Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Drive Safe with PlaySafe

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Drive Safe with PlaySafe

Image via pocket-lint

All it takes is one second.

Taking your eyes off the road to tinker with any device - cell phone, iPod, etc. - even for a fleeting moment can be hazardous to your life and the lives of others.

In this regard, the distraction equivalent of iPhones and iPods is that of a hand grenade. But, luckily, there's a new app called PlaySafe that addresses the very serious threat posed by controlling music on your iPhone while driving.

From Pocket-Lint:
    The "PlaySafe" app simplifies the process of playing music on your Apple touch device when in the car (or presumably anytime for the lazy), therefore making you less likely to plough through a superfluity of nuns on a zebra crossing.
    Essentially, the 99 cent app circumvents the tiny onscreen controls and makes the whole screen one big control mechanism.
    And regardless of how you mount your phone, PlaySafe works in either portrait and landscape modes.

When the app is running, tapping anywhere on the screen pauses the music while a left or right swipe skips tracks. Apparently, "itís so easy you can do it without looking at the screen."
    PlaySafe is one of the those apps that makes you wonder "why didn't I think of that?" More so, in fact, why didn't Apple?

If you're like me and constantly take your eyes off the road to adjust or control your music player, PlaySafe truly has the potential to save your life.

It should be noted, however, that some users have reported crashes when adding their entire collection of songs to PlaySafe.
    However, this can usually be solved by deleting and re-installing the app.

I've only had PlaySafe for a matter of hours and can no longer imagine life without it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its kind of cool. Now if someone could make an app that makes texting easier while driving, that would be epic. lol

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Cootie (09-20-2009), masonbuechler (09-19-2009), reanimationxp (09-19-2009), tcreasy (09-19-2009), xxfr0stbytexx (09-19-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Its kind of cool. Now if someone could make an app that makes texting easier while driving, that would be epic. lol
    yYOU WOULD.
    EDM

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I already do this with pocketTouch

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

voice texting app= happy face
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

Thanks

I agree

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Gotta get it.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Wasnt this already invented?

Im pretty sure for the first gen iPod Touch, due to its lack of side controls and no ability to use the external mic to skip.

As posted above, I think it was called pocketTouch.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

voice texting will be really a good app for drivers.

I have to check this out....I'm downloading it now

speech-to-text? do i see a hack of the 3gs voice control system coming on?

To me this app is alright but i just use the hack on cydia to control media with my volume buttons
    Please click this link and vote to support my friend! http://bit.ly/REYeH

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    That would be so sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinPizzle View Post
    Funny...I was just chatting about a voice command text tool yesterday. It is illegal to text while driving in Minnesota. It's worse than drinking and driving!

Thanks

the worse is posting on MMi while driving

Pocket Touch (from Cydia) did exactly the same thing but it didn't work with 3.0 OS firmware, it says they will wait until 3.1 firmware but if pocket touch was in the app store I would definitely buy it ... I will have to buy these one instead

... they do...

it's called make a call with a headset!

:-P

Quote Originally Posted by JustinPizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahffk1100 View Post
    voice texting will be really a good app for drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyGuy5 View Post
    Funny...I was just chatting about a voice command text tool yesterday. It is illegal to text while driving in Minnesota. It's worse than drinking and driving!
    I'm sorry if I'm gonna be the cynical one here...

BUUUT...

You want an application that will translate you voice into text...

I have an even better innovation:

Wouldn't it be great if we could simply talk to the person whom we wanted to speak with instantly? Hear their voices and talk to them in a normal conversation as if they were standing right there?

I mean reading a message is sooo 19th century...

Another innovation I have is this:

The telephone companies should put these little kiosks or boxes on street corners and have a phone inside of them.

Okay now follow with me on this...

You put a quarter in them to make them work and you can make a call just in case the battery in your phone dies!

Like a booth... Only with a phone in it!
    Last edited by boe_dye; 09-19-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to boe_dye For This Useful Post:

ensigma (09-19-2009)

Thanks

^ lmao. There are times and situations when texting is needed over a voice call

21. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

xxfr0stbytexx (09-19-2009)

Thanks

Texting while driving... pull over.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

^ lmao. There are times and situations when texting is needed over a voice call
    You know, i've worked it out over and over in my head, and I just don't see it!

I grew up being the first person in my group with a cell phone (way back in the 90's). Once my friends caught up to where I was and got a phone, I was still the only one who could SMS, or even knew that the feature was there...

Sure going going to a concert when you can't talk cause of the music, texting someone to say "i'm on the right hand side of the pavilion", Or texting the wife as your out the door from work "leaving now". SMS=Short/Small Message Service.

But now, people are going to be having full length conversations with it. And you know as well as I do that once you start voice texting then people are going to be talking into their phones, texting back and forth, talking without talking...

I'm getting to a point in my life where I am not seeing technology as a useful tool to make life more productive and easier, but instead technology as a toy that says "ooo looky what I can do this week...

So with that, I respectfully disagree in saying that there simply isn't any real reason why one must be texting while they are driving.

Besides, voice to text is so horrid that it's hardly ever accurate. And that's standing in a noise free room.

Imagine driving in your car, road noise, a.c., etc talking to your phone and then looking at the screen to make certain that the message is even accurate.

(which defeats the purpose anyways cause the point is NOT to look at your phone.)

Nay, I'll call or wait till I get home.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast