+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Strong Word of Advice for Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by genovelle I have also noticed that many who have sided with Google on this matter appear to be Windows loving Apple haters. I'm an Apple loving Windows
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
    I have also noticed that many who have sided with Google on this matter appear to be Windows loving Apple haters.
    I'm an Apple loving Windows hater. Apple is clearly in the wrong on this one.

Many posters here continue to ignorantly equate Google Voice with VOIP. Please, repeat with me:

GOOGLE VOICE IS NOT VOIP
    GOOGLE VOICE IS NOT VOIP
    GOOGLE VOICE IS NOT VOIP
    GOOGLE VOICE IS NOT VOIP
    GOOGLE VOICE IS NOT VOIP

Google Voice is mainly a call forwarding service that simply routes calls made to your Google Voice number to multiple phones that you have designated in your GV account. And if the official GV app is like the GV Mobile app on Cydia (that is supposedly NOT made by Google), the main purpose of the GV App is to allow you to make outgoing calls that APPEAR to be from your GV number.

Using (the unofficial) GV Mobile, the call is still made using your AT&T minutes. The way the GV Mobile app works is this:

1. You dial the number you want to call and press "Call".
    2. The Google Voice service then initiates a call TO YOUR PHONE NUMBER FROM YOUR GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER.
    3. You answer the call ON YOUR IPHONE and immediately hear ringing as the GV service then connects you to the number you originally dialed.
    4. The person you are calling sees your Google Voice number on their caller ID, answers the call, and you talk. The minutes used in this call GO AGAINST YOUR AT&T CALLING PLAN.

If you look at the detailed call log on your AT&T statement, instead of showing outbound calls to the numbers you dialed with Google Voice, you will see incoming calls from your Google Voice number. That is NOT VOIP. VOIP CALLS DO NOT SHOW UP IN YOUR AT&T CALL LOGS.

Now I could be wrong and the official GV app may not work like the GV Mobile app on Cydia. But since everything that we've seen from Google indicates that it IS NOT a VOIP app, it will likely work in the same manner as GV Mobile on Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    Paul suarez is a lunatic but his head is in the right place.
    Oxymoron. And i think a touch with 3G would be pointless. Who wants 2 wireless carriers? And if im having AT&T, i would rather just pay for 1 iPhone then an iPod Touch AND another phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    All I want is to be able to install Cydia stuff, have custom sounds, and theme it how I want. Basically jailbreak. I could care less what Apple decides about it's business plan. Let me use the phone I bought how I want. It's not Apples phone once I purchase it!
    You say this now, but let a problem come up or someone hacks you information because they allowed it. Keep in mind if they allow Google access to your data unrestricted, they have to do so for any other vendor. Even the hackers, spammers and phishers. When your phone no longer functions because of something you downloaded. You won't be calling ghost busters, you will call Apple. Lets see there are 50,000,000 devices using the app store, who is going to pay for foolish apps that don't work as Apple designed the phone and disables normal functions. Well we will because we won't be able to get anyone on the phone for service and the genius bars would be overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by echoes49 View Post
    My wife thought she was doing me a favor when she upgraded my 3g to 3.1. Being a windows user this sucks! Both our phones are due for upgrades at the end of the month. I was going to upgrade to the 3gs and my wife was going to upgrade from her Motorola V9x to a 3gs. But since Apple wants to force me what my options are and how my phone looks when I use it..... Screw them. I will take my money else where. I too had no ill will towards Apple until this happened. My wife has seen the new comercials with phones operated by android and loves the fact she can make it look the way SHE wants. If Apple would sell apps to let folks personalize their phone, most people would buy them. I feel Apple will do this, but they will make their customers buy a new updated handset to do so. Why should I spend money on a new handset for features that have been on many phones for a few years now?
    Because they actually work. I have owned many phones and most phones have more features than the Iphone did. They just never really worked well. No one really used them. For instance. I had a web browser on my treo in 2002. It could even play video and music. It was so bad that it was useless. Apple understands that when they make a product that real people can use it sells like hot cakes. Ipods and Iphone are the perfect example. The are selling every Iphone the can push out, The android phones can't say the same thing. Customization is great but most people just want their phones to work in a consistent way. If Customizing is what the REAL public wanted then no one would have bought the Ipod or Iphone. Both change the industry completely. But they still miss the point because of a vocal few who think they want complete control. My friend has the pre because it was to be soooo much better than the Iphone. He's stuck with sprint because his business has 9 phones under contract. He bragged about those features for about 3 weeks. Now he hates the phone and complains about it everytime I see him. His wife's job gave her an Iphone and even though she has several thousand songs and keeps a couple movies on it. she finds it far more intuitive to use and she uses many of the medical apps available. She likes that the interface is consistent no matter what she is doing.
    Last edited by genovelle; 09-21-2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k9srkool View Post
    Google Voice isn't a VoIP service!!!!! What don't you get about that?!?!?
    Show me proof that it doesn't use VOIP. You can use it on your computer and make calls, you can forward that number to somewhere else, but it STILL USES THE INTERNET.

VOIP = Voice OVER INTERNET Protocol.

Show me one instance that what ever you are doing DOES NOT use the INTERNET and uses nothing but landlines like traditional landlines.

Keep telling yourself that, but it's no different than voip. Still uses the internet...

Thanks

Google voice on the computer is VoIP
    Google Voice the App is not a VoIP app.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Doppler still hasn't received the memo.

Lovely

Not

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    Show me proof that it doesn't use VOIP. You can use it on your computer and make calls, you can forward that number to somewhere else, but it STILL USES THE INTERNET.

VOIP = Voice OVER INTERNET Protocol.

Show me one instance that what ever you are doing DOES NOT use the INTERNET and uses nothing but landlines like traditional landlines.

Keep telling yourself that, but it's no different than voip. Still uses the internet...
    The point is that when you make a call with Google Voice, you really call with your CELL PHONE, and there use your cell phone minutes. Yes, technically, it does use the internet to INITIATE the call, but it is NOTHING like skype, which is a REAL VoIP service.

Have you ever even used Google Voice before?

Banned
    Thanks

...Keep in mind if they allow Google access to your data unrestricted, they have to do so for any other vendor. Even the hackers, spammers and phishers...
    I'd be less worried about Google and more worried about AT&T, who has already proven that they CANNOT BE TRUSTED with your privacy...

...Customization is great but most people just want their phones to work in a consistent way. If Customizing is what the REAL public wanted then no one would have bought the Ipod or Iphone...
    Wrong. Yes, people will likely choose what "simply works". But that does not necessarily mean that they don't want to customize their phone, that simply means that when weighing "simply works" against customizing, "simply works" wins for obvious reasons.

If Apple stays their current course, eventually someone will come along that will create a device that both "simply works" and is customizable out of the box. I do like Apple and I sincerely hope Steve Jobs and Apple can get over the ego before that happens.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 09-21-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Rokesomesmeefer;4961060]I'd be less worried about Google and more worried about AT&T, who has already proven that they CANNOT BE TRUSTED with your privacy...

Wrong. Yes, people will likely choose what "simply works". But that does not necessarily mean that they don't want to customize their phone, that simply means that when weighing "simply works" against customizing, "simply works" wins for obvious reasons.

If Apple stays their current course, eventually someone will come along that will create a device that both "simply works" and is customizable out of the box. I do like Apple and I sincerely hope Steve Jobs and Apple can get over the ego before that happens.[/QUOTEYOU

Dude, have you ever used the new android OS on the G1? It does work very well, has great features, has the ability to be themed and personalized completely to your liking, has an "Android Market" which is like the app store and even has loads of apps currently with more coming. They also have loads of apps that are on iPhone for android too like shazam, movies and more but I didn't really look for all of them. I played with the G1 recently for the first time and I was blown away. I love my iPhone very much but after playing
    with a g1 I can't help but think that operating system is much better than the iPhones OS and when paired up with an amazing handset, the combination will be an iPhone killer.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H0rn3t920 View Post
    Dude, have you ever used the new android OS on the G1? It does work very well, has great features, has the ability to be themed and personalized completely to your liking, has an "Android Market" which is like the app store and even has loads of apps currently with more coming. They also have loads of apps that are on iPhone for android too like shazam, movies and more but I didn't really look for all of them. I played with the G1 recently for the first time and I was blown away. I love my iPhone very much but after playing
    with a g1 I can't help but think that operating system is much better than the iPhones OS and when paired up with an amazing handset, the combination will be an iPhone killer.
    Yes. The rest of my family has a family plan with T-Mobile, and my brother and stepfather both got the G1 before I finally caved and bought an iPhone. I won't say I wasn't impressed by the G1, but for the typical smartphone user, the iPhone is still much easier to use. And frankly, the G1 has had its share of odd quirks that both my brother and stepfather have been annoyed with.

But no matter how you look at it, clearly the G1 is not the iPhone killer that everyone hoped it would be (even me). If it had, we would not be reading news about the FCC investigating Apple over possible anti-competitive practices.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Clearly this is all just a ruse to identify the biggest Apple apologists and fanboys as no one with the least amount of objectivity could possibly defend them on this issue. Mission accomplished.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Android is good. It just needs to be graced by awesome hardware. (Processing and sound alike)

Lovely

Not

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Yes. The rest of my family has a family plan with T-Mobile, and my brother and stepfather both got the G1 before I finally caved and bought an iPhone. I won't say I wasn't impressed by the G1, but for the typical smartphone user, the iPhone is still much easier to use. And frankly, the G1 has had its share of odd quirks that both my brother and stepfather have been annoyed with.

But no matter how you look at it, clearly the G1 is not the iPhone killer that everyone hoped it would be (even me). If it had, we would not be reading news about the FCC investigating Apple over possible anti-competitive practices.
    You misunderstood me. I was not saying the G1 was an iPhone killer. I was implying that the new Android OS could make a phone that is paired with it potentially better than an iPhone. The G1 is sort of ugly, and the tech on it is really not that SUPER advanced and could be much better. And since the Android OS is rolling out on newer handsets, Im sure that pretty soon we will see a brand new awesome, good looking, well-featured handset hit the market paired with the Android OS, which can very well make it an iPhone killer. Also understand if there are quirks with the Android OS, im sure they will be fixed in future updates.

