+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mint: A Great Way to Know How Much Money You Don't Have

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Gonna grab it now, draw a warm bath, and bleed out while i find out how myuch im not worth.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Gonna grab it now, draw a warm bath, and bleed out while i find out how myuch im not worth.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    It hasn't been hacked. In fact, it's been doing so well it was recently purchased/integreated into Intiut, makers of Quicken.
    They've had some security issues in the past and also internal issues with employee security. Regardless of if you believe it's safe, you're still giving your personal information over to another company that like any other, has employees that may do something unethical with your information. It happens all the time with various sites (Facebook being a recent one), why can't it happen on Mint.com?

=Happy Noodle Boy]It's no different than you yourself logging in to your bank website. All mint does is take that information and puts it in one place (mint themselves don't see/store your passwords)
    This is simply untrue. Employees at Mint.com have access to your account information if they want. Additionally it's not as safe as logging into your banks website. You're trusting them to make a secure connection to the banks site and if anything happens to your money, they aren't responsible for a thing, unlike logging into your banks site yourself.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you even bothered to read how Mint works or are you just ranting from your tin-foil covered basement using a HAM radio while leeching off a public library and swapping IP addresses every 5 minutes? From Mint's own FAQ:

Do you store my bank login information on your servers?
    Your bank login credentials are stored securely in a separate database using multi-layered hardware and software encryption. We only store the information needed to save you the trouble of updating, syncing or uploading financial information manually.

Am I at greater risk of someone stealing my identity by using your service?
    No, as Mint does not require any personally identifiable information for you to create an account. Mint only asks for the following:

* Email Address
    * Zip Code
    * Password

At no time do we ask you for information that would be required for a hacker to steal your identity, such as your full name, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, billing address.

Can Mint employees view my bank account numbers or credit card numbers?

Your bank account and credit card numbers are not sent to or stored by Mint.com. So this information can’t be seen by Mint employees.

If someone does manage to steal my Mint log in information, can they access my bank accounts and credit cards to make any transactions?

No, as Mint provides a strictly “read only” view of your transaction information. Your online banking user names and passwords are never displayed after you enter them during your first session.

So worst-care scenario that Mint is breached, people will know just how little money you actually have! Oh no! If anything, it'll mean they'll stop bothering you since we're all broke in this economy anyways.

Seriously, stop reading 1984 and embrace the information movement. Just keep a strong password (mine's 12345) and use common sense and you'll never have a problem with services like this.

PS: Mint can only read bank account information, it can't make transfers/withdrawals/deposits.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Great app, been using it since it first came out in the App store
    [IMG]http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/sundayduffer/modmyimirrormind.png[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

hah im actually scared of what this app would tell me
    ignorance is bliss

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12