+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO] Downgrade a 3G[S] From 3.1 and Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Long as I don't have to restore before the 3.1 jailbreak comes out, I don't care about anything else. *sitting on 3.0 wide open and crossing fingers*
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Long as I don't have to restore before the 3.1 jailbreak comes out, I don't care about anything else. *sitting on 3.0 wide open and crossing fingers*
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks
    That said, Apple is shotting themselves in the foot, by doing this. Their 3G s is the most expensive model; and this is how they treat the customers, who ought to be valued more.
    Last edited by iphonefreakify; 09-14-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I added Vista to my post

4. The Following User Says Thank You to remf For This Useful Post:

Cory Gillmore (09-14-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

can anyone help please,i was able to downgrade my 3gs from 3.1 to 3.0 but i cant make no calls help please.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    can anyone help please,i was able to downgrade my 3gs from 3.1 to 3.0 but i cant make no calls help please.
    You have been here 2 years, you can read the link that says "downgrade help forum" in the OP. Use it.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Thanks Remf. Did the trick.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

love it, the article is a great read if you care anything about jailbreaking a 3gs phone or any phone of that matter, its good to know what's going on. i just hope a lot of people read the article and just don't want to come on a forum and have it spoon fed to them.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks

When I edit the host file, it saves as a new .txt file. Is that ok? Also, when I try so save it initially, is gives me an error stating: "Cannot create C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct." WTH?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
    When I edit the host file, it saves as a new .txt file. Is that ok? Also, when I try so save it initially, is gives me an error