+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $20 unlimited iPhone calling from AT&T 3G MicroCell?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Sweet. I hope is not an extra $20 dollar on top of your current plan.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    i think you forgot to read the information in the thread

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

how much is the actual microcell gonna cost? i don't care about their unlimited use plan, i want to know how much the microcell is gonna run me. verizon has the same type of thing, and i wanna say it is like two hundred something. so, in my case, i get perfect service everywhere but my house, and never did get great service with my other carriers like tmobile, worst carrier in the u.s. when it comes to coverage not customer service where they excell.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    how much is the actual microcell gonna cost?
    the very first posts says "AT&T hasn't yet set a retail price on its forthcoming new 3G MicroCell appliance"

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Gee, let's see. Pay them MORE money for service that I ALREADY pay for and require that I eat up MY bandwidth the I am paying for? **** you AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's really sad that so many people have a sense of entitlement. I am not a fan of AT&T either, but they are offering an OPTIONAL service that will help many users. Their targeted market is not poor 3G regions, but actually for indoors and buildings (think businesses as well). In my home, I get 1 bar, but one step outside on my patio I have 5 bars. That's not AT&T's fault that my house walls block reception. Let's also get some other facts down.
    You control access to who gets to use the tower so neighbors or anyone random can't use your bandwidth.
    The unlimited plan is also OPTIONAL. If you don't get it, you just use your minutes from your pool.
    Having the unlimited plan in essence replaces your landline. All calls from home won't count towards your pool of minutes. A side effect is that you'll have more rollover or you can drop down to smaller rate plan saving you money there.
    Services that use VOIP such as Vonage or your cable company all cost more than $20.
    If you have DSL or landline (ironic) service with AT&T, the unlimited plan costs $10. If you have both, it's free (I can't imagine a need for landline service though).

Once again, this service provided is OPTIONAL. Also, just because they are offering femtocells does not mean they stop working on their actual towers or adding new ones. HSPA is coming out this year and they are working on LTE. But remember that they are a business and will provide technologies to areas that get affected the most. Don't expect 3G in the middle of nowhere.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuongism For This Useful Post:

bdiddy619 (10-02-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
    It's really sad that so many people have a sense of entitlement......
    That may be so, but why should "current 3G/3Gs customers" have to pay additional money for a
    service that they should already get when they have access to a 3G network?

I only get 2G service at my home and its so-so. But, at my work I get 3G. (At home) I purchased a cell extender/enhancer for it - no problem. And would not really shake down AT&T about it since I know they and others are working on it. But, to charge me more for a "service" that I should already be getting is stupid. And thats the point! Give the thing away for free for those who needed it and have (by the way - I don't) good ISP speed to use it.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why they want a mothly fee for using my own internet connection. Paying for the device I can understand, but a fee? WTF?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AT&T Debuts Home 3G Microcell in Charlotte, NC

1Comment
    by Sascha Segan

Does spotty reception on your iPhone drive you nuts? Do you live in Charlotte, NC? If so, head on over to AT&T to pick up the new 3G MicroCell, a device which piggybacks on your home high-speed Internet to provide five bars of HSDPA 3.6-flavored 3G coverage inside your home.

It works with up to four users at once, though remember: four people hitting 3G sites at maximum speed all at the same time will clog up many low-rent DSL or cable lines!

According to an AT&T rep in Charlotte, the MicroCell costs $150 and service is free (heck, you're saving AT&T money by using it) unless you sign up for AT&T's "unlimited talk" option, which gives you unlimited minutes of calling over your microcell. That costs an extortionate $20/month, though it also gets you a rebate on your device.

The MicroCell covers about 5,000 square feet and only works in AT&T licensed coverage areas, so don't think about taking it on your next international trip. When you're setting up it uses a GPS to verify its location, which gives me some amusing visions of having to carry your MicroCell outside and wave it around before it works.

AT&T confirmed the MicroCell is only available in Charlotte right now, though presumably they'll expand its availability with time.

The three other nationwide wireless carriers all have their own network-extending solutions. T-Mobile has the best deal, though it only works with some phones. Their Hotspot@Home system works without additional hardware, on any Wi-Fi hotspot you can get access to around the world. That's especially good for world travelers.

Sprint's and Verizon's solutions fall behind AT&T's and T-Mobile's in flexibility. Sprint's $99 AIRAVE is currently out of stock and only supports 2G speeds, according to Sprint's Web site. Verizon's insanely overpriced Network Extender costs $249.99 and doesn't support 3G data. Remember: you're paying them $250 to do them a favor by taking traffic off their towers.

Originally posted to Gearlog.

Banned
    Thanks

It's really sad that so many people have a sense of entitlement......Don't expect 3G in the middle of nowhere.
    But if you have a DSL or Cable internet connection in the middle of nowhere, this would in fact give you 3G in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, when the AT&T coverage viewer (AT&T Coverage Viewer) indicates that an area where I spend most of my time has full coverage (by the area being dark orange with no lighter orange spotting it), is it so unreasonable to expect that when I walk outside to the parking lot, that is devoid of any large trees or nearby tall buildings, that my phone should work flawlessly? Why should I have to pay more money to receive the service that I pay for and that AT&T themselves claim I should be receiving?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Services that use VOIP such as Vonage or your cable company all cost more than $20.
    Vonage is 25 bucks a month with unlimited long distance including out of country (60 of the most popular countries) without already paying a monthly wireless/data fee of $70 bucks per month plus taxes. I have a hard time justifying 20 bucks PER HANDSET to get this unlimited service, especially because it is in no way comparable to vonage, other than the fact that it uses my internet line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    And if one of those 10 devices is used by a 15 year old that is glued to the cellphone that her parents bought her? What about the 3G internet use...

The point is that AT&T is charging you for providing service that they are getting paid for. On top of that, this service that you are paying for has the potential to cost you even more money. AT&T should be paying you to provide this access, not the other way around.

The power company doesn't charge you to feed power from your over-productive solar panels back to the grid (in fact, in most applications, your meter runs backwards!), so why should AT&T charge you to provide their service for them.

Don't get me wrong. The idea is a good one. But they should not be charging you for using it, they should be paying you. Charging you an additional $20 for a) being able to use service that you ALREADY pay for and b) getting unlimited usage which you may ALREADY pay for, is, simply put, typical AT&T scamming.
    Who pays for an iphone plan but only pays for internet with a 5gb cap on it? What kind of crappy internet are you paying for. All of my unlimited data that I have had has always been just that... unlimited. That being said, do you realize how much talking and texting and whatnot it would take to reach that cap? You get about 23kbps data throughput on an average voip call, less for texting. It would take hundreds of thousands of hours talking (many MANY more hours than exist in a month) to reach said limit (it virtually cannot be done). You would need all ten lines chatting and texting practically 24/7 to reach something like that.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-21-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I will get it since I don't have a home phone anymore and my girlfriend who works at home will cut back on minute usage. Combine this with the A-list and I am good to go.

Thanks

since the price was finally released and it's only $150 for the unit with no fee for basic service, i'm getting it

i don't need the $20 unlimited calling for it, just basic free service using my normal minutes plan

another article, although it says "you need to pay an additional $20 a month" which isn't true since that is ONLY for unlimited calling. there is the free option already posted above
    3G MicroCells: AT&T Wants You to Pay Extra to Fix Their Own Failures - 3G microcell - Gizmodo
    Last edited by Rescuer; 09-21-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Vonage is 25 bucks a month with unlimited long distance including out of country (60 of the most popular countries) without already paying a monthly wireless/data fee of $70 bucks per month plus taxes. I have a hard time justifying 20 bucks PER HANDSET to get this unlimited service, especially because it is in no way comparable to vonage, other than the fact that it uses my internet line.
    It is not 20 bucks per handset. It's $20 for unlimited talk to anywhere in the US, PR, Guam, etc. for 10 lines, but only 4 can be on a call at once. You can also change those #'s anytime you want. True, it doesn't have Vonage's extra perks.
    Just curious what people expect to pay for unlimited minutes? You also DON'T have to buy the unlimited plan, just use the minutes from your rate plan.
    I apologize if I sounded harsh earlier, it's just that people are so negative on forums. All I read are mostly complaints. The way I see it, they don't need to offer this service at all, but I benefit from it and I welcome it. Everything is still in speculation as well. It currently costs $150 for the microcell with a $100 rebate if you sign up for the unlimited minutes, but who knows if they drop the prices when they officially roll it out nationwide at the end of the year.

PS Also as a side benefit, the people who do get this will take a load off their networks which should then benefit everyone else on the network.
    PPS All AT&T 3G data plans have a 5GB limit (even though they say unlimited). It's just that it's extremely difficult to reach on a phone. Broadband service also has a cap depending on your cable/dsl/fiber company.
    Last edited by Cuongism; 09-21-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

You started out sounding like you had a clue...

