+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dominoes Continue to Fall on iPhone Carrier Exclusivity

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy Saying VZW doesn't lock up it's smartphones anymore implies they have smartphones to begin with.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Saying VZW doesn't lock up it's smartphones anymore implies they have smartphones to begin with.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Again with the Verizon speculation? We've been hearing about this since before the OG iphone came out in '07. Give it a rest. Verizon has to have their vcast or VZWireless shite on all their phones. I don't see that changing and I don't see Apple compromising either.

I see how their deals in other countries would promote speculation of their deal with AT&T only being done, but its not gonna be with Verizon.
    second to that and i think verizon would have to change their network for the iphone and i dont see it happen.tmobile yes maybe.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 10-06-2009 at 06:17 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    AT&T is not competitive at all, having the same price as Verizon for a lot of it's services but having a much smaller network is hardly being competitive. T-Mobile has good pricing, Cricket has Excellent pricing, Sprint has good pricing. AT&T does not. Verizon's pricing represents the quality of service.

And VZW doesn't lock up it's smartphones anymore so drop that tired arguement.
    LOLWUT

If you check the image I provided, you'll see that their networks are almost exactly the same in size, the only real blaring difference is that Verizon has more coverage in mountainous areas, while AT&T has more coverage in places such as all of northern Texas and Michigan. Also, bear in mind that the AT&T map doesn't flesh out in full detail all the tiny places where they offer coverage on the nation-wide scale as Verizon does, so it is a very real possibility that there is slightly more coverage shown on the AT&T map (this isn't real that much of a valid point but still). And finally, these maps show where they offer voice coverage, and while AT&T offers full data coverage for everywhere that there is voice coverage, Verizon does not.

tl;dr Your claim of AT&T having a "much smaller network" is grossly inaccurate, and seeing as how a lot of people look to you for advice on the topic of Ultrasn0wing their iPhones to work with T-Mobile, you should take care to make sure what you say is accurate as it could lead some of the more helpless ones to believe something that simply isn't true.

Edit: And on the subject of whether cellphone networks offer good pricing: It has been my experience that T-Mobile and Sprint have absolutely HORRENDOUS coverage so they would have to have lower prices to reflect the lower quality of service, but that's just my experience with all of my friends having either one of those providers and constantly complaining about lackluster coverage even though we live just outside of New York City on Long Island, where you would think a cellphone company's coverage would be at its strongest.
    Last edited by Luppin; 10-06-2009 at 06:48 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    LOLWUT

If you check the image I provided, you'll see that their networks are almost exactly the same in size, the only real blaring difference is that Verizon has more coverage in mountainous areas, while AT&T has more coverage in places such as all of northern Texas and Michigan. Also, bear in mind that the AT&T map doesn't flesh out in full detail all the tiny places where they offer coverage on the nation-wide scale as Verizon does, so it is a very real possibility that there is slightly more coverage shown on the AT&T map (this isn't real that much of a valid point but still). And finally, these maps show where they offer voice coverage, and while AT&T offers full data coverage for everywhere that there is voice coverage, Verizon does not.

tl;dr Your claim of AT&T having a "much smaller network" is grossly inaccurate, and seeing as how a lot of people look to you for advice on the topic of Ultrasn0wing their iPhones to work with T-Mobile, you should take care to make sure what you say is accurate as it could lead some of the more helpless ones to believe something that simply isn't true.

Edit: And on the subject of whether cellphone networks offer good pricing: It has been my experience that T-Mobile and Sprint have absolutely HORRENDOUS coverage so they would have to have lower prices to reflect the lower quality of service, but that's just my experience with all of my friends having either one of those providers and constantly complaining about lackluster coverage even though we live just outside of New York City on Long Island, where you would think a cellphone company's coverage would be at its strongest.
    You are wasting your time talking about coverage. Some people are stuck in their beliefs that AT&T is inferior.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

That map includes roaming(1/3 of it is someone elses network), and is mostly GPRS/EDGE. Have you seen a VZW EV-DO coverage map?

Lovely

Not

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon wont get the iphone.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Let me help you out with a visual demonstration

Lovely

Not

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default bell - iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaroFC View Post
    Lol...someone is lying!
    dude ......check your wifi around downtown toronto...telus and bell are testing their wifi signal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't wait for Apple to go with other networks here in the US. Better pricing, more options, and I believe it will lessen the strain on AT&T's network since I'm sure MANY people will leave them to be on another network.

I think Apple will most likely go with Verizon or a CDMA phone. They already are with AT&T which is GSM.. they may want to try CDMA. Especially since Verizon does Over-The-Air updates.. maybe that's something Apple will like to see done on the iPhone. Also, if they were to go with Verizon and use OTA updates.. I wonder how it would impact Jailbreakers/Unlockers?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    second to that and i think verizon would have to change their network for the iphone and i dont see it happen.tmobile yes maybe.
    Third. Without VZW crap on the iphone, the iphone won't be on VZW.
    Last edited by firedog341; 10-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    iPhone 4 Running 6.1.2 on TMo
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

Thanks

Again, I don't believe apple is going with anyone else. Why should they? The only reason I would go to at&t is because I would be able to update the fw on my iphone and avoid 1600 errors, but I can't since tmobile has the best rates. If tmobile sold the iphone then I am sure the data plan rates would be the same as at&t. Be careful what you wish for is all I got to say.

Thanks

They wouldn't change, you don't think people would be up in arms if that happened?

Lovely

Not

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bell and Telus Created a new network which is cdma. so now it can support cdma phones

Thanks

They've been CDMA for a while darling.

Lovely

Not

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qgshadow View Post
    Bell and Telus Created a new network which is cdma. so now it can support cdma phones
    you mean they created a HSPA network, they are CDMA. But the iphone will be working on thier HSPA network which is GSM.

They wouldn't change, you don't think people would be up in arms if that happened?
    Do you remember what happened when the 3G came out on. The plan went from $20 to $30 without the 200 text. EVeryone just drank the kool-aid and paid up.

the iphone is a cash cow and t-mobile and every other carrier will want to suck it dry. in other words if they wanted to they could make a seperate iphone data plan and charge $30. and people can scream and yell but if you want it you pay for it.
    Last edited by mawells787; 10-06-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

T-Mobile has a 3G data plan, it's $24.99.. Android users are already paying this. If the data prices we're the same there would be even LESS of a reason to switch from AT&T, to a smaller network - For the same money? Ok, no..

Lovely

Not

Green Apple
    Thanks

T-Mobile has a 3G data plan, it's $24.99.. Android users are already paying this. If the data prices we're the same there would be even LESS of a reason to switch from AT&T, to a smaller network - For the same money? Ok, no..
    those are new rates right? becuase i thought they charge $20. i just hope the iphone goes everywhere next year, i will still stay on at&t but hopefully it will create a more competetive market for everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Going across the border to Kan-A-Duh for a hardware unlocked phone would be easy as hell so let's skip the carrier exclusive deal and go like china.
    Me too. It's a short trip up I5 for me. I'm thinking this might be the route to go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone luqven's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does no one think it might go to sprint? Think about it, better plans, 4g, and a more than co-operative ceo who wants to "milk the cash cow". In any case, I think that apple is most likely going to just offer a unsubsidized unlocked iphone, for any carrier. This is the most logical, you are still leaving att with an advantage AND you're still making the same amount of money...

Thanks

I don't doubt or see why they they wouldn't make one for every carrier, it makes the most sense. But with Google locking in a deal with Verizon to bring Android phones I doubt it will be on Verizon within the next 6 or so months.

Lovely

Not