Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPhone Goes Orange

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default The iPhone Goes Orange

Image via independent.co.uk

Word is out Monday morning that France Telecom's Orange will begin marketing Apple's iPhone throughout Great Britain before the end of the year. The roll out will follow the expiration of the exclusive contract held by Telefonica's O2.

From this morning's Wall Street Journal:

Although an exact date for the launch wasn't released, an Orange spokesman said the iPhone would be available on its network by Christmas. It will sell both the original iPhone 3G model and the latest iPhone 3GS version, which was launched in June with faster connectivity and added features. No details of Orange's pricing or tariffs were released.
    As we wake up to the news from Orange today, we can finally put to rest all the rumors and speculations that had many believing for months that Orange was trying to forcefully interject itself or "weasel its way into" the exclusive agreement that 02 has had with Apple regarding the iPhone since 2007.

Luckily for Orange, they now have 02's foundation of growth to build upon. For now, Orange will only say that it plans to sell the iPhone in all Orange direct channels including Orange shops, the Orange webshop and Orange telesales channels.

O2's exclusive contract with Apple has helped the company boost sales and extend its lead as the largest U.K. mobile network despite the recession.
    Putting yet another rumor to rest, the announcement from Orange also tells us that Vodafone Group PLC, the second biggest operator in the U.K., won't be a factor in the iPhone's immediate future. Over the last few months, some on the chain of command at Vodafone had hinted at the company's interest in selling the iPhone, as the WSJ article indicates.

Only a few weeks ago, Orange also announced plans to merge its network with T-Mobile. The goal? To ultimately surpass 02 as the market leader in the UK.

For now, O2 will continue to sell the iPhone across the pond, in addition to the eagerly anticipated iPhone competitor the Palm Pre.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

petterloco1 (09-28-2009)

Now only if Tmobile or Verizon could convince Apple to share in the US

does this mean, o2 will be legally obliged to unlock our iphones to switch to other networks?? I really hope so..

I hope thats exactly what it means. I've only had an 3GS 3 weeks, but for 2 of that following a crash its been on a shelf as I bought in to use with my work provided Orange sim and as such thanks to the forced 3.1 update which I've not taken up yet (its still technically 3.0.1 but non-booting), its been useless to me.

Any one any idea if I choose to upgrade to 3.1 even with what that would mean with regarded to the baseband update, if the SIM would one day suddenly work?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moi1970 View Post
    I hope thats exactly what it means. I've only had an 3GS 3 weeks, but for 2 of that following a crash its been on a shelf as I bought in to use with my work provided Orange sim and as such thanks to the forced 3.1 update which I've not taken up yet (its still technically 3.0.1 but non-booting), its been useless to me.

Any one any idea if I choose to upgrade to 3.1 even with what that would mean with regarded to the baseband update, if the SIM would one day suddenly work?
    There is a way to restore to 3.0.1 but you need to have some files backed up by Cydia on Sauriks server. If you update the baseband, there never may be an unlock for that baseband but I think there will be anyway, imo.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Orange is a weird name for a wireless service provider.

best ting to do is call apple and tell them that you want the phone replaced because its brand new and it failed and they will swap that for you i done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by idrank2muchmilk View Post
    Now only if Tmobile or Verizon could convince Apple to share in the US
    that would be awesome...the android phones that t-mobile have released...pretty much suck at least IMHO
    Member at HoFo - "Rrazr-X7"

Hmm...if Orange does in fact merge with Tmo, then maybe we can use the British iPhone in the US with Tmobie, without ultrasn0w that is.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

^ That's not going to work, it would be locked to T-Mobile UK just as the Belgium/Austrian/German ones are locked to T-Mob in their respective countries - none of them will work on T in the USA either.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Stop crushing my dreams Confy!!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Move to Britain - then you can have decent 3G speeds on the iPhone with T-Mobile
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Sweet! Do you have a room for me?

Of course!

would these phones work with tmobiles 3g network frequencies?

Thanks

I think it would be cool if this info leads to a unlock to share with tmo and AT&T.

Not T-Mobile in the USA, but T-Mobile in Europe use standard frequencies.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

The choke-hold on the market tightens some more...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Apples and Oranges working together?
    its like a fruit salad

All you need to add to the mix is a pwnapple....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast