+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Strong Word of Advice for Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
ya i agree with the whole thing of apple loosening up a little but the ipod touch with 3g?? that doesnt seem like a good idea
    iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

ya i agree with the whole thing of apple loosening up a little but the ipod touch with 3g?? that doesnt seem like a good idea

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k9srkool View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me?!?!? How would a Google Voice app hurt at&t? Google Voice is not a VoIP service. If it was, I could kind of see your point, but it isn't. And besides, Apple let Skype into the app store, and that's a VoIP service. So even if Google Voice was a VoIP service, apple had no right to reject it, especially since the CEO of Google was on the board of apple, and knows that apple is lying about being "undecided".

As my father always told me: "Think before you speak! (or type)".
    Skype works only on wifi. GV didn't. that's the difference. Apple did have a right to reject it. All the other VIOP's had to be on wifi so what makes GV more special?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    All I want is to be able to install Cydia stuff, have custom sounds, and theme it how I want. Basically jailbreak. I could care less what Apple decides about it's business plan. Let me use the phone I bought how I want. It's not Apples phone once I purchase it!
    Win. +1

99.9% of the reason I jailbreak in the first place is to run Winterboard and SBSettings. If Apple would incorporate these kinds of things into their official OS, I would probably stop jailbreaking my iPhone.

Since I doubt that will happen anytime soon, I'm going to continue jailbreaking my device and if Apple wants to ***** they can suck a fat one. They haven't written an OS that the Dev Team hasn't been able to crack, given enough time.

And sure, I've always been a Windows guy, but I never harbored any ill will towards Apple. Until I got my iPhone. How can a company with the foresight to develop such an amazing device be so stubborn and stupid when it comes to the software they allow to run on it?

I agree with Saurik's most recent article; Apple has become the big brother that they themselves portrayed as "the bad guys" in their classic commercial. If they don't wise up, as soon as another great phone comes along that does everything that the current iPhone does AND allows user customization and has less restrictive guidelines for third party apps, there will be a lot of people jumping ship. Myself included.

Thanks

GV is not a VoIP service. It uses your minutes.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

iPhone? More like MyPhone kainisable's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple, you lie!

Like What i Said?, Hit The Thanks Button!

Green Apple
    Thanks

First of all apple is far from rejecting everything second of all dont you thing ATT is a huge reason why VoIP isnt allowed? it would make unlimited minutes so affordable that all att contracts would drown. Making the iPod touch with 3g capabilities is just stupid. Thats like saying lets make the ipod classic with a touchscreen there is a reason for the differentiation in products. Voice control is one of the 2 in my opinion reasons to get a 3Gs therefor apple doesnt want 3g customers to be able to have all the same capabilities (same reason a video recording app would be rejected) I think we need to trust that apple obviously knows what they are doing. more so than most corporations in todays struggling market. Even tho apple does purposefully leave out components like video in the 3g for the next gen product they still are able to bring the customers what they want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clive.weller View Post
    The iPhone could be the best mobile on the market if only Apple would climb down from thier arrogant stance and allow it to do all the things that come as standard on others. It has a first rate CPU, bluetooth chip and great operating system. If only they would listen and open up the SDK and let us have it as a decent phone instead of concentrating on thousands of worthless apps.
    If Google thought their app was sooooooooo great they would have used it as a draw for their Google Phones. They even said in their letter that the main reason they want to be on the iphone is to have access to the most popular phones customer base. Meaning their information and data. So they can sell ads. remember. They sell nothing but customer data. When they have your personal information they are valuable to you. The only features they would not have as a web app considering the phone is alway on the web, is the ability to download your address book without your approval, and to circumvent the Visual voice mail because their app replaced the dialing and email function on the Iphone with Googles with violates the SDK.

I have also noticed that many who have sided with Google on this matter appear to be Windows loving Apple haters.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
    I really don't understand why Google is so mad in the first place. This app would really hurt att in so many ways. I know they said att has no say in their apps, but i'm sure apple does not want to put an app out that really hurts their main carrier. Their data usage would go way up and a lot of people would lower their minutes on their plan. I personally would not use Google voice since I don't use a lot of minutes anyway.
    Hurt ATT? I think the biggest issue here is that people do not have a clue what google voice is. I'm still using ATT min when GV connects me with another caller. All GV does is just play middle man, thats it. As for the data, what data? other than to retrieve send information about who called, dial a call, and voicemail. Probably those who are on youtube are using up a lot more data than GV is.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ziggie216 View Post
    Hurt ATT? I think the biggest issue here is that people do not have a clue what google voice is. I'm still using ATT min when GV connects me with another caller. All GV does is just play middle man, thats it. As for the data, what data? other than to retrieve send information about who called, dial a call, and voicemail. Probably those who are on youtube are using up a lot more data than GV is.
    It's not about what it is, its about how it does it. The reason the Iphone has been the game changer is because it provides a consistent and enjoyable experience. Someone wanting something outside this can jail break their phone. The problem is jailbreaking displays a possible security hole which Apple with of course plug to prevent hackers from further exploitation. I personally have a problem with a company I know their purpose is to make money buy allowing advertisers to target me, to have access to my personal data and address book on my phone. Google is such a company. Just by installing the app the download this data from your phone. Now why? They can do as all other app approved do and allow the phone to manage this data and keep it within your control. Instead they want it on their servers. Good for Apple. Sure its probably in the Google warning license, who is reading all that. No one. and that what they are counting on.

