+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone App Ported Over to Zune HD

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Imaga via Ars Technica Only days after its release, Zune HD is appropriating apps from Apple's iPhone. Our friends at Ars Technica are detailing the first known iPhone app to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPhone App Ported Over to Zune HD

Imaga via Ars Technica

Only days after its release, Zune HD is appropriating apps from Apple's iPhone.

Our friends at Ars Technica are detailing the first known iPhone app to be ported over to the new device. The people responsible for it - the tech wizards at Foundation42 - unveiled their achievement on Twitter with the following Tweet: "From #iPhone game to #ZuneHD game in 12 hours using #MonoTouch and #XNA - YouTube - WordMonger Cross Platform Test - enjoy!"

Their game, WordMonger, was originally written in C# using OpenGL and MonoTouch, which allows developers to create C# and .NET based applications that run on Apple's iPhone and Apple's iPod Touch devices. The conversion to the Zune HD with .NET was done thanks to the XNA Game Studio 3.1 Zune HD extensions, which amusingly Microsoft didn't use to make its free ad-supported games.
    Although the plausibility of portability is pleasing to many, Microsoft still isn't allowing third parties to publish original apps on the Zune Marketplace. The game used in this example - WordMonger - is scheduled for release on the iPhone by late November, but the Zune HD version is still up in the air.

The official way to share games is to download and install Visual C#, .Net 3.5, and the XNA Game Studio 3.1. Then, the developer must give the source code of their game to the user, and make them build and deploy it manually.
    Obviously, that's a lot of hard work for the the casual user to endure for the sake of a single app. But we have to be patient, as developments and plans still under the radar will all but certainly come to simplify the hitches that presently leave us frustrated and confounded. Zune HD, after all, was just rolled out in the middle of September.

For now, the apps are more like a decent bonus on a generally excellent media player, though desperate rumors claim the software giant is going to link up the device to Windows Marketplace for Mobile once Windows Mobile 7 is ready to go.
    The opening of the Windows Mobile store on October 6th will coincide with the release of the first Windows phones - Windows Mobile 6.5 and up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    nice, maybe there is finally a competiter to the corrupt app store

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia probably has more apps than any app store exept for apple lol. So the Microsoft store ISNT the only competitor.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^I really wouldn't class themes as an "app"!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

MS=Fail
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow MS.. First you appropriate iphone apps, then Gizmodo reports that MS is stealing retail staff from Apple for it's new stores RIGHT NEXT to apple's in some cases. This is getting interesting..

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, the ZuneHD marketplace works exactly like the Xbox Live Arcade. I think it's a cool thing they have going even though it's a hell of a more strict rules than Apple (least they don't have far apps).

As a device, the ZuneHD looks really tempting if only for it's ability to output 720p natively. That would be awesome to see on an iPhone. Also, ZuneHd is getting AUDIOSURF as an exclusive which if why we haven't seen it on the iPhone

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

three cheers for Zune HD
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am a Zune user.
    Tho I don't have the zHD.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NArush View Post
    Wow MS.. First you appropriate iphone apps, then Gizmodo reports that MS is stealing retail staff from Apple for it's new stores RIGHT NEXT to apple's in some cases. This is getting interesting..
    Cuthroat competition. It's about time someone stepped up and started pressuring the mobile audio market.

Microsoft and everyone else knows that even if you release a product that is better than Apple's, in the end you still won't beat them because of the strong marketing strategy they got going.

That's why MS is opening their stores and Palm will too. Woot woot!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

this might be good..