...and then you proved you do not.

Who pays for an iphone plan but only pays for internet with a 5gb cap on it? What kind of crappy internet are you paying for. All of my unlimited data that I have had has always been just that... unlimited. That being said, do you realize how much talking and texting and whatnot it would take to reach that cap? You get about 23kbps data throughput on an average voip call, less for texting. It would take hundreds of thousands of hours talking (many MANY more hours than exist in a month) to reach said limit (it virtually cannot be done). You would need all ten lines chatting and texting practically 24/7 to reach something like that.
    Do you think that the 3G offered by these devices is only limited to voice usage? By allowing 10 users (yourself included) access to the device, you are now giving voice AND data service to 10 phones. That's 10 phones that can make calls AND browse the internet, all using your wired broadband connection.

It is common knowledge that AT&T limits your data usage in the "unlimited" data plan to 5GB. Anything over the 5GB and you get bent over. It is also common knowledge that all of the large ISPs (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc...) impose a bandwidth limit of some sort on DSL and Cable accounts. They will deny it to your face, but read the fine print.

It is not 20 bucks per handset. It's $20 for unlimited talk to anywhere in the US, PR, Guam, etc. for 10 lines, but only 4 can be on a call at once. You can also change those #'s anytime you want. True, it doesn't have Vonage's extra perks.
    Just curious what people expect to pay for unlimited minutes? You also DON'T have to buy the unlimited plan, just use the minutes from your rate plan.
    I apologize if I sounded harsh earlier, it's just that people are so negative on forums. All I read are mostly complaints. The way I see it, they don't need to offer this service at all, but I benefit from it and I welcome it. Everything is still in speculation as well. It currently costs $150 for the microcell with a $100 rebate if you sign up for the unlimited minutes, but who knows if they drop the prices when they officially roll it out nationwide at the end of the year.
    Wrong again. The $20 offer for unlimited calling is only extended to the account that is hosting the device. Nothing is different for the other users you allow to access it.

Still, $20 to provide AT&T's service for them in exchange for unlimited calling? Really...
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 09-21-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

thanks much for the link, however it doesn't really seem to answer my question...

if it is simply a range extender then why does it NEED to connect to the internet? It's a redundant and unnecessary feature.

Generally speaking what would be better to have would be a range extender, which would be something that you would plug into a wall. I think that's what they used to use in the AT&T stores because of the interference caused by the structure.

Or you could really have a throwback and get one of those signal strength stickers that they used to sell in the nineties.

Simple answer with this to me, is that it's another gimmick marketed to those who simply need another gadget. In about 5 years, if not less people who purchase this will be kicking themselves for subscribing to a service that was unnecessary, expensive and quickly made obsolete once the so-called 4G network rolls in.

If your service is really that bad where you need to purchase another gadget just to use something that you are already paying for, then the problem is in the service and the solution is not to give them more money in order for them to make good on a promise, but to go somewhere else.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    if it is simply a range extender then why does it NEED to connect to the internet? It's a redundant and unnecessary feature.
    Because it's not a range extender. Think of it as a little mini 3G tower that has a whopping reception area of 40 feet in any direction that routes calls to/from AT&T's network via the internet.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 09-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

of course you all do realize that essentially what this is, is a wireless router for your phone right?

A REPEATER... That's what I was thinking of...

That what this is... Only with a true repeater, you don't need internet access, just a big antennae and and re broadcaster in the home.

Thanks

Because it's not a range extender. Think of it as a little mini 3G tower that routes calls to AT&T's network via the internet.
    at&t should have just made a computer program that allows us to use our houses wifi connection and route the calls through their network

kinda like skype, but it's AT&T skype!
    use our already existing wifi router!

instead of skype, gizmo5, or whatever, it would be an at&t program
    Last edited by Rescuer; 09-21-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks

Because it's not a range extender. Think of it as a little mini 3G tower that has a whopping reception area of 40 feet in any direction that routes calls to/from AT&T's network via the internet.
    Yeah I get what it is, you used to be able to build them with parts you got from radio shack about 15 years ago...

What I still don't understand is this:

Why do you have to have an existing internet connection when there are other, better, cheaper ways to accomplish the same task?

... oh ... I know why... cause to attach an antennae to the outside of your house is so 1980's.

Either way, here's how the big kids roll without having to pay extra to AT&T to provide a service that they are already paying for. Actually doing it this way will work for just about ALL cell phones...

Wireless Extenders - Products - For Professional Installers

zBoost