Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T is on Pins and Needles over MMS Launch

I just want to see if these $18 Billion at&t is investing in their network will be seen in action tomorrow.

because if they have been putting the money to good use, they shouldn't have any problems. But if their network crashes, than i guess their not investing enough.

I don't have at&t text i use textfree it works just as good and its unlimeted, i don't think we should be paying at&t $20 for texting, and the more people that realize that and stop paying at&t the faster they will reduce their prices.

But i barely text so i could careless about mms.

but for the rest of you MMSers, enjoy your day!!! its been a long time coming guys!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

quick question.. I live in Northeast Louisiana (Monroe) we have NO 3G !!
    Will MMS work without 3G ??
    I'm saying NO

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Image via LarryFire

Multiple reports have been published in the last few hours suggesting that AT&T is anything but calm, cool, and collected going into Friday's introduction of MMS for the iPhone.

According to Apple Insider, preliminary tests have indicated a great strain on the company's MMS servers. This "strain" is believed to have been responsible for a "test outage" yesterday. So anxious are the people at AT&T that the company will use every minute between today and tomorrow to shore up capacity to a greater extent than current measures have already provided.

Sources close to the project are estimating that traffic on AT&T's wireless network could prove in excess of 40% higher tomorrow as iPhone users jump head first into the service they feel is both long overdue and their birth right as iPhone owners.

But, at least for now, everything is on track and on schedule for the MMS launch tomorrow morning. AT&T even updated its Facebook page to alleviate concerns that further delays lie ahead. "MMS Update: We know you’ve been eager for this service so we wanted to offer a quick update on the launch plans for MMS on Friday, Sept. 25," said the message. "Late morning, Pacific Time, on Friday, the new carrier settings update enabling MMS should be live and ready to download through iTunes. We’ll provide the steps and all of the details you need right here at that time."

We first learned that September 25th would be the "go date" this past July, when AT&T said that MMS features would finally come to the iPhone. Now the moment of truth is upon us.

Tomorrow should be interesting.
    Is Working For Me i Have at&t

Like I said in the other thread, there is no network in the world that can handle the abuse AT&T will receive tomorrow. One thing people need to realize is that "AT&T" isn't one uniform network. It's literally a web of dozens of networks from the number of companies it once was.

Cellphone and data infrastructure in the US is basically a logistic and financial nightmare. Sure, they might be greedy with some of their pricing, but believe they're not sitting aroun doing nothing. The iPhone is a network killer all on it's own. IPhone users alone account for the majority of AT&T's data usage.

You guys need to be patient and know that as ridiculous as it sounds, AT&T is really trying to keep us happy.

Quote Originally Posted by thinknoffcenter View Post
    this service should have been ready long ago, but i'm glad its finally coming. tho knowing at&t, the network will become crippled by 1 pm eastern time, and when i call customer service to complain about it (only cause i'm curious to see who they will blame i.e. iphone users) i can snap right back telling them no, it's at&t's fault for being last to the party seeing as though they had since the announcement of 3.0 back at the begining of the year to prepare "the nations fastest 3g network" for such an event. they obviously know the bandwidth and data the iphone users take up (hell i use well over 650 mb a month) so they should have had an idea of what this will do to thier mms servers, so i will accept no excuse except at&t saying that they are stupid and unprepared.
    This is an absolutely idiotic thing to do and you must be a terrible human being in general. Get off your high horse
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 09-24-2009 at 09:06 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

niqolas619 (09-24-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by eremeya View Post
    AT&T is far from the biggest carrier in the world (77,000,000 subscribers). The three main Chinese carriers are as big or bigger (China Mobile: 500,000,000 China Unicom: 140,000,000 China Telecom: 78,000,000) Also I hear that Verizon is bigger (by a few million) and then there are carriers in Inda at least one of which is bigger.

The numbers that I gave are not current so there may be a little fluctuation but they are recent enough to give a good idea as to where AT&T stands.
    Really? I thought AT&T was bigger tha that. Thanks for the info.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you were to take all of the iPhones on AT&T and throw them onto ANY other US carrier it would cripple them! Everyone needs to think a bit more critically about things before starting the blame game.

Quote Originally Posted by DontBeJealous View Post
    Really? I thought AT&T was bigger tha that. Thanks for the info.
    Verizon > ATT > Sprint > T-Mobile if you look at number of costumers only. And even then ATT is 2nd by about 5-6 million costumers, and was first until Verizon bought Alltell. ATT/T-Mobile are GSM, Verizon/Sprint are CDMA.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Maybe if the iPhone was transferred to another network they would have problems -initially. However AT&T has had time to improve their network to handle the load. They can't dance fast enough. Anything else about other carriers is purely speculation and is totally irrelevant.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    nothing here in NJ but hell, my 3G data was down all day yesterday. Wonder if this is why, it's been flakey for 3 days.
    I live near Trenton & can receive MMS, but if I send it, they get a ? on their end.

MMS working in Cincinnati, OH as of 10:30am.

Few questions:

1. Does ATT MMS work on first generation (2G) iPhone?
    2. It mentions carrier update - is it safe to do this update and not worry about your device becoming un-jailbroken?
    3. Do you have to have 3.1 for this update to work, or can this feature work on 3.0?

do we have to download an app to MMS?
    How does it work?
    3GS Voice control does not understand me!
    I said "Play Beck" not "Snack That"!

Quote Originally Posted by EmoMicah View Post
    do we have to download an app to MMS?
    How does it work?
    No. Tomorrow in the late morning you will get a carrier update through iTunes. That will enable it on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by codeseven View Post
    Few questions:

1. Does ATT MMS work on first generation (2G) iPhone?
    2. It mentions carrier update - is it safe to do this update and not worry about your device becoming un-jailbroken?
    3. Do you have to have 3.1 for this update to work, or can this feature work on 3.0?
    No MMS will not work on the 2g it isnt a supported feature and as far as your device being unjailbroken don't worry the update is only for your carrier settings and my MMS works just fine on 3.0.1 so having 3.1 isnt necessary

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I think At&t is worried a little.... they might be thinking if everyone starts MMS at the same time then their servers might crash.... which could happen...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    nothing here in NJ but hell, my 3G data was down all day yesterday. Wonder if this is why, it's been flakey for 3 days.
    ME TOO! I was wondering why my internet was so sketchy, this is probably the reason. Although, i have a 3GS, i doubt it makes a difference.

Thanks

I just updated and unlocked 3.1 yesterday and your telling me I will have to update to possibly 3.2 tommorow?

I'm going to disregard all of the annoying posts about how people have had MMS working for months.... and simply state that tomorrow should be interesting! Looking forward for all iPhone owners to finally have MMS. ;-)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    I just updated and unlocked 3.1 yesterday and your telling me I will have to update to possibly 3.2 tommorow?
    No...a carrier update is just to update your carrier settings. It will now display the the camera icon and the extra menu in the network settings.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast