, work alike, and appear to have been written by the same 8th grader?

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

if I was a developer, I'd find a way to bring flash to the broken outta jail world, why wait on apple? that quote by steve jobs doesn't make sense, flash is here to stay for the time being at least
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmancuso View Post
    This is a waste of time and effort. The VAST majority of Flash apps are complete crap. There are plenty of uses for flash that involve flv flash animation only or simple web navigation. Restrict Flash support to nav and media and all is good. We have hundreds of free Cocoa Touch fart apps. Do we really need thousands of horrendous Flash games that all look alike, work alike, and appear to have been written by the same 8th grader?
    well at least this is a start, better things will come, you have to start somewhere right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

This is what I have been waiting for. As an avid designer, Flash is a key program that I use in multiple ways to work. Once this is effective, I will most certainly be purchasing CS5 for developing Apps.

Thanks

I must be missing something very obvious here. Flash isn't on the iPhone. So how is it all this is going to be approved by Apple to get through the app store?

From what I read sounds nice and all, but looks like you'll have to go the jailbreak route to get it on the phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I hope one day apple is more open to what we want on our devices, and not only aprove only what they think is good for us

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hum that browser on cydia i never installed is starting to seem like it could be a worthy download in the near future cuz thats honestly the only reason i wish i had flash damn blue box.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Half step closer

Thanks

I want flash for browsing!

Thanks

That's good. Can't wait. Just one step closer.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!