+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vodafone to Sell iPhones in UK, Éire

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Right on the heels of the announcement that French carrier Orange would be selling the iPhone in the United Kingdom comes an announcement that Vodafone will also be selling the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Vodafone to Sell iPhones in UK, Éire

Right on the heels of the announcement that French carrier Orange would be selling the iPhone in the United Kingdom comes an announcement that Vodafone will also be selling the device in the UK and Ireland. After two years of an exclusive arrangement between Apple and Telefonica's O2, the dual announcements represent a sea change in the British iPhone business.

Vodafone said their arrangement will begin in 2010.
    "Beginning today, Vodafone UK and Vodafone Ireland customers can register their interest in iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS at Vodafone - Mobile Phones, Mobile Internet, Broadband & Email and http://www.vodafone.ie/iphone respectively. Pricing, tariffs and availability information will be announced locally in the future.
    This deal increases the number of countries where Vodafone sells the iPhone to 13, including Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Italy, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey. France Telecom's Orange, who announced yesterday that they had reached an agreement to break O2's exclusivity in Britain by the end of this year, sells the iPhone in a total of 28 countries and territories, including some of Vodafone's markets.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Anyone remember that MMI post about official apple unlock. Well I think it is possible to happen!!! First the original O2 and now Orange (T-Mobile) now Vodafone!!! Next it will be 3 (3G Only network that uses Orange for 2G and it's own network for 3G) and it will be a fully unlocked iPhone. (Apart from small carriers that use one of these and just brand it their own e.g. Virgin)

I found a way to get to Vodafone UK home at it is under construction and made a link to it. Click HERE

YAY FIRST TO POST!!!
    Last edited by hackint0uch; 09-29-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added Link to Vodafone UK Home as it is under construction.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Interesting to read the paragraph at the end,the warning from Apple. Will i phone users in the UK need to unlock the i phone anymore because it will now be avaiable on Orange and Vodafone unless you wish to customise the device with a jailbreak?
    BBC NEWS | Technology | Vodafone enters UK iPhone market

Thanks
    will be interesting to see if Apple let Vodafone butcher the iPhone firmware with their Live! crap.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madrich's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Soooooooooooo
    So, can it be long before it happens here in the U.S.A!

Thanks

hopefully apple can wait up and sell the iphone to other carriers aswell.
    [SIhttp://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2631011&dateline=1251 526432GPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

This surprises me, I didn't think Vodafone would get it.
    I wonder if the phones will be sold unlocked or locked to their specific networks?
    The reason this can happen in the UK (or in most other countries in the world except the USA) is because of standards - only the lock codes need to be changed for the iPhone to be used on any European network. No changes to the hardware are necessary.
    In the USA hardware changes would be necessary, minor for T-Mobile who's 3G network couldn't cope with the demand of iPhones and major for Verizon who's network could.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simes6600 View Post
    will be interesting to see if Apple let Vodafone butcher the iPhone firmware with their Live! crap.
    Wont happen apple wont let them thank god , i work for vodafone in the uk and this has been confirmed this morning and already pre registered all 3 of my numbers for an upgrade

Thanks

Good to see! Hopefully this will keep the demand up, but stop launch days from being so crazy!

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    This surprises me, I didn't think Vodafone would get it.
    I wonder if the phones will be sold unlocked or locked to their specific networks?
    The reason this can happen in the UK (or in most other countries in the world except the USA) is because of standards - only the lock codes need to be changed for the iPhone to be used on any European network. No changes to the hardware are necessary.
    In the USA hardware changes would be necessary, minor for T-Mobile who's 3G network couldn't cope with the demand of iPhones and major for Verizon who's network could.
    Does this mean every iPhone i sell i can unlock with the codes i get from my system? hmmmm sounds like i could have some fun with this hopefully

Green Apple
    Thanks

when t-mobile combine with orange both that network will be selling the iphone but also virgin mobile uses t-mobile cell towers so the iphone would be available on pretty much every network except 3...demand for the unlock in the UK wont be much. also going back to what was said before...please dont any networks brand there trash on the iphone esp vodafone :@

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillstar12 View Post
    Does this mean every iPhone i sell i can unlock with the codes i get from my system? hmmmm sounds like i could have some fun with this hopefully
    It very much depends. O2 can not unlock the iPhone - what makes you think Voda will be able too?

It might change when it's on different networks or they might just keep them locked to their specific networks.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

this could go two different directions. almost universal unlock or further restriction due to other carriers not wanting to give up "their" hardware...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

My guess is that the phones will be locked to the carrier - and that will be driven by Apple.
    In the UK Orange and T-Mobile usually lock their phones but O2 and Voda don't.

Thanks

This is good news, my contract up in 3 months now I can hustle o2 for a better deal or just switch

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

I want stockkk