And yes the iPhone is much easier to use than other smart phones, and you know what, it will most likely stay as the easiest smart phone to use. That is because Apple takes big deal products and make them incredibly easy for everyone to use. That is sort of Apples way of doing things. But im sure you know that. Everyone is impressed with the iPhone at all the things that it can do above an ordinary cell phone but in reality, Windows mobile smartphones from past years have had the same capability to do most of the things the iPhone does but it was never as user friendly as the iPhones OS was. On old Windows mobile phones you would have to go on the internet and download the programs you wanted on your phone, then transfer them, install, and then you had new programs on your phone. This was way too hard for average people to figure out so thats why the App Store was such a excellent idea.
    Last edited by H0rn3t920; 09-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H0rn3t920 View Post
    You misunderstood me. I was not saying the G1 was an iPhone killer. I was implying that the new Android OS is what makes the phone have the capability to be better than an iPhone. The G1 is sort of ugly, and the tech on it is really not that SUPER advanced and could be much better. And since the Android OS is rolling out on newer handsets, Im sure that pretty soon we will see a brand new awesome, good looking, well-featured handset hit the market paired with the Android OS, which can very well make it an iPhone killer.
    I didn't misunderstand you. You just missed what I said in one of my previous replies (that you even quoted):

If Apple stays their current course, eventually someone will come along that will create a device that both "simply works" and is customizable out of the box. I do like Apple and I sincerely hope Steve Jobs and Apple can get over the ego before that happens.

Thanks

I like my iPhone
    No matter how good Android is, without decent hardware it's no use to me.
    Eventually it will happen but I can't see any other H/w manufacture making anything better (or even close too) the iPhone.
    One day it will happen, but I don't think it will be any time soon.
    You all complain about Apple - but Google don't even offer Google Voice outside of the USA - talk about restrictive parctices!

I think I will go and hide now while you all flame me. Have fun
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You all complain about Apple - but Google don't even offer Google Voice outside of the USA - talk about restrictive parctices!
    Google doesn't "offer" Google Voice to most people inside the US either! It's a limited beta that appears to not be taking any more participants. I should know, I've been on the waitlist for over a month.

Thanks

I didn't say they didn't offer it - I've had an invite, just can't use it
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I didn't misunderstand you. You just missed what I said in one of my previous replies (that you even quoted):
    Haha i didnt miss that. That is what made me start up the conversation about how the Android OS on the G1 is what you were speaking of in my mind but it still isn't a perfected OS or phone as of yet.

And I don't really see Apple changing their course unless they are forced to by an agency like the FCC. I say this because apple certainly knows how successful the iPhone is, they are most definitely very happy with the result of the iPhone and I think that they believe if they were to change their product around to conflict with their current standards and guidelines, they would think it would sacrifice the quality and upper class feel of the iPhone. (AKA things like themes, apps that they normally wouldnt approve of in the appstore today) Also after all the fighting they have done against jailbreaking and third-party material on the iphone, it goes to show how much they are against this kind of stuff. They most certainly do not want any of that on the iPhone and will probally not allow it unless forced to do so by agency's like the FCC.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

If Google thought their app was sooooooooo great they would have used it as a draw for their Google Phones.
    Um, they do. There's andriod applications that fully overtake your phone dialier with complete Google Voice integration. The same goes for Blackberries.

Google Voice is 100% NOT A VOIP SERVICE. ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY THIS DUMB?

Google Voice is a SWITCHBOARD service. You link your actual phone numbers (cell, office, home) under your GV number and give said number to friends/family/co-workers/etc. When someone calls your GV number, ALL (remember this part) registered phones under it ring, allowing you to pick up the call regardless of where you are.

Google Voice provides you with an advanced filtering service to handle incoming calls. You can set it to foward calls to yuor office phone only during the weekdays and certain hours to accommodate to your work schedule. You can filter by caller to go straight the voice mail or always to your cell phone. Voice mails GV receives are transcribed and sent to you via e-mail if you can't actually listen to them at the time. You can even text (for free!) from the GV interface.

But now to the topic at hand and as I mentioned before: When someone calls your GV number, ALL of your registered phones will ring! It just so happens that one of those phones can be a SIP number from Gizmo5. Gizmo5 IS THE VOIP SERVICE. Similar to skype with a different business model, they've got a nice thing going with Google that lets them make calls through GV.

Gizmo5 makes money by renting call-in/out numbers. Basically, you pay them for a number people can call you (and the minutes you use of course when calling landlines). However, since GV provides you with a number already, you pay nothing!

At this point, anyone who calls GV a VOIP is an idiot.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 09-21-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

k9srkool (09-21-2009)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    You can even text (for free!) from the GV interface.
    Hehe, how much do you think that pissed off AT&T