Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Totally Still Playing the Field (in China)

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Totally Still Playing the Field (in China)

Just as we digest the news of Apple starting a new relationship with Chinese wireless carrier China Unicom, a report in the Wall Street Journal indicate that Apple is still totally chatting up rival China Mobile.

Apple's deal with China Unicom is "absolutely not exclusive," and China Mobile still hopes to offer iPhones in China, Mr. Wang said Friday on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum.
    Wang is also quoted as saying "[w]e are still in talks... so I can’t say anything else."

China Mobile would have to modify the iPhone for use on its 3G TD-SCDMA network, but the company is working on its own Android-based handheld (the so-called Ophone), and so the technical expertise presumably exists.

If the second deal in China goes through, it would mark the first country in which Apple has not negotiated an exclusive deal with a wireless carrier. But China Mobile has an enormous customer base - 420,000,000 subscribers, more than one account for every man, woman and child in the United States - so a relationship with the carrier remains an enormous growth opportunity for Apple.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-15-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: image error

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

just give in already apple... do what they ask or you will miss out on alotta money.-chinese-iphone-2.jpg how you like my chinese iphone?
    Last edited by badass1469; 09-15-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: dunno rly
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

lol i wonder if then att-apple excl. contract *does* end, if verizon will make a CDMA iphone? or GSM.. i can never remember which is which lol
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T is gsm and Verizon is CDMA. And did no one see that the rep. from China Mobile's name was Mr. Wang? hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Isn't this a slap in the face to Americans? I mean iPhone has AT&T exclusivity at home, but is getting distributed to two major competing Chinese telecoms.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

apple is gonna take over
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    Isn't this a slap in the face to Americans? I mean iPhone has AT&T exclusivity at home, but is getting distributed to two major competing Chinese telecoms.
    exactly! I just don't really get these 'exclusive' thing...maybe for games, but for a cellphone? come on...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

horrible