+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Strong Word of Advice for Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via New York Times Congressman Joe Wilson, who garnered much attention for himself by shouting "Liar" in the chambers of Congress recently, has apparently started a trend this month.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default A Strong Word of Advice for Apple

Image via New York Times

Congressman Joe Wilson, who garnered much attention for himself by shouting "Liar" in the chambers of Congress recently, has apparently started a trend this month.

Shouts of "Liar" haven't subsided one bit... except a new target has been bearing the brunt of the impact: Apple.

Since last week's media fiasco provoked by Apple and Google's war of words, a lot of folks have expressed displeasure with how Apple communicated its way through that whole debacle. But now that the smoke has settled, some are coming around to stop castigating and, instead, cast a lifeline of advice to a company that seems to need a positive spin ASAP.

Of course, speaking truth to power is never easy. But this morning, Paul Suarez at PC World is making a bold attempt to jolt Apple from the recent media funk in which the company has found itself.

It's no secret that Apple isn't exactly earning praise for rejecting Google Voice. A recent "truth-stretching" response to the FCC about its action didn't help the company's image either.
    Suarez's advice? Apple should embrace third-party options in their product lines in order to regain some measure of consumer confidence. The first step? Put a whole new effort into building up the iPod Touch.
    Offer a iPod Touch with 3G capabilities. Apple could manufacture an iPod that has built-in 3G and is meant to be another wireless option to the iPhone. Scrap the current App Store approval process and allow room for third-party VoIP and messaging options to become available.
    Those of us who love Apple are taking personally the recent wave of criticisms that have utterly shaken the company's focus from what it does best - create and support amazing technologies that revolutionize the way we live our lives. In this regard, I agree with Suarez. Apple needs to get back to work at fostering growth, not stifling it and couching excuses for not doing so in carefully worded letters and press releases.

Scrap the current App Store approval process and allow room for third-party VoIP and messaging options to become available.
    For Apple, such a move seems increasingly more inevitable. And the longer the company waits to drastically change its policies of exclusion (which have proven more prevalent that we realized in recent weeks) the longer it will take for Apple to get back to doing the creative work that never gave the company a black eye from the mass media before.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

cachehog (09-20-2009), Gustavo Saliola (09-21-2009), MaxRabbit (09-22-2009)

Thanks

What Apple needs to do is change the SDK terms and stop rejecting everything.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Apple needs to stop being so Anal. kThx.
    EDM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeal For This Useful Post:

HITCH (09-21-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

they're just the same as a bully you might run into the hallways of a highschool. and we all know the golden rule, whoever has the gold, makes the rules. they're untouchable, money hungry heathens from the depths of the netherworld, and they like being that way.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul suarez is a lunatic but his head is in the right place.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Wasn't the line "You lie!" ?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, by rejecting GV and closing the jailbreak loophole on the new FW, Apple has pissed me the eff off! But what are we gonna do? The jailbreaking community is vastly in the minority, and our voices aren't heard over the stampeding "general" consumers who don't care (or know) about jailbreaking, and the sounds of the cash registers ringing round the clock from AppStore sales.

And I JUST left VZW and a Storm for AT&T and a 3G[S]! Not that I was even REMOTELY happy with my previous device. The Storm was the worst phone I've ever touched in my entire life. But it seems that MS and Palm may get a strong leverage point in all of this. If Apple doesn't get their sh*t together, and fast, either of those companies will have a chance to seriously stomp some toes over at Apple.....IMO.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really don't understand why Google is so mad in the first place. This app would really hurt att in so many ways. I know they said att has no say in their apps, but i'm sure apple does not want to put an app out that really hurts their main carrier. Their data usage would go way up and a lot of people would lower their minutes on their plan. I personally would not use Google voice since I don't use a lot of minutes anyway.

Thanks

Apple does need to change its policies for the SDK. They also need to stop "bending" their own rules whenever they see fit. I do agree that they certainly have been getting a lot of negative exposure lately and if they don't do something about it it will only hurt them as a company in the long run.
    Last edited by A_DuB187; 09-20-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

A long while back Steve Jobs and Bill Gates appears on stage for a one on one that lasted an hour or so. In that session Steve Jobs said (and I quote) "I wish we'd have learned earlier that we can't do everything ourselves". Speaking of Apple's attitude that nobody can help them and work with them and they must do everything themselves. This was many years back and Steve seems to have forgotten his own words.

That session can be found on the net in several places if you look.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
    I really don't understand why Google is so mad in the first place. This app would really hurt att in so many ways. I know they said att has no say in their apps, but i'm sure apple does not want to put an app out that really hurts their main carrier. Their data usage would go way up and a lot of people would lower their minutes on their plan. I personally would not use Google voice since I don't use a lot of minutes anyway.
    Are you kidding? Why is Google so mad? I'd be mad if I were Google, or any developer whose app has been rejected without reason. You spend time and money developing an app that you think adheres to the terms and conditions, only to have it rejected without reason. Right, no reason to be mad about that!

But, you know, if Apple is really just trying to protect ATT then this shouldn't be an issue, right? After all, ATT claims they never asked Apple to reject it.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

$$$ tend to blind most people (and companies). Hard learned lessons are easily forgotten. Apple will change --- hopefully before their market share (and stock price) declines to single digit #'s !!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Dude! You sound like a lobbyist for apple/ AT&T. We pay for unlimited data so the increased bandwith use is included in our plan. Secondly it wouldn't hurt AT&T if we save minutes it would encourage more competition. If we use less minutes than it would make AT&T lower prices to be more competitive. Thirdly it cost a lot of money and time to develop an app. So to get
    rejected by a company for no real reason is a good reason to be mad.

Take your head out of the ground and maybe you will realize everthing that was wrong with your statement.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple got a shitload of money from the iPhone, so their "stocks got raised", now they reject **** that they don't like, just because, but soon I think Apple's gonna learn its lesson when users will start rebelling against all their ********:P They weren't so bad before the iPhone came out:P

Green Apple
    Thanks

The iPhone could be the best mobile on the market if only Apple would climb down from thier arrogant stance and allow it to do all the things that come as standard on others. It has a first rate CPU, bluetooth chip and great operating system. If only they would listen and open up the SDK and let us have it as a decent phone instead of concentrating on thousands of worthless apps.
    Last edited by clive.weller; 09-20-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clive.weller View Post
    The iPhone could be the best mobile on the market
    If you don't think it is, what phone do you think is?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? How would a Google Voice app hurt at&t? Google Voice is not a VoIP service. If it was, I could kind of see your point, but it isn't. And besides, Apple let Skype into the app store, and that's a VoIP service. So even if Google Voice was a VoIP service, apple had no right to reject it, especially since the CEO of Google was on the board of apple, and knows that apple is lying about being "undecided".

As my father always told me: "Think before you speak! (or type)".
    Last edited by k9srkool; 09-20-2009 at 02:30 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

All I want is to be able to install Cydia stuff, have custom sounds, and theme it how I want. Basically jailbreak. I could care less what Apple decides about it's business plan. Let me use the phone I bought how I want. It's not Apples phone once I purchase it!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (09-20-2009), swampzy (09-20-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

ipod touch with 3g capabilities .... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOL *pause* ...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOL

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

"Offer a iPod Touch with 3G capabilities. Apple could manufacture an iPod that has built-in 3G and is meant to be another wireless option to the iPhone. Scrap the current App Store approval process and allow room for third-party VoIP and messaging options to become available."

That's a stupid idea..turn an ipod into a phone? how bout no.. that wouldn't even make sense. It's called an iPod for a reason..it wasn't meant to be used for wireless carriers except for home/public wifi

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast