+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bing is King for Browsing iPhone Apps?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via Mashable It sounds like a work of fiction - Microsoft allowing and supporting a way for people to browse and search iPhone apps?! Can't be true, right? Wrong.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Bing is King for Browsing iPhone Apps?

Image via Mashable

It sounds like a work of fiction - Microsoft allowing and supporting a way for people to browse and search iPhone apps?! Can't be true, right? Wrong. If you're somewhat surprised, you're not alone. The people at CNET seem a little astonished too.

There's a new way to search for iPhone apps, and it comes from the unlikeliest of sources: Microsoft. The new Bing Visual Search engine, announced yesterday, includes a special gallery section that spotlights iPhone apps.
    Almost seems like a sign of the apocalypse doesn't it?

The new Bing Visual Search engine has the look and feel of a digital jukebox at your local watering hole - complete with jumbo app icons that can be flipped through like a box of old records in the attic. And a description pops up when you mouse over the app of your choice, along with price, category, and other vital info.

I have to admit, both the look and functionality of this feature are really impressive. The obvious drawback, of course, is that only a fraction (500, in all) of the Apple app catalog is available for browsing through Bing. Everything is categorized by Bing's search filters and broken down into titled chunks like "top ten free" or "top ten paid," etc.

In any case, it's interesting to see Microsoft putting any kind of spotlight on the iPhone. And it would be more interesting still if this gallery ramped up to, say, 5,000 apps. Then it would be more than just a fun diversion; it would have some bona fide practical value.
    Although some are saying today that Microsoft has developed a better interface for browsing iPhone applications than Apple itself, I won't go that far. But even if Bing isn't the best place to explore iPhone apps, it may still be the coolest-looking search portal so far.

And, no matter how you slice it, that's a win-win for consumers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (09-16-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

alright, awesome ... how do I get there? searching bing for "iphone apps" doesn't turn up anything

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

someones desperate...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    someones desperate...
    sure .. I mean it's not like I have itunes installed or anything to browse iphone apps

edit: haha, thought that was directed at me ^^ whatever
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 09-16-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    someones desperate...
    Except Microsoft isn't making any money off of the Apps, only generating usage for the search engine. I doubt highly that a lot of people are going to use Bing instead of iTunes to search for the Apps, but either way, it's good to see Microsoft "bury the hatchet" if you will. Given, we will probably never see Zune software supporting an Apple product, but this is a step in the forward direction right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    alright, awesome ... how do I get there? searching bing for "iphone apps" doesn't turn up anything
    Visual Search Galleries - Bing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby579 View Post
    Except Microsoft isn't making any money off of the Apps, only generating usage for the search engine.
    OMG does Microsoft secretly have Apple shares or even worse does the evil empire that cursed us with windows pull the Apple strings? That would explain a lot...

OOOPS sorry, just woke up on my paranoid side...

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

OMG does Microsoft secretly have Apple shares or even worse does the evil empire that cursed us with windows pull the Apple strings? That would explain a lot...

OOOPS sorry, just woke up on my paranoid side...
    they work closer then you think, windows has a mac team, and apple has a windows team.
    very small, but works on **** like compatibility and basic networking ect..
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Let's try that again
    That web page doesn't exist. Let's see if we can help you find what you are looking for.

Thanks

Personally I think MS is the bigger man. Can you honestly ever see Apple doing the same for MS? I can't, because Apple want to dominate the market and to have everything their way.

Just look at flash, iTunes syncing, DRM (OK that's gone now, but it was a joke at the time)...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think bing.com/visualsearch is not everywhere available. I cant open the webpage in Switzerland.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you think Gates and Jobs are playing in their garage together again?!? Stevens life altering health issues may have rekindled their old flame...

BTW I went to bing.com and was unable to turn up that pretty little interface that is pictured at the top of this thread...
    Last edited by rwin84; 09-16-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I personally think since the Vista sega that Bill and Steve or Windows and Mac's will work together and will continue to work together. Look at how you can install windows on a Mac right now?

I went here

Once I got to that page on the site I was notified that I had to install Silverlight so I did and once the install was finished I went back to the site and clicked on top iphone apps to view that area first.... all I can say is this is VERY tastefully done! If you install Silverlight make sure you do it while your browser if closed because this is a plugin for your browser....

I enjoy this site very well and the experience to!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 09-16-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I personally think since the Vista sega that Bill and Steve or Windows and Mac's will work together and will continue to work together. Look at how you can install windows on a Mac right now?

I went here

Once I got to that page on the site I was notified that I had to install Silverlight so I did and once the install was finished I went back to the site and clicked on top iphone apps to view that area first.... all I can say is this is VERY tastefully done! If you install Silverlight make sure you do it while your browser if closed because this is a plugin for your browser....

I enjoy this site very well and the experience to!
    That link doesn't work for me

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

HERE'S THE LINK: Top iPhone apps - Bing

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (09-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Could it possibly be a way of gathering information on Apple Apps so it knows which apps to target for it's own app store for the Zune? It makes no sense for them to support it so easily.

I'm sure it also has something to do with getting everyone to install Silverlight onto their computer/lap top........that's the only way you can use the visual search for the iPhone apps.
    Last edited by stickyd8; 09-16-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Again, here is the link.
    IT REQUIRES SILVERLIGHT

Click here

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhilr51 View Post
    Let's try that again
    That web page doesn't exist. Let's see if we can help you find what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by griesgram View Post
    I think bing.com/visualsearch is not everywhere available. I cant open the webpage in Switzerland.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    BTW I went to bing.com and was unable to turn up that pretty little interface that is pictured at the top of this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    That link doesn't work for me
    Hi guys - Bing Visual Search beta is only available in US right now. I know it's a bummer, but if you want to take it for a test drive, there is a way around. Here's a great post on how to do it: Reaching Out to Microsoft Partners in Australia : Bing Visual Search ? how to make it work in Australia

Cheers,

Aaron
    Bing Team

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BingAaron For This Useful Post:

confucious (09-16-2009), hitman10 (09-16-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone here use Bing?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I did not know that burger king had anything to do with apple.