+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Netflix Dragging Feet on Streaming to the iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
image via forcatech.com In what could very well be another nail in the coffin for your local video rental store, Netflix is continuing to search for new and faster ways
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Netflix Dragging Feet on Streaming to the iPhone

image via forcatech.com

In what could very well be another nail in the coffin for your local video rental store, Netflix is continuing to search for new and faster ways of delivering the films and entertainment that we love.

In a recent interview with Reuters, as chronicled on CNET, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says that he hopes to introduce video-streaming service to the iPhone. Although we've heard this claim before, it's a considerably more serious tone from the Netflix chief, as the company seems poised to not only roll out new plans to bring its service to the iPhone, but also to Sony's PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii.

But, as Hastings points out, there is no immediate timetable for this development. And for this very reason, it's difficult for some (including myself) to get overly excited about the news.

For the sake of full disclosure, I will admit to being a Netflix subscriber. Moreover, I am a Netflix fanatic. So having this carrot dangled in font of me with no clear time frame as to when I can actually sink my teeth into it makes it impossible to give any substantial consideration to this "prospect" without growing incredibly restless in anticipation.

Hastings told Reuters that his hope is that Netflix's streaming service will eventually "be on all the game consoles, all the Blu-ray players, (and) all the Internet TVs." But as Hastings pointed out, his company has signed a deal with Microsoft to deliver Netflix streaming exclusively to the Xbox 360 in the video game space.
    Netflix getting all cozy with Microsoft is yet another reason to doubt that we'll see Netflix streamed to the iPhone in any modest period of time. So no matter what rumblings you may have heard about an exciting new Netflix app coming soon to the iPhone, unfortunately, that just isn't the case for now.

Despite rumors indicating that a Netflix app is already on its way to the App Store, Hastings would not give a timetable: "(With) movie watching, we are not focused on mobile yet, but (instead) on the TV, on Blu-ray, and on the video game consoles. We will get to mobile eventually, including the iPhone." While Netflix is likely to offer such a service on the iPhone and iPod Touch "over time," he said there is little chance of Netflix video streaming becoming available in the App Store "in the short term."
    Although Hastings says he doesn't believe that the recent and forthcoming wave of video store closures at Blockbuster will help his company, I can't really see it any other way. To me, Hastings sounds like a corporate chief who is yet to wholly trust the mobile realm for entertainment. In a world where Dan Brown's new book "The Lost Symbol" is actually selling better on the Kindle than in hardcover on Amazon.com, anyone who fails to jump as quickly as possible on the mobile bandwagon will soon find themselves in the competition's dust.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like what hulu said a year or so ago- still no app!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

as an over the road truck driver an app like this would be a great addition to the iPhone in my mind. I am frequently in areas where there is little or no tv available and being able to streem shows to my iPhone would greatly help to pass the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

I think this would be a great app if you traveled hopefully it will pull through
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

This would be something I would use daily...

Thanks

That would be a very cool app. I hope the app be free.

Thanks

Seems interesting.

Thanks

This reminds me of when we were waiting for the Slingbox app to come to the iphone . I would not mind trying this out myself and I am waiting patiently. NOW GIVE ME THAT DAMN CARROT !!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    That would be a very cool app. I hope the app be free.
    Considering you pay $12/month for the streaming, yeah I'm guessing the app will be free.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

dude this would be awesome. i've been a netflix custy for years now.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Thanks

Netflix does kick @$$ but my A.D.D. just kicks in when I travel.

With my iPhone and all that it can do I can't see myself sitting down (if traveling) and watching a full movie on it. Not the best experience because video playback even in HD has muted colors and black colors are not sharp on screen.

Now with the Zune HD I would be more willing to try a streaming app in HD. hint..hint..Apple....
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

iPhone? More like MyPhone A_SWELLGUY's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this would be a step in the right direction for apple and netfilx.. we all want a apple all in one device and from the looks of things we will have it shortly.....
    iPhone: 16gb 2g
    firmware: 2.2.1
    Operating system: osx

Thanks

This would be a great application for the iPhone, For sure though it won't be streaming on 3G but even with Wi-Fi would be great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

damn you netflix, i want iPhone vids on demand!
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

this has a lot of potential...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Green Apple
    Thanks

this could be the deal breaker for me to finally make the switch from free redbox dvds to netflix haha

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Just give it to us on other gaming systems already...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak? hotrod54chevy's Avatar
    Thanks
    if you can get your movies from a netflix app for you phone, i plan on running out and getting the cable to hook it up to your TV. This sounds like it could put those companies that make wireless boxes for netflix out of business if done properly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

now its just a waiting game

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So now there's a Netflix app for the ipad. Can one of you master developers hack that sucker to work on the iphone? please?