+ Reply
Page 1 of 21 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [GUIDE] Jailbreak 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.1.3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This will walk you through jailbreaking your iPhone / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3G[S] with an end result of a jailbroken 3.1 device. This will only work on a Mac.
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Default [GUIDE] Jailbreak 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.1.3

This will walk you through jailbreaking your iPhone / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3G[S] with an end result of a jailbroken 3.1 device. This will only work on a Mac.

If you have a 3G[S], you will need to have ALREADY jailbroken the device at a previous 3.xfirmware (3.0 or 3.0.1) in order for this to work. If you have a 3G[S] which came at or has already been upgraded to 3.1 through Apple, this release of PwnageTool (3.1.3) WILL NOT WORK.

Alright, download PwnageTool 3.1.3 from here:

MMi Member Mirror
    Rapidshare
    MegaUpload

You will also need the 3.1 firmware file for your device. We recommend you download the firmware file with FireFox, as Safari tends to mess with the extension with default values. If you have not already clicked the "download but don't install" option for 3.1 in iTunes, you can download the 3.1 firmware for your device here:

iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3G[S]

Once you've downloaded the PwnageTool application, and placed it in your Applications folder on your Mac, double-click it to run it.

You may be shown the Mac warning "'Pwnage Tool' is an application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" Go ahead and click Open.

Click OK on the Copyright screen that pops up.

This version of PwnageTool checks back for updates, so click Allow if OS X asks you if PwnageTool can connect to iPhone Dev Team Portal [iPhone Dev Team] and wikee.iphwn.org.

Now choose the device you're wanting to jailbreak. For this guide, I'm upgrading my 3G to 3.1 jailbroken. PwnageTool now classifies both the 3G and the 3G[S] under the 3G[S] image on their main screen, so we'll click that. The option would be the same for 3G[S] users.

Now we'll want to search for our 3.1 firmware bundle (which you downloaded in the beginning of the guide - links above). PwnageTool will most likely find it on its own, but if not you can browse to the firmware file. Make sure it is in .ipsw format (Safari tends to download and uncompress it with default values, which is why we recommend using FireFox to download the file).

Pwnage Tool should confirm the file. If it does not, you downloaded the wrong firmware or are not using the .ipsw format, and should download the firmware again, using FireFox.

Next up, PwnageTool lets you know it'll be building a custom .ipsw on your desktop. Hit Yes.

You'll be asked if you have a legitimately activated contract that activates through iTunes. U.S. T-Mobile users obviously don't. Answer this one truthfully, as it determines whether PwnageTool will activate the phone for you or not. U.S. AT&T users can click Yes assuming you're on a legit iPhone plan through AT&T.

Now PwnageTool will build the .ipsw file for you. This will take up to 10 minutes, and at some point you'll be asked to provide your computer's password, do so.

You'll wind up with a successful .ipsw file created on your desktop. Now that we've got that, we'll want to close PwnageTool (Apple+Q quits), and open iTunes and restore with this file.

Open iTunes (it's ok if it was already open), and with your iPhone connected, hold down the Power and Home button together for about 25 seconds. You should see the Connect to iTunes screen, and iTunes should pop up a window letting you know its found an iPhone in recovery mode.

Make SURE you HOLD DOWN THE OPTION KEY while pressing Restore - this will bring up a window asking you which file you'd like to restore with. Choose the custom .ipsw you just made. Make sure you are NOT choosing the stock 3.1 file you might have downloaded earlier.

Now you just sit and wait for 15-20 minutes while iTunes updates your iPhone for you. You'll see a flurry of messages, and your iPhone will cycle through a few different screens including a Pwnapple and the Apple screen with the loading bar as the firmware updates.

When all's said and done, you will see iTunes ask you to set up as a new iPhone or restore from backup - either way is fine! Restore from backup puts back all your contacts, calendars, settings, etc.

