+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dominoes Continue to Fall on iPhone Carrier Exclusivity

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Why don't the dev's just create a universal unlock for cdma that only used what it needs to run Sprint possibly with a sim more in-tune to cdma network even
    Thanks

Why don't the dev's just create a universal unlock for cdma that only used what it needs to run Sprint possibly with a sim more in-tune to cdma network even though you would have to buy this said sim. This is just an idea. Maybe a CDMA sim card that fills in or adds to what the iphone already has.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

The CDMA networks in the US don't support whatever special sim that would need to be used if they did. It's impossible

Lovely

Not

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Image via Geek.com

The news out of Canada tonight suggests the extinction of Apple's exclusive carrier contracts has never been closer to US borders. The latest example? Apple Insider is reporting that two new carriers in Canada will now offer the handset.

This development out of Canada is rehashing speculation about whether Apple will stay with AT&T or include other carriers after the their exclusive deal expires next year. Many agree with the projections put out by Morgan Stanley's Kathryn Huberty, an analyst who recently articulated that Apple's handset market share in the U.S. could double if, for example, it brought the likes of a Verizon Wireless into the fold.

But even as the dominoes continue to fall on exclusivity, neither Apple or AT&T will speak a word as to whether the current exclusivity carrier agreement will stay in place beyond 2010.

As we know, Apple recently signed a three-year deal with China Unicom to sell the handset in Asia's largest mobile community.
    But even in China there will be no such thing as exclusivity with the iPhone.

As Europe, Asia, and North America all usher in the era of non-exclusive carrier agreements with the iPhone, how could it be anything but just a matter of time before the same transpires in the US?
    Here you go tellus has officially announced carring iphone 3gs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dominoes Continue to Fall on iPhone Carrier Exclusivity-1409lr4.jpg  

Thanks

Just had a look and Telus want a 3 year contract
    And data is $35 (Canadian for up to 500Mb (but strangely that does include unlimited SMS) - That's more than I poay a month for all my SMS/MMS/Minutes and up to 3Gb Data and I thought I was hard done by having to sign a contract for 18 months...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

i hate AT&T just as much as everybody else but i doubt they're going to break up with Apple anytime soon

Thanks

I don't hate AT&T
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdc929 View Post
    i hate AT&T just as much as everybody else but i doubt they're going to break up with Apple anytime soon
    it's not up to at&t to decide if they want to stay with apple, thats apples call. However, if at&t is crazy enough to offer apple a lot of money for an extension than thats a different story.

but i would like to see it on sprint/t-mobile/verizon just to see what will happen when millions of people get thier hands on an iphone and start slowing down networks left and right.

i wouldn't mind going to sprint they are cheaper than at&t/verizon for an iphone. my cousins blackberry curve hit 3400kbps on sprint ev-do, it only happened once but that is still amazing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't hate at&t either, i'm actually quite happy with my service.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Just had a look and Telus want a 3 year contract
    And data is $35 (Canadian for up to 500Mb (but strangely that does include unlimited SMS) - That's more than I poay a month for all my SMS/MMS/Minutes and up to 3Gb Data and I thought I was hard done by having to sign a contract for 18 months...
    Canadian cell phone companies rape their customers' wallets. That's what happens when there's no competition.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    Canadian cell phone companies rape their customers' wallets. That's what happens when there's no competition.
    i think rape is an understatement, we should create a new word for what canadian carriers do.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mawells787 View Post
    i think rape is an understatement, we should create a new word for what canadian carriers do.
    But you guys can choose which carrier rapes you now!

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    But you guys can choose which carrier rapes you now!
    of course we get to choose this AMERICA dammit! they even let us choose what lubrucant to use before they rape us, life's great over here.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    Yep... Because that doesn't happen here in the good ol' U. S. of A... No siree...

Pardon my sarcasm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Yep... Because that doesn't happen here in the good ol' U. S. of A... No siree...

Pardon my sarcasm...
    We're talking about the iPhone. Here we get lovingly raped only by AT&T. Canadians now have a choice to which iPhone carrier will do things to them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hopefully this competition will lower the ridiculous prices we're paying for data

I just can't believe i'm paying 30 $ /m for 1 gb of data...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    We're talking about the iPhone. Here we get officially raped only by AT&T. Canadians now have a choice to which iPhone carrier will officially do things to them.
    There, fixed that for you.

Thanks

Unofficially you get cheaper plans on T-Mobile at the expense of being stuck in EDGE forever. So you still get raped metaphorically since I rather put a bullet through my skull than using my iPhone again without 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Verizon is getting iPhone as well.

A friend of mine is manager @ Best Buy and told me a Verizon rep came by (10/5) and spilled the beans.
    As a current T-mo customer, that blows. Would rather merge with Verizon. :/ Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too...

EDIT: Oh and, you may quote me on this when it happens. Because it will happen.
    Last edited by epiksol; 01-11-2011 at 09:46 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

He fed you two rumors. Google and Verizon just penciled in an agreement with Android so an iPhone with Verizon is even LESS likely. DT and Sprint/Nextel merging is another unsubsantiated rumor and and the fact that they both operate on different network techonogies really makes it less of a possibility although it isn't impossible.

Lovely

Not

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont see how the iPhone switching networks would kill the other networks, if anything it would ease the pressure off at&t's network, and balance out. I don't think everyone would switch. I wouldnt, I got 3g everywhere. The pricing would be more competitive. Although I dont see a switch coming, unless someone is going to fork over alot of money.