+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will the FCC Divorce AT&T from Apple?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
T-Mobile sidekick is strictly T-Mobile, i dont hear the fcc ******** about that. Sounds like somebody is jelous that they cant get the iphone,nothing more.Might i add verizon is exclusive
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

T-Mobile sidekick is strictly T-Mobile, i dont hear the fcc ******** about that. Sounds like somebody is jelous that they cant get the iphone,nothing more.Might i add verizon is exclusive with many LG phones like the voyager and chocolate.

Thanks

The Sidekick can be unlocked by the carrier if you pay them to. The iPhone can not.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inzandity View Post
    "So the FCC won't let me be
    or let me be me, so let me see
    They try to shut me down on AT&T...."

so anyways... No I definitely don't agree with the FCC getting involved, because there are plenty of devices that are specific to carriers... Look at the palm pre for instance
    Except that the Palm Pre will not always be exclusive. Verizon is getting the Pre as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sprint's exclusive Pre contract is significantly shorter than AT&T's with the iPhone. Isn't it six months or a year or something?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord ryttingham View Post
    Except that the Palm Pre will not always be exclusive. Verizon is getting the Pre as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sprint's exclusive Pre contract is significantly shorter than AT&T's with the iPhone. Isn't it six months or a year or something?
    If news are to be believed, there's going to be a GSM version of the Pre coming out in a couple of months on the NA market so either ATT or T-Mobile might be getting it soon.

EDIT: The GSM version of the Pre already exists and has been showcased around Europe.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord ryttingham View Post
    The Pre will not be on Verizon. Verizon did the same thing as they did with the iPhone. Palm and Apple wanted more control of their devices, and Verizon won't give it to them.

Say bye bye to subsidization in most cases if this goes through. This is be the end of exclusivity on all carriers, and a lot of carriers will think "Why should we subsidize a phone? People will pay the ETF and leave..." "Might as well let them buy them outright in the beginning..."

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

They made a GSM Pre???????? Impossible, especially since Apple can't make a CDMA iPhone! You know, experts have weighed in heavily on that and a CDMA iPhone is impossible, Palm must be crazy to attempt such madness.

/ok
    This is better for everyone and that's Apple included, Volume will trump lower profits made per handset if that even is the case. It might not be good for AT&T if people end their contracts early but the people that stay will enjoy a network that isn't overrun by iPhones

Lovely

Not

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post

Because of all this.. I absolutely HATE AT&T, just hate them. It's time for a change, seriously.
    go whine to apple, they are the ones who control the locking and unlocking, not ATT. no wonder they keep telling you they can't...
    Really?

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

This is just getting old....
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Every phone AT&T sells can be unlocked, just by calling AT&T. Excluding the iPhone. This should be illegal. The iPhone is no different. It is a subsidized phone just like the rest. If any thing AT&T & Apple should be required to unlock the iPhone.
    I agree to a 2yr contract, pay my fees, the phone is mine to do with as I please. At any time, whether I end the contract early or not, I should be able to use that device any way I see fit. The contract is for me to keep service with them. No where does it say I have to use the phone I bought for the term of the contract.
    The US carriers are screwing the consumers & we keep letting them.
    couldn't have said it better!

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    I don't see how the FCC can force Apple to sell the iPhone on other carriers. By selling the iPhone on AT&T alone, Apple makes a higher profit on each phone. If they were to sell on another carrier, neither carrier would pay as high of a subsidy, and Apple would make less. Unless the FCC is willing to pay the difference, that's not fair.

And even if Apple would make the same profit, how can you force a company to sell their devices to someone else? If you own a store, you have the right not to deny customers. Why can't Apple deny other carriers?
    That's the point of competition to give the consumer a lower price. When AT&T was the only phone company they could jack the price up as high as they wanted and because AT&T was the exclusive phone company no one could say ****. That is why we have these laws and that is why AT&T was broken into multiple companies many years ago. Apple doesn't have the right to monopolize off a exclusive deal with AT&T (which in turn has AT&T monopolize the iPhone industry which makes sense because all AT&T has done since it has started was try and gain back the original power it held)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All i'm hearing is a bunch of whining, at... was the only company smart enough to sign with Apple for this exclusive phone at the time, V Dub declined it and the other carriers didn't have the backing needed for the launch of the phone. If the phone sucked and wasn't as popular nobody would be complaining. "So Microsoft and the Xbox have exclusive rights to Gears of War and I think that's unfair, FCC you must do something!!" <-- Isn't that the same thing?!? It's just how it works... If everyone wants their phones sold non subsidized then don't complain when the phones are sold at $300-$1000... And the carriers raise the price of service, yeah good luck affording anything like that with this current economy, FCC MYOB...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thx for share masta

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eremeya View Post
    The FCC shouldn't regulate the exclusive deals between Handset makers and the carriers but maybe should institute a mandatory unlock of the exclusive handset after a set period of time, at the end of the subscribers contract, etc.
    i completely agree with that!!! Or even if the subscriber terminates the contract prior to the end date.

Quote Originally Posted by ibby03 View Post
    All i'm hearing is a bunch of whining, at... was the only company smart enough to sign with Apple for this exclusive phone at the time, V Dub declined it and the other carriers didn't have the backing needed for the launch of the phone. If the phone sucked and wasn't as popular nobody would be complaining. "So Microsoft and the Xbox have exclusive rights to Gears of War and I think that's unfair, FCC you must do something!!" <-- Isn't that the same thing?!? It's just how it works... If everyone wants their phones sold non subsidized then don't complain when the phones are sold at $300-$1000... And the carriers raise the price of service, yeah good luck affording anything like that with this current economy, FCC MYOB...
    Amen!
    Last edited by hollow0; 09-30-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

FWIW, even when supporting net neutrality, AT&T has always said that they want exemption of net neutrality rules for wireless carriers. IOW, it means less traffic shaping for AT&T U-verse/DSL Internet service and more traffic shaping (in the name of QoS) for AT&T Wireless.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    This is getting very interesting...
    no doubt

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12