That's it!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

blandv (10-06-2009), Cer0 (10-02-2009), corkey20000 (10-04-2009), Craig Morton Dundee (10-02-2009), dhruvmalik (10-03-2009), edgecrusher230 (10-02-2009), Fallguy (10-02-2009), ifish0503 (10-14-2009), Jerms (12-26-2009), joshbot (10-03-2009), kainisable (10-03-2009), Kiserai (10-05-2009), Lazworks (10-06-2009), lilskaterpunk (10-03-2009), limited (10-02-2009), louort3 (10-04-2009), mactwisted (10-03-2009), marcel665 (10-05-2009), nevembalint (03-06-2010), phoneboi (10-02-2009), pikoman (10-02-2009), rserik (10-03-2009), steve-z17 (10-03-2009), tonkajds (10-03-2009), typer0149 (10-05-2009)

Thanks

Thank you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Home Skillet For This Useful Post:

typer0149 (10-05-2009)

Thanks

sweet!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Awsome () Cant wait to try.. So i have a 3g on 3.1 (pwnd but not unlocked) so this will just install the same but not pwnd?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blacksti For This Useful Post:

Craig Morton Dundee (10-02-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Excellent walk through guide.... makes it all very clear. Thank you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mtwiford's Avatar
    Thanks

what about the carrier file signing? Has this been bypassed?

......epic

iPhone? More like MyPhone yoTelefonoCuatro's Avatar
    Thanks

hey,

mine isnt going online, nor is it showing AT&T as my carrier...
    cydia keeps crashing when i download anything...

anyone having these issues?
    yoTelefonoTresG, now introducing...
    the new..
    yoTelefonoCuatro.

say "Amen Brotha!" or "thanks a bunch!", click that "Thanks!" button!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am getting an error code 1600? anyone have any ideas? I already tried to delete everything out of ~/Library/iTunes/”Device Support” but nothing was there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SVD85 For This Useful Post:

kyle01 (10-03-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks PF!! downloading now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

mine isn't going online either... I tried to update the carrier settings like we did for mms, but no success with that either. Going to try doing this again

--solution
    got it to work. I did the expert option and had the activate phone option checked. Rebuilt the fw without it checked and it works. I'm on at&t btw.
    Last edited by jimbodude; 10-02-2009 at 05:10 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Help! I followed all the steps and when I tried to restore from a custom IPSW and I got this (attached screen shot)
    I am running itunes 9.1 and 10.6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [GUIDE] Jailbreak 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.1.3-screen-shot-2009-10-02-6.59.07-pm.png  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVD85 View Post
    I am getting an error code 1600? anyone have any ideas? I already tried to delete everything out of ~/Library/iTunes/”Device Support” but nothing was there.
    Same WTF guys?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is what happens when I follow this guide.

iPhone? More like MyPhone yoTelefonoCuatro's Avatar
    Thanks

looks like there are way too many problems...

i didnt check to hacktivate it cause im on at&t as well..

im downgrading back to 01...
    i think im better off there till all this is fixed.

*thanks again saurik!*
    yoTelefonoTresG, now introducing...
    the new..
    yoTelefonoCuatro.

say "Amen Brotha!" or "thanks a bunch!", click that "Thanks!" button!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to yoTelefonoCuatro For This Useful Post:

kmamedov (10-14-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SVD85 View Post
    I had a similar (if not the same) error code.
    If you are using a Mac Air to do the upgrade you need to connect the iPhone to your Mac via a POWERED USB HUB.
    That helps.

Mike

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

not working

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampmike View Post
    I had a similar (if not the same) error code.
    If you are using a Mac Air to do the upgrade you need to connect the iPhone to your Mac via a POWERED USB HUB.
    That helps.

Mike
    I'm on a macbook pro

Thanks

No I have a 32 GB ipod touch 2g and im running itunes 9.1 and 10.6. I am coming from pwned 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Bleezy View Post
    This is what happens when I follow this guide.

Same goes for you, try putting a POWERED USB HUB between your iPhone and your Mac. That will do it. It did in my case....
    Mike

Thanks

Ok I am doing some research and I have discovered a similar problem happened with 2.0. Apparently it says we should ensure its in "recovery mode" instead of DFU. I didnt know there was a difference. anyone know how to go from DFU to recovery?