+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $20 unlimited iPhone calling from AT&T 3G MicroCell?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by boe_dye of course you all do realize that essentially what this is, is a wireless router for your phone right? ... ... A REPEATER... That's what I
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    of course you all do realize that essentially what this is, is a wireless router for your phone right?

A REPEATER... That's what I was thinking of...

That what this is... Only with a true repeater, you don't need internet access, just a big antennae and and re broadcaster in the home.
    You could also compare it to an ATA adapter that allows you to connect a regular land-line phone to a Vonage box... but wirelessly with a 40 foot range. The sad part is that most cheap wireless home phones have better range than that.

You can't, however, compare this to a repeater. A repeater requires at least decent coverage outside of the structure that you are setting up as it is simply "repeating" the signal it picks up from the outside to the inside, and vice-versa. The AT&T Microcell, on the other hand, only requires an internet connection. Theoretically, you could move to a non-AT&T covered area, hook up your AT&T Microcell, and have AT&T 3G phone/data service in the 5000 square feet surrounding the device (basically, 40 feet in any direction).

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    at&t should have just made a computer program that allows us to use our houses wifi connection and route the calls through their network

kinda like skype, but it's AT&T skype!
    use our already existing wifi router!

instead of skype, gizmo5, or whatever, it would be an at&t program
    That would have been the sensible thing to do since all the new smart phones can connect to WiFi. But then if AT&T did that, they'd have to use VOIP, and they've been fighting VOIP tooth-n-nail from the start. It would make them hypocrites, not that I think anyone at AT&T really cares...

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye
    Yeah I get what it is, you used to be able to build them with parts you got from radio shack about 15 years ago...

What I still don't understand is this:

Why do you have to have an existing internet connection when there are other, better, cheaper ways to accomplish the same task?

... oh ... I know why... cause to attach an antennae to the outside of your house is so 1980's.

Either way, here's how the big kids roll without having to pay extra to AT&T to provide a service that they are already paying for. Actually doing it this way will work for just about ALL cell phones...

Wireless Extenders - Products - For Professional Installers

zBoost
    No, you still don't get it. See reply to other poster above.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 09-21-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

please fix that last quote, it's not mine

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    please fix that last quote, it's not mine
    Whoops!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

*sigh*

Now they do this...a few weeks ago I was getting ready to wall test my phone because I (later found out) happen to live in the middle of two cell towers though I am more towards the Edge tower so my signal will always be Edge and not that good. I finally got home phone service.

Might be worth it.

Thanks

Too bad theres no 3g anywhere thx ATT
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It basically comes down to this, if you have Good Internet high speed service and poor 3G reception than it may be good for you. And. If you are willing to pay for something you should already have as a AT&T 3G/3GS customer. However my experience is that I don't have either.

Thanks

I think it's a decent deal. The device needs to have good security though, I mean who wants to pay for this so that all the people that live around them can get better service too? Hell no! If I was to get this it better be my phones ONLY that get the benefit and if that cant be done then there's no way in hell I would use it.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    I think it's a decent deal. The device needs to have good security though, I mean who wants to pay for this so that all the people that live around them can get better service too? Hell no! If I was to get this it better be my phones ONLY that get the benefit and if that cant be done then there's no way in hell I would use it.
    it has security...

Thanks

I would buy this in a heartbeat!!
    I have crappy service in my house, when will it be released in Arizona??

Thanks

Thanks

This thread has become as lame as every other microcell thread on every blog everywhere. Its filled with people making their own opinion and guessing what this thing offers.

Its a cell repeater yes. It uses your current internet bandwidth to provide signal INSIDE your house for 5000 square feet. Its $150 with a $100 mail in rebate in the current market being tested. So end cost is $50. IT COSTS NOTHING MONTHLY!!! If you have 450 minute plan, thats what you use over your Microcell. If you have 450 minutes and The unlimited plan over your microcell, while you are in your house your using your unlimited minutes over the device. If you make a call in your house, walk out the door and out of the Microcell area. The call is handed over to the cell tower, and as long as you dont hang up the call that originated over microcell you arent using any "plan" minutes. So if you originate a call in your house, get in your car and drive 100 miles away, as long as you dont hang up the call, you are still using your unlimited Microcell minutes. As soon as you hangup away from your microcell and initiate another call your back on your plan minutes.

For people that have a microcell with 4 phones in the house its $20 a month for unlimited calling over the Microcell regardless of what calling plan you are on as long as you are in the Microcell range. You can have a football party invite people over to the house. Provision their phone to work on your Microcell and they can make calls all day long without using their minutes. if they walk out the door talking on the phone and live 50 miles away they are on your unlimited plan until they hang up. Who cares its unlimited. They are using the tower, but are still on your unlimited plan till they complete the call. Each phone needs to be provisioned to work on the cell. Your neighbors wont be stealing your bandwidth. Its only 5000 foot coverage. Its a godsend if you have 4 phones and use a majority of your minutes at home. Unless you call internationally like with Vonage you can drop the $49 a month unlimited landline and use this at home all the time without burning up any plan minutes, which you can use when you are away from your Microcell. Its ingenius

If you have AT&T internet, you get the unlimited minutes for $10 a month. If you have AT&T Internet and an AT&T landline (which would make no sense) your Microcell gets unlimited for free.
    Last edited by Limegrntaln; 09-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Limegrntaln For This Useful Post:

bdiddy619 (10-02-2009)

Thanks

@reefersmomesome

no, I really do get it... you pay AT&T to use their gadget over your Internet access in order to justify the fact that their 3g network simply isn't as good as they claim...

perhaps tough your right... it's not a repeater...

it's a glorified repeater...

Thanks

You pay one time to buy it. Use your current cell phone minutes and if you dont need it dont get it. AT&T isnt forcing it down your neck. If you dont have bars in your house but you do outside your house. AT&T cant do anything about that. This is a one time cost.
    Lime

White iPhone 3G[S] 32GB

Rig Specs:
    Coolermaster Spartan Case
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Core i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz
    Batch 3839A586
    6 gigs OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-20 1600 @1.65
    EVGA GTX 285 (702/1323/1584)
    LG DVD/RW
    Logitech G15 Keyboard & G9 Laser Mouse
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (lapped) Dual TR 1600 Fans
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Modular

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why is everybody whining? It says it's free if you have Internet and home phone with AT&T for the unlimited plan. It also says the unlimited plan is OPTIONAL. you don't have to pay monthly if you just want better coverage. If you want unlimited calling from the microcell then it's the fee, whtlether that be $20,$10 or free.

You are going to need this once the FCC starts regulating wireless data. Your next door neighbors will be streaming movies over their 3G devices and you won't be able to call out because the carriers will have to treat all traffic the same. Who says a 911 call is more important than my sling player...remember all traffic will be equal by law. At least this way you can control who uses your tower.
    So everyone just stop complaining if you can't afford a free service. Stupid.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Also, Sprint and Verizon (and I think T-Mobile as well) have similar microcells. In fact, Sprint had a deal going where if you brought a Palm Pre and found you had crappy reception where you lived, they'd give you one.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Also, Sprint and Verizon (and I think T-Mobile as well) have similar microcells. In fact, Sprint had a deal going where if you brought a Palm Pre and found you had crappy reception where you lived, they'd give you one.
    And that is exactly what AT&T should do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default pay for this?
    Why should we pay for AT&T to fix their own crappy network coverage?

Thanks

If I was in a situation where my cellular service wasn't good, or non-existent, in my home i would go in a different direction if it will cost $20 or even $10 per month.

Since you must have a broadband connect, you already have internet. For calls, I'd opt for something like magicJack or some other VoIP.

If the price is announced to be $20/month, that seems like quite an expense on top my cellular and internet bill, which are both needed for the MicroCell.

Cheers

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    For MY home calling area:

-VZW coverage is the same as AT&T but they are CDMA and I depend on GSM networks for global service
    -TMobile coverage is terrible and spotty in my area
    -Sprint is worse than TMobile and no GSM
    -Pay as you go carriers have small and limited coverage, I use my cell daily so would not save much with this option

What am I left with for my specific needs? No choice but AT&T. Now they want to charge their paying customers for their 3G network shortcomings and save some money while they are at it. Other carriers do this and it is not right.
    So what you are saying is that for your specific needs att has everything you need and you are complaining. Of ALL the carriers in the United States AT&T gives you the best option and you are still B!Tching about it. And AT&T is not doing anything different from the industry standard. if anything they just copy what everyone else charges for.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by todanator View Post
    Why should we pay for AT&T to fix their own crappy network coverage?
    duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's your fault you don't get reception in your house. That's why they're making you pay for the microcell and they're going to use your internet too. And if you're "lucky" enough to have AT&T "broadband" they'll throw you a freebie for already charging you out the nose.

Of course, I barely understand the allure of this thing. If you don't already have Highspeed internet and a calling plan, you can get yourself a phone line through Vonage for $24.99 or any other VoIP operator, use your WiFi (increased battery life anyone?) and still wouldn't need to plop down $20 a month for unlimited calling through this thing.
    Last edited by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL; 09-22-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Lovely

Not