+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Live Traffic (Finally) Comes to Navigon GPS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Navigon will be one of the few apps I have bought that's actually worth the money. While TomTom charges $100 for inferior software (and even more for their car kit).
    adp
    Thanks

Navigon will be one of the few apps I have bought that's actually worth the money. While TomTom charges $100 for inferior software (and even more for their car kit).

Can't wait for the update!!!

TomTom = FAIL
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Live traffic has been available in CoPilot since the last update.......
    Not on mine it hasn't and we are both are in the UK.
    The app store still has traffic as "coming in September" and even then it will be a subscription based service.

I wonder if Navigon will be able to offer UK based traffic services at some point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I took the leap buying MobileNavigator while the sale was on and days (as it turned out) before Tom-Tom arrived. The graphics and lane assist made me feel somewhat confident in my decision, although I was wary about additional charges.

The update for text-to-speech is great. And free. This traffic update is not free, but a one-time charge is fine with me. This makes this product the best-in-class by far. Now I wonder about map and POI updates.

A very satisfied Navigon customer,

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

I just recently bought TomTom and thats the only navigation app I have used and everyone seems to hate it. I thought even without the dock it has worked pretty well even in rural ares where i dont get much service (since im a Tmobile) What are some of the major high points that navigon has over tomtom besides the live traffic update?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

include google search POI! then it will be light years ahead of the competitions

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry can't get excited about an announcement about a future announcement.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does the live traffic update offer re-routing capabilities to avoid the traffic?

Thanks

Yes it has, but copilot's input interface sucks, would u rather type in your destination on the qwerty kb that the majority of iPhone users are used to or the pooey alphabetized kb provided with copilot. On top of that it's rediculously inaccurate, it actually told me I was on a road that was like 3 blocks away.
    I'm not a fanboy of Navigon, or Tom Tom, I just know the better app when I use it, and yes, I've tried them all

Quote Originally Posted by Ticko View Post
    I just recently bought TomTom and thats the only navigation app I have used and everyone seems to hate it. I thought even without the dock it has worked pretty well even in rural ares where i dont get much service (since im a Tmobile) What are some of the major high points that navigon has over tomtom besides the live traffic update?

They are both great apps that I have found, other than the live traffic, prolly just some little things.

Tom Tom uses a number pad to input it's address numbers, while navigon uses the qwerty keyboard.

In my area Tom Tom is spot on to the house, where navigon still has poor accuracy for me, though it did improve with the last update by about 50% (ie: I'm only 4-5 houses away from my delivery as opposed to the like 10 before)

navigon has a more asthetically pleasing map to look at and has lane assist, with visuals of the actual signs posted over the highways, this along with the addition of live traffic updates will def make this the superior navigation app, just wish it was more accurate
    Last edited by thinknoffcenter; 09-17-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thinknoffcenter For This Useful Post:

Ticko (09-17-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by messany View Post

image via cnet

big news tonight for those of us who have long bemoaned the lack of live traffic updates on our gps mobile apps.

Our friends at cnet have been all over this breaking announcement:

It's almost as though the holiday season has come early. Indeed, the new traffic live feature - which offers real-time traffic updates for the gps app - is like a present we've been waiting an eternity for. With this latest update, mobilenavigator's journey (pun intended) has come full circle.

From the initial bare bones app, which didn't offer the ability to access points of interest from inside the app or the now much-loved text-to-speech component, the polished app is arguably now the most practical, well-versed, and functional gps app for any mobile device.

That one time fee, however, will be worth it. Navigon says the update is made possible from live traffic information provided by the ultimate source for traffic news - people who are either stuck in it or avoiding it altogether. Real-time data and information from more than one million drivers across north america will be the service's heart and soul.

This huge improvement will likely prompt competing navigation apps to either step up their game right away or get out of the way altogether.
    awesome!

Thanks

Tomtom is iLagging Behind I love my navigon works great..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thinknoffcenter View Post
    They are both great apps that I have found, other than the live traffic, prolly just some little things.

Tom Tom uses a number pad to input it's address numbers, while navigon uses the qwerty keyboard.

In my area Tom Tom is spot on to the house, where navigon still has poor accuracy for me, though it did improve with the last update by about 50% (ie: I'm only 4-5 houses away from my delivery as opposed to the like 10 before)

navigon has a more asthetically pleasing map to look at and has lane assist, with visuals of the actual signs posted over the highways, this along with the addition of live traffic updates will def make this the superior navigation app, just wish it was more accurate
    thanks so much you answered exactly what i was looking for

Lem
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't Wait!
    OMG! Navigon is taking it to the next level! I cant wait to get the new update! One question though, does this mean we need a data plan or a wifi to make this new "live traffic" work?

LOL buddy I have Tom Tom and Navigon and all I can say about Tom Tom it's striaght up GARBAGE! On the other hand Navigon is super accurate bang on!
    Last edited by Lem; 09-17-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone spintek's Avatar
    Thanks

Great news! It's a must have feature.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great feature..... But only if you have a free data plan

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,226 Times in 3,345 Posts

mmh, are there really iphone users without data plan ???

Green Apple
    Thanks

WAZE already does this (for free)

Just not enough people using it right now to make it a valuable app

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Good job Navigon. Keep it up.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What if you don't need this traffic update, can you still update the map and other new features that they improve on the interface without getting the traffic update?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up What about waze?
    waze has live traffic and is free in the app store. It's early but this may beat them all for traffic info. It certainly should!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

im still gonna use xgps. I know these other apps namely navigon are better but xgps works for routes and i am blessed with electronic traffic update billboards all over the area in which i live. their updates are almost spot on for travel time etc.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...