Then I like visual voice mail and would be upset if I installed an app then all of a sudden it didn't work anymore. Many would call Apple and complain because they can no longer use one of the core features on the phone that they advertised.

If they were so awful with the app store policies the shouldn't have 75,000 apps to the 5-6000 on Googles phone and even less on the rest. There were app store long before Apples, but they did something right and should not allow another company to destroy what makes their system what it is. This is a free country. If you don't like what Apple offers then buy something else. Thats OK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Image via New York Times

Congressman Joe Wilson, who garnered much attention for himself by shouting "Liar" in the chambers of Congress recently, has apparently started a trend this month.

Shouts of "Liar" haven't subsided one bit... except a new target has been bearing the brunt of the impact: Apple.

Since last week's media fiasco provoked by Apple and Google's war of words, a lot of folks have expressed displeasure with how Apple communicated its way through that whole debacle. But now that the smoke has settled, some are coming around to stop castigating and, instead, cast a lifeline of advice to a company that seems to need a positive spin ASAP.

Of course, speaking truth to power is never easy. But this morning, Paul Suarez at PC World is making a bold attempt to jolt Apple from the recent media funk in which the company has found itself.

Suarez's advice? Apple should embrace third-party options in their product lines in order to regain some measure of consumer confidence. The first step? Put a whole new effort into building up the iPod Touch.

Those of us who love Apple are taking personally the recent wave of criticisms that have utterly shaken the company's focus from what it does best - create and support amazing technologies that revolutionize the way we live our lives. In this regard, I agree with Suarez. Apple needs to get back to work at fostering growth, not stifling it and couching excuses for not doing so in carefully worded letters and press releases.

For Apple, such a move seems increasingly more inevitable. And the longer the company waits to drastically change its policies of exclusion (which have proven more prevalent that we realized in recent weeks) the longer it will take for Apple to get back to doing the creative work that never gave the company a black eye from the mass media before.
    This thread is working towards fail. Lemme remind everyone what it is about......
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Get real
    I love my cydia as much as the next guy, but why would Apple change a HUGELY succesful business model (ie reject apps that they think might hurt revenue and make it as difficult as possible to JB)? To be nice? You're all well within your rights to write a new OS and put it on your iPhone but we shouldn't force Apple to make their OS a certain way through litigation. Vote with your checkbooks. And to answer a previous post: from where I stand (as as 3gs owner who would like to upgrade to 3.1 but wants to keep JB) Apple certainly HAS written an OS that no one's been able to break yet!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

LOL @ the folks who don't know what GV is or how it works chiming in. Oh noes, poor AT&T!!! They will SUFFFFAAARRRR!!!!! Poor lil corporation, please don't hurt eeeeettttttt!!!!!

Paying for unlimited data, which in reality is NOT unlimited, should give you the right to use it as you please. If the carrier cannot support it, don't offer it!

PS to the guy above: Microsoft was forced to change its OS with litigation. Sooner or later, Apple will too.
    Last edited by bengo; 09-20-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default No doubt
    I think what I said above applies pretty much to MS's situation, agreed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My wife thought she was doing me a favor when she upgraded my 3g to 3.1. Being a windows user this sucks! Both our phones are due for upgrades at the end of the month. I was going to upgrade to the 3gs and my wife was going to upgrade from her Motorola V9x to a 3gs. But since Apple wants to force me what my options are and how my phone looks when I use it..... Screw them. I will take my money else where. I too had no ill will towards Apple until this happened. My wife has seen the new comercials with phones operated by android and loves the fact she can make it look the way SHE wants. If Apple would sell apps to let folks personalize their phone, most people would buy them. I feel Apple will do this, but they will make their customers buy a new updated handset to do so. Why should I spend money on a new handset for features that have been on many phones for a few years now?
    Last edited by echoes49; 09-20-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
    ..... but why would Apple change a HUGELY succesful business model (ie reject apps that they think might hurt revenue and make it as difficult as possible to JB)? To be nice? ...
    For strategic reasons. Sure, it's working now. The monarchy will not last forever. The gravy train will end and one day they will need us! In the long run, it's always better to keep the subjects happy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Monarchy
    Big, bad microsoft still does pretty well, though...

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm tempted to close this thread...it's getting nowhere.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default ?
    Where is it supposed to get?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
    Where is it supposed to get?
    Haha. I was thinking there really is no place for this to go. What can be said that hasn't already been said? We can complain and moan all we want. In the end, Apple will be Apple. Not sure what that means anymore, but it's going to be interesting

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    Skype works only on wifi. GV didn't. that's the difference. Apple did have a right to reject it. All the other VIOP's had to be on wifi so what makes GV more special?
    Google Voice isn't a VoIP service!!!!! What don't you get about that?!?!?