+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Google Spamming the iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Is Google Spamming the iPhone?

Image via SearchEngineLand

Apple's recent purchase of PlaceBase, a company that produces a maps API called Pushpin, has illustrated to many Apple's intention of competing with Google, which, for now, largely dominates the digital mapping landscape.

As the days pass amidst our heightened awareness of Apple's potential aims, more evidence surfaces as to why Apple may have more reason than ever to "map" out a new, more competitive course for itself.

Greg Sterling at Search Engine Land is out this weekend with some interesting food for thought.
    We got a tip from Anthony Avolio yesterday, who pointed out that Google was showing ads on Maps on the iPhone. Until then I hadnít noticed it.
    The links uncovered by Search Engine Land closely resemble the Sponsored Links that appear in Google search results. Does Apple know about this? More importantly, are they sharing in the revenue from Google's apparent subtle spamming endeavor? All are good questions, but none have easy answers at this time. Since we don't know the details of Apple's agreement with Google, we have no way of knowing if these apparent sponsored links fall in line with the agreement currently in place or if recent bad blood between the two companies has inspired Google to take a new direction with sponsored links in Google maps.

There are a number of people who believe that itís now just a matter of time before Apple introduces its own substitute maps for the iPhone, but that very much remains to be seen.
    The acquisition of PlaceBase suggests that Apple is ready to beef up its geolocation offerings, likely with a service that will rival Google maps. But such a service is probably still closer to the drawing board than it is to a full-fledged launch.

For now, the only thing we know for sure is that Google and Apple are growing further apart. Like a Hollywood marriage that's tabloid bound, these two seem poised for a split eventually. As it stands, however, both companies still need each other for a variety of reasons. But I think we're beginning to see Apple and Google aggressively laying the groundwork for becoming fully independent of one another.

I'm no Dr. Phil, but with more and more evidence surfacing that the coupling of Apple and Google is becoming a toxic relationship, it's difficult to see a future that keeps these two working together for any reason at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wait, y can't sponsored ads on google be displayed on the iPhone. People are paying for those ads

Thanks

Hmm... it's exactly like you're blaming google (or any other ad service) for showing ads in safari on your macbook, which doesn't make any sense in today's digital world!

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

This is borderline ridiculous. Google helped make a dedicated native application for the iPhone and they are now putting ads in it like its a safari page or a free App Store fart application? What if the Weather app all of a sudden had ads in it from Yahoo or the YouTube app had those annoying popups from the youtube.com site? Its crap and im being a little too dramatic i know but either Google and Apple better straighten out their relationship or Apple better make those maps fast
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

The mapping service is owned by Google, but the "Map Application" is owned by Apple. I think Google can only display whatever the user requests, not any other addons like sponsor link or ad banners like you see in free apps. If there are some advertisements going on in Apple's app, I'm sure they will want a piece of that pie.
    Last edited by knguyen; 10-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

But if Apple is trying to push Google out of the picture, wouldn't Youtube be next to go seeing as how Google bought Youtube.
    Last edited by gamer765; 10-03-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
    The mapping service is owned by Google, but the "Map Application" is owned by Apple. I think Google can only display whatever the user requests, not any other addons like sponsor link or ad banners like you see in free apps. If there are some advertisements going on in Apple's app, I'm sure they will want a piece of that pie.
    How do you know Apple owns the "Map Application"? Do you work for Apple? Did you see their legal contract? Don't think so!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    But if Apple is trying to push Google out of the picture, wouldn't Youtube be next to go seeing as how Google bought Youtube.
    Nope... No way apple would kill default youtube app... they're just trying to reduce the dependency by killing google maps app

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    How do you know Apple owns the "Map Application"? Do you work for Apple? Did you see their legal contract? Don't think so!
    Woah Woah Woah calm down dude. That was only an assumption. I'm only putting in my two cents. Can you prove that Apple doesn't own the Map application and what i'm saying is wrong?

iPhone? More like MyPhone reddevilseye's Avatar
    Thanks

What about street view?? Can apple have that too?? What about the fast update for the maps?? What about the traffic on the main streets that only google online map have?? Apple can't have all that today so no change is comin soon, and google have many things to slap apple back in the face, like google mobile app if they have a browser in it that will kill safari,

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    This is borderline ridiculous. Google helped make a dedicated native application for the iPhone and they are now putting ads in it like its a safari page or a free App Store fart application? What if the Weather app all of a sudden had ads in it from Yahoo or the YouTube app had those annoying popups from the youtube.com site? Its crap and im being a little too dramatic i know but either Google and Apple better straighten out their relationship or Apple better make those maps fast
    you should straighten out the color of your damn post. can't you use a color that doesn't hurt pplz eyes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    you should straighten out the color of your damn post. can't you use a color that doesn't hurt pplz eyes?
    I like the text just fine, thanks tho. You could always stop by your optometrist
    iLive an iLife

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice Bernie-Mac, that's like saying FU,............still bothers people's eyes, hard to read. Bad taste on text color for forums, my personal opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    It is simple, just don't read the guys posts which is what I do with anyone that uses color that contrasts terribly with the body background color. It is tacky but they allow it here.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    It is simple, just don't read the guys posts which is what I do with anyone that uses color that contrasts terribly with the body background color. It is tacky but they allow it here.
    Thanks for your support I love these forums
    iLive an iLife

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

^ The color doesn't bother me there buddy..... Nice color to match with your avatar! Keep posting, enjoy MMI and be happy!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-04-2009 at 10:12 AM.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

Bernie-Mac (10-04-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple has bought their own map service just the other day. There is no doubt that Google is upset, so I believe they are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    ^ The color doesn't bother me there buddy..... Nice color to match with your avatar! Keep posting, enjoy MMI and be happy!
    It makes it very difficult to read and is as rude as shouting - and that annoys the hell out of me.

Reading lots of posts is one thing, when people try and highlight theirs I ignore them, but that's not easy.

It is very annoying.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

Maybe google is trying to milk everything out the iPhone before apple dumps them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    It makes it very difficult to read and is as rude as shouting - and that annoys the hell out of me.

Reading lots of posts is one thing, when people try and highlight theirs I ignore them, but that's not easy.

It is very annoying.
    +1 I like going through and reading all the comments, and it's really hard to ignore one. And it hurt my eyes a little to read it on my phone.

Yeah you can do it. No rules against it. But if you want more people to read your comments, you should make them easier to read. If you don't want them to read it, then why bother commenting?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.