+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GMail Push Using Google Sync

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Because of the battery drain, I wish there was a quick way (sbsettings toggle) to turn on/off Gmail push! I also use my iphone as an alarm at night so
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Because of the battery drain, I wish there was a quick way (sbsettings toggle) to turn on/off Gmail push!

I also use my iphone as an alarm at night so having push notifications in the middle of the night was not working too well for me... hehehe

Thanks

Mine doesn't seem to like to sync anything above 3 days. And when I set it to anything above 3 days, I get error messages and it won't sync at all. Usually the message is "Cannot Get Mail The connection to the server failed."

Anybody else have this issue and find a resolution for it?
    Is my girlfriend the only one that gets mad at me because I spend too much time with my iPhone?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lecram25 View Post
    Anyway to sync my current calendar events from my iPhone to Google calendars?

Also, any idea why mail that I delete from the newly-created Google Sync account doesn't go into the "Trash" (nor does it show up in the trash at gmail.com)? The only way to find it is through "All Mail" (PITA).

While I understand that I deleted the mail, I never truly delete any mail that is in my trash as I always like the idea that I can dig through it again at a later stage.
    Google set this up on purpose. What sets Gmail apart from all the other mail services is the concept of archiving mail, not deleting it. So when they created their exchange server they set up the delete function to actually move the mail into All Mail, essentially archiving it. It's written in their blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosreef View Post
    Because of the battery drain, I wish there was a quick way (sbsettings toggle) to turn on/off Gmail push!

I also use my iphone as an alarm at night so having push notifications in the middle of the night was not working too well for me... hehehe
    There is an SBS toggle for Push Mail. It will turn off the push function for mail and it will revert to whatever fetch setting is applied. When using the push function the mail app just continuously runs in the background. Using this toggle works because after applied, it won't run in the background anymore!

On a side note about battery life, I'm on 3.1 with my 3G and I haven't really noticed a big difference with my battery using Gmail's new push solution. However, I have done a couple tweaks on my phone using these two tutorials:

Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

[LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

While I have definitely seen less memory usage, I have also noticed a much more stable battery life and it isn't dying so quickly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    You can use Sync-in-a-Blink to sync your contacts and calendar events to Google before setting up your Exchange account. That way you won't lose anything.
    Thanks, I'll try it when I get a chance.

From Google Sync: Known Limitations:

*Actions in Gmail
    When using Google Sync, certain actions in Gmail may have different behavior than you're used to. For instance, if you "delete" a message from your Inbox, this will actually archive the message. Check out our complete list of how actions taken on your device will affect your Gmail interface.
    I guess that answers my "trash" question.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

If push notifications are bothering at night, flip your phone to silent. The alarm app is still audible, even in silent mode.

Thanks

" My friends' Google pictures were also imported with their contact info, which was kind of cool (but of questionable usefulness: I know what my friends look like!) "

if you know what they look like .. and don't think they're useful .. why the hell are you adding their pictures in the first place ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe ill get a gmail account just to play with this... nah...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lecram25 View Post
    Any way to sync my current calendar events from my iPhone to Google calendars?
    When you add a new event on your iPhone, the second-to-last detail you can edit is the calendar. By default it's just your iPhone's calendar, but if you select it it gives you the option to add that event to any of your Google calendars (at least the ones that you sync with). Hope this helps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imagineThiss's Avatar
    Thanks

this definitely drains the hell out of my battery... my phone now drains just in stand-by... if i think about using my phone at the same time.. i am now only able to use my phone at half of what i use to be able to maybe even less... Ahhh think im gonna ditch the push option but i love it.. i dunno fetch wasn't so bad with elert set up.. it was semi fetch

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sphangman View Post
    " My friends' Google pictures were also imported with their contact info, which was kind of cool (but of questionable usefulness: I know what my friends look like!) "

if you know what they look like .. and don't think they're useful .. why the hell are you adding their pictures in the first place ?
    If said friends also have a Google account and they've bothered to fill up their profile (with picture) then when you add them as a contact/friend Google pulls the picture from their profile to your contact info.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have been loving the new push. It pushes to my phone faster than the web site does.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord ryttingham View Post
    When you add a new event on your iPhone, the second-to-last detail you can edit is the calendar. By default it's just your iPhone's calendar, but if you select it it gives you the option to add that event to any of your Google calendars (at least the ones that you sync with). Hope this helps.
    Okay, I've seen the option, but what I would like is to take my existing calendar events and sync them to/with Google.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

You can do that with sync-in-a-blink or GooSync.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thank you for the replies.

I ended up syncing with iTunes (Info -> Calendars -> Sync calendars with: Outlook), sorting out my multiple calendars, exporting to a CSV, and then finally importing to Google Calendar.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anyone having problems with resizing images or erasing custom ringtones when using google sync? Any way to fix this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

ive done too much to simplify things now
    i just have my gmail forwarded to my mobile me which is set to push
    though MMS cut down my email use dramatically :-p

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Is gmail push slow today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolftamer View Post
    I have been loving the new push. It pushes to my phone faster than the web site does.
    Is the push slow today? it takes more than 10 mins for gmails to be pushed on my iphone.
    Used to be a lot faster on my old 2G almost within a min or so

Today i got the brand new 3G and its a lot slower..

Is it just a coincidence or 3G is worse than the old Edge for gmail push??

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12