Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Goes After Google Again

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default AT&T Goes After Google Again

Image via Dvice

While most iPhone users were too distracted by their long-awaited MMS service on Friday to even notice, AT&T went after Google once again yesterday.

In a letter to the FCC, AT&T accused Google of violating the U.S. Federal Communications Commission's net neutrality rules.
    Apple asked federal regulators to stop Google Inc.ís voice application from "improperly" blocking telephone calls to some rural areas.

Saying that the FCC should ďorder Google to play by the same rules as its competitors,Ē AT&T claimed that Google saves substantial sums of money by blocking calls - a practice traditional carriers are not prohibited to employ.

According to the report by Reuters:
    The FCC in 2007 prohibited traditional carriers from blocking calls because it said the practice might degrade the reliability of telecommunications networks.
    The letter by AT&T comes as the FCC continues investigating why Apple didnít approve the Google Voice app for the iPhone, which uses AT&T as its sole wireless carrier in the US. Apple, however, says itís "still considering the application."

Only hours after the complaint was filed by AT&T in a highly detailed, nuanced, border-line nitpicky fashion, Google's legal counsel responded to the accusations.

In a blog entry on Friday, Google acknowledged that Google Voice restricts some calls to those areas but said it isn't bound by the laws that force traditional carriers to connect those calls. Google Voice isn't intended to be a replacement for traditional phone service and requires a wired or wireless line from an operator
    With the recent war of words that has taken place between these warring factions, it has become increasingly difficult to separate the serious from the supercilious. The discerning insight, however, at Free Press - a group that has pushed for "stronger net neutrality protections" - told Reuters that the rules AT&T alludes to "apply only to Internet access providers and not to applications such as Google Voice."

AT&T's letter "appears to be a political stunt to distract attention from the important work the FCC has begun on Network Neutrality," Free Press said in a statement.

When this first started i said why restrict it theres already google earth in appstore, so there is obviously no company war, and with this new information it shows that apple was only protecting its customers.

Thanks
    I just want to know why Apple doesn't let Google have their voice .

Hit "Thanks" if I helped

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Whoa, whoa, whoa, now any of us "adults" here clearly remember AT&T lobbying to only serve certain areas and NOT serving rural areas to save money. They ended up losing the lawsuits and having to cover all areas even though they were trying not to do it. This was just last year people. Not cell service, actual home service. Look it up.

This is AT&T crying in their bucket because they were regulated as HOME service, not cell service. Google is also not a phone company and AT&T is grabbing at straws.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

I didn't read the story but I have to say that is an awesome graphic X-D.

Thanks

these are the days of our lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

why can't we all just get along?
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks

Always about the money.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, now any of us "adults" here clearly remember AT&T lobbying to only serve certain areas and NOT serving rural areas to save money. They ended up losing the lawsuits and having to cover all areas even though they were trying not to do it. This was just last year people. Not cell service, actual home service. Look it up.

This is AT&T crying in their bucket because they were regulated as HOME service, not cell service. Google is also not a phone company and AT&T is grabbing at straws.
    Great point and thanks for refreshing our memories one1! I can't agree with you more!

Love the graphic for this thread also! Its awesome!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 09-26-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: love the graphic!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lol. There's also something else here. AT&T charges for their service and Google doesn't. AT&T is a phone and internet company and whatever else. Google does advertising and other jazz that are free. Yeah.

If it's free , it's for me !

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I LOL'd at that graphic.

I'm sure that's EXACTLY how AT&T feel towards Google haha

-Ninja

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

The power struggle continues
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks