Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Investigating iPhone 3.1 Battery Life Problem

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRockish View Post
    Mail, iPod, Phone, and Safari are all native applications and have always ran in the background, nothing new about that
    Until 3.0, mine have never run in the background, unless it was purposeful. If I launch the iPod and start playing music, it will continue after I lock the screen. mail will check for new messages if setup for it, but in manual mode, once you exit the app, it should be off. Especially if there is NO ACCOUNT SETUP.
    Safari, as far as I know, should never run in the background. What purpose does that serve? None.
    2of the 3 native apps can run in the background, but only if setup to do so. Otherwise they should shut down just like any other app on the phone. That's the way it worked before 3.0, and that is the way it should work now.

Thanks

hope this is fixed soon, ive been waiting for the devs to release a pc jailbreak but i might just have to wait longer cause of this, my battery goes quick enough on ****** work days that all i wanna do is play on my phone and hide somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbutta67 View Post
    thought i was the only one
    Same here. I've had a few weird issues... like trying to call somebody, only to get stuck on a black screen

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

phew I thought I was the only one too....I've had my screen freeze up on me before. I'll hit the lock button, and then my phone wont light back up if i hit home or lock again sometimes and i'll have to hard reboot the phone...not to mention my horrible horrible battery life. Even with 3G turned off, WiFi off, and push and location services off...its pretty bad. On a 3G too, not 3Gs.

Man, all I have to say is that my battery life is remarkably better but I attribute that more to having a fresh restore and being very careful with what Cydia apps I install than being on 3.1. Apparently the ActivateMMS2g tweak was also a huge battery hog and since that doesn't work on 3.1 I'm sitting with a pretty good battery life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iHawk View Post
    Until 3.0, mine have never run in the background, unless it was purposeful. If I launch the iPod and start playing music, it will continue after I lock the screen. mail will check for new messages if setup for it, but in manual mode, once you exit the app, it should be off. Especially if there is NO ACCOUNT SETUP.
    Safari, as far as I know, should never run in the background. What purpose does that serve? None.
    2of the 3 native apps can run in the background, but only if setup to do so. Otherwise they should shut down just like any other app on the phone. That's the way it worked before 3.0, and that is the way it should work now.
    I have to agree with iRockish on this. I'm still using 2.2 on my JB 3G and Mail, iPod, Phone, Safari... and Maps, all stay running in the background until I use Processes in SBSettings to kill them on purpose.

Has anyone tried doing a restore and setting up as a new phone instead of from backup?

This solved my battery issues on my 3G[S], it used to drain 20%^ in about 15min.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarekkkkk View Post
    i dont know about u guyz but my 2g is good so far thank you God and im gonna wait about 2 years until i finish my college and boom buy the newest iphone 4GT i just hope my iphone screen keep alive cz it has some weird gray lines increasing every day inside the screen i dont know what to do i asked someone to fixed he told me it will cost 175$ and im studying comunication engineering i can fixed my self i just dont want to open the iphone i will loose my original case quality plus i dont have any warranty well guyz just wish me luck its only 2 years
    is there a period in your keyboard??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iHawk View Post
    "One would hope that a fix, once found, will be incorporated into the release scheduled for September 25 that will enable MMS messaging on all iPhones. Complaints about short battery life began with release 3.0, and reached a crescendo with the current release."

Since updating originally to 3.0, then 3.0.1, and now 3.1, I have found that the following three native apps do not stop running when you exit them, this is causing at least a portion of the battery life problems:
    Mobile Mail, iPod, and Safari.
    I have sent in numerous "bug reports" to apple about this, hoping that it would have been addressed in the 3.1 release. Obviously it wasn't.
    This is what I have noticed: If I go into the mail app (and it doesn't matter if there is an account setup or not) and then exit, I can set the phone down and come back 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days later, and open Free memory app, and guess what is STILL RUNNING? That's right, the mail app. It continues to run in the background. This is a programing problem. And before anyone says "Turn Push off", it is off, and at one point it was off, I had removed all mail accounts, rebooted, opened the mail app to the setup screen and exited. It still continued to run in the background till I manually killed it.
    This is also the same problem with the iPod function, and to a lesser degree, safari. My free memory app will kill safari, but it has trouble with killing the iPod, and will never close the mail app. Frequently I have to open Free Memory and the available RAM is around 1.5- 5.0 MB free. This was not the case before 3.0.

With the release of 3.1, and the large number of 3G owners complaining about phones freezing up with dark screens, my only guess is that the phone is crashing because it's running out of available memory, especially if 2 or more of these native apps are running in the background and you launch something else that take that last little bit.

This is just my theory, but it was made with a lot of evidence to support it. I have a couple dozen screen shots of when my free RAM was very low, and in all of those screen shots, at least 2 of those native apps are still running. Someone didn't code the "end application" statement correctly.

Another App/Service on the iPhone that I find running all the time is BT Server. I can boot the phone with BT off and it's still running in the background. Not just for a minute or 2, but constantly.
    It never happened with my 3G, but since i bought 3G S, same happens to me, safari, mail apps only keep running when i open them, account setup or not, but iPod is always running, i quit it with SBsettings but it comes back again , i even had made a thread about this issue here

Thanks

First, the Coma Mode. Now, the Poor Battery Life. Is Apple going to fix it or let the users suffer with this crap?! I don't recommend anyone to upgrade to 3.1
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

well i have a 32gb 3gs and i did kinda notice some battery problems but i just ignored it... this is a little off subject but does the 3.1 upgrade keep the screenshot thingy??? cause i installed the firmware but i cant seem to take screenshots anymore
    there is no cure for this sickness

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Battery life ALWAYS sucked on the 3GS but yesterday I got over 7 hours on 20%. Still no 3.1 jb for 3GS so I'm still on 3.0.1.

And also, why can you not quit Safari or iPod anymore, the iPhone OS restarts them even after I used sbsettings to quit them?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tarekkkkk View Post
    i dont know about u guyz but my 2g is good so far thank you God and im gonna wait about 2 years until i finish my college and boom buy the newest iphone 4GT i just hope my iphone screen keep alive cz it has some weird gray lines increasing every day inside the screen i dont know what to do i asked someone to fixed he told me it will cost 175$ and im studying comunication engineering i can fixed my self i just dont want to open the iphone i will loose my original case quality plus i dont have any warranty well guyz just wish me luck its only 2 years
    im excited for you, your 4gt, and your education, but please learn how to write correctly. Communication engineering? Really?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rryyddeerr For This Useful Post:

A666R (03-20-2010), darwina (09-24-2009), tarekkkkk (09-22-2009)

im having a crazy problem with my iphone 3g running 3.0.1 now out of nowhere and my battery will like charge and then when i stop charging it the percentage just drops and shuts off within' minutes. im gonna' try to restore and run 3.0 again and hopefully stops acting up

Thanks

The "Make It Mine" has totally disappeared leaving me with permanent AT&T for carrier even though Im on Tmobile and this has happened since updating to 3.0.1. I also deleted Winterboard and I use Processes frequently to keep my 2G running fast. I really am keeping the bare minimum on my phone to keep it faster and I will continue to sync until itunes no longer responds to my device. I may update to 3.1 once its safe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just for the record, I have restored 3 times just since the 3.1 update because battery was so bad. It got better after the last time of setting it up as a new phone, but it's still piss-poor compared to 2.2.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

just one more reason not to upgrade

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    One of many reasons why I will not upgrade to 3.1 (yet)
    this guy... apparently he knew about the faulty battery performance before it came out. he must be some sort of a iPhone profit. lol
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Quote Originally Posted by cying View Post
    My iPhone was out of warranty and Apple Store will replace the phone with a re-furbished phone no questions asked for $199.
    i dont live in the us or in eu i live far away true story

Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post
    im excited for you, your 4gt, and your education, but please learn how to write correctly. Communication engineering? Really?
    thanks yes im 4th year communication engineering looking forward to leave my country after 2 years im from lebanon
    Last edited by tarekkkkk; 09-22-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast