Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vonage iPhone App Released; GVoice Still in Limbo

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Vonage iPhone App Released; GVoice Still in Limbo

image via AllThingsDigital

Having rejected an app for allegedly "replacing the iPhone's core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone calls," Apple approved an app that pretty much replaces the iPhone's core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface: Vonage Mobile, now available as a free download from iTunes.

When the iPhone is connected to a WiFi network, Vonage sends calls over the data link, bypassing the wireless carrier entirely. When WiFi is not available, the calls go through the carrier's network, using up minutes on the user's wireless plan, and transporting the calls over the Vonage network to domestic and international numbers. Vonage users must pre-pay their airtime, though reports indicate that an all-you-can-eat flat fee will be rolled out later this year.

According to an Apple spokesperson, Apple Vonage's application to be in the same category as other VoIP apps, such as Skype Mobile, that have already been approved for the iPhone. She declined to answer whether Apple considers there to be significant differences between Vonage's program and Google Voice... even though like Vonage - and unlike Skype -Google Voice uses the cellular network when WiFi is unavailable.

The FCC is still probing a dispute between Google and Apple over Apple's non-rejection rejection of the Google Voice app.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Scoops98 (10-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    so you mean to tell me I can't use my existing vonage account phone number to make and receive calls. WEAK! This is a huge dissapointment.

Jesus Christ so this works exactly like Google Voice when it isn't on Wifi and it's a full VOIP app when it has Wifi.

So basically Google Voice's problem is that it isn't a VOIP app. What the frak?

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

So having AT&T Mobile to Mobile, defeats the purpose of getting this if your not on a wifi? Correct me if I'm wrong?

couldn't you just trick the phone in thinking it is always on wifi, then always use vonage for your phone, and never use minutes again?

Thanks

I'm sitting in hell right now and the temperature just dropped

If it is using air time , it is pointless. All you need is Skype with 3g unrestricter.
    $3.00 monthly subscription will give you unlimited calls to us and Canada regardless of cell or land line.
    Only downside is call qualty varies.

Does this mean someone could just cancel ther plan with at&t and get this app an pay for a cheaper vonage plan that they can also use in wifi?? It seems that vonage has found the solution to, in essence, sell its vonage network for cheap to iphone owners which is basically like selling the iphone from vonage (obviously minus the $200 or $300) and got it on the app store!! I could only imagine at&t would be furious right now. Think about it: the exclusive network provider for the iPhone is once again (unlocking being the first) being faced with people using what should be exclusively their money the network to what: Vonage- the cheapest and most basic phone service out there. Apple may have its reasons for keeping the app in the app store but i could only imagine itd be a matter of weeks or even days before at&t steps in.

But as to why apple didnt reject it is another thing, as you said, like google voice it allows you to use cellar data when its not on wifi. However, does this mean at&t data or vonages own network data? Because it eould make sense for apple to reject it if it used its exclusive providers phone service for network data and just replaced the phone app when not only wifi but if it provided its own cellular service with the paid price...

Not really sure im getting it. I tried disabling the phone and just having wifi. I am able to make outgoing calls via the app. My issue is that i need to be able to receive calls via the app and that doesnt work. Calls go straight to VM when the "phone" is disbaled. Any thoughts? The reason i need incoming via wifi only is my firestation has horrible signal indoors and i miss calls all the time..

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolute Fail. Even Rock's Vonagent allows you to control some of your Vonage account. I'm sticking with Skype.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    3 points really.

1st has already been covered by several people.

2nd is skype replaces the core phone AND sms applications and that got through no problem, so apples double standards apply as a standard protocol.

3rd im fed up with all this crap with apple being so protective of their "core applications" they have already passed several music download apps, there are tons of free sms apps, there are even a few web browsers, enough said on the matter really

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0Milk0 View Post
    So having AT&T Mobile to Mobile, defeats the purpose of getting this if your not on a wifi? Correct me if I'm wrong?
    Not really. You can call other countries without having a ridiculous dollar a minute charge using this.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    one thing i don't get is does this mean if you have an unlimited vonage plan for your house you can use that on your iphone? i assume not but that would be awesome.

Thanks

if this does the same thing google voice would have done then the only reasoning they let it in was 1. to get back at google or 2. they must get a hefty chunk from vonage. it just seems strange to me apple breaking their own rules for this and not google, HMMMMM?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

IM sorry but Fuk apple! I mean they reject GV and then they let this Vonage app thats the exact thing but orange come in. WTF?

Apple is so dumb, I bought a 3G and hacked it so that I'd be able to use GV Mobile but I wish had the Google Brand Voice Dialer and the Latitude app. I think I'll just buy an Android phone next time around because Apple is doing everything in its power to make it difficult to use Google products. So why not just buy straight from Google. Lesson to Apple: This is how to lose customers. This Vonage BS is so irritating because it very obviously shows the anti-competitive practices of Apple. Hey Apple, Microsoft called and it wants it's customer relations back.

Heh, figure this one out...

AT&T Extends VoIP to 3G Network for iPhone - Yahoo! Finance

I don't see how AT&T can follow through with this and not expect to lose some serious profits. It's great for the customer, but it's suicide for AT&T.

I'm also surprised this hasn't been put on the main page yet; I would figure modmyi would be all over this one...

you have vonage mobile account?

Quote Originally Posted by iCeDmAn View Post
    so you mean to tell me I can't use my existing vonage account phone number to make and receive calls. WEAK! This is a huge dissapointment.
    First u register vonage mobile account !!!
    Last edited by mYiPhOnE7; 10-06-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast