Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: CNN Mobile: Feature-rich, Interactive, and Not Free

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default CNN Mobile: Feature-rich, Interactive, and Not Free

image via CNN

CNN.com released its CNN Mobile iPhone app on Tuesday, with a number of slick features its competitors don't have... including a $1.99 price tag.

Other news outlets like The New York Times, France24, the Associated Press, and NPR have had free apps out for some time. CNN is taking something of a risk in making its offering a non-free download, but obviously hopes its feature set makes it attractive enough.

The free (with ads) content includes both video on demand and live breaking news reports, with push notifications when live newscasts are available. The text-based news is fairly standard, with a photo and headline/subhead for each story. Rotate the phone to landscape orientation, though, and you get a CoverFlow-style photo flow that you can navigate to find the story you're interested in.

CNN Mobile makes some interesting steps in the direction of social media, with the capability to forward news stories to Facebook, Twitter and SMS. And the ability to upload photos or video (3GS only) directly to CNN's iReport site from the iPhone holds out the possibility of improving "citizen journalism," with millions of iPhone users worldwide potentially able to report on breaking events as they occur.

For hardcore news junkies, and especially people interested in reporting their own news, the CNN Mobile app may be well worth the (minimal) price tag. There are, however, a plethora of free options out there for just reading the news. This app, though, does raise the bar for interactivity, and it'll be interesting to see if any of the free news apps follow suit.

I use CNN RSS to just read the news but this one looks very nice though not sure if I will get it. I know it's only $1.99...why am I so cheap

Thanks

That's look really cool. I may have to check it out.

I just Bought it its really good , But the FLAW is it doesnt supports video formats mean , its does not plays CNN videos

The app is getting hurt with appstore reviews all because of the ads. Looks nice...I will more than likely pick this one up later. Thanks!
    Is my girlfriend the only one that gets mad at me because I spend too much time with my iPhone?

Looks nice, but not for $2. I don't need to pay to read the small amount of news I care about.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

i bought it. it is worth the $1.99
    it works very well, i have one question that i would like answered though;
    WHY oh WHY, can i watch a CNN video stream over 3G with this app, but my Slingplayer cannot tune into CNN over 3G????? come on AT&T and Apple....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

no thanks. I don't want their agenda on my phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't download that app even if they paid me to do it! CNN is one of the most far left liberal leaning media outlets in America. The whole company is pathetic! The reason their charging $1.99 for the app is because their ratings are so low they need to make money somewhere.

Thanks

^ +1

^its always a conspiracy with conservatives isn't it? then again i have no idea as all ive seen for the last 8 years is CNN international which is nothing like the American version... oh to not be living in that fish bowl.

Thanks

The OP forgot to mention one of the main features of the CNN app, the Obama worship zone. 24/7 access to video, pictures, and sound clips of America's biggest celebrity.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

America?? who is a bigger celeb than the leader of the most powerful country in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    I wouldn't download that app even if they paid me to do it! CNN is one of the most far left liberal leaning media outlets in America. The whole company is pathetic! The reason their charging $1.99 for the app is because their ratings are so low they need to make money somewhere.
    I really could not have said it any better myself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    The OP forgot to mention one of the main features of the CNN app, the Obama worship zone. 24/7 access to video, pictures, and sound clips of America's biggest celebrity.
    Bump - and you better watch out - the secret service told me how you voted on that Facebook poll!

Thanks again for getting me to call ATT Saturday morning to fix my MMS!

I'm a little surprised that there is no sports tab with this app or did I just miss it??? Not that I would get my sports from here anyway, but why not include it?
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

Thanks

oooooohhhhhhh nooooesssss

Congrats on the MMS

Thanks

I bought this app I like it no more safari bookmark.. it's only 2bucks..it's all good..money comes and go will never have it all..I don't get people..it's only 2 bucks

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

I got the app because CNN is on their game when it come to getting breaking news. If I can spend 4.99 on a game I can spend 1.99 when it comes to news that may effect where I live, DC. As for political agenda, who cares they all, FOX as well play to their core listeners. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Trust..FOX News is banned from my TV. But I will tune in to their good drama shows during prime time, like HOUSE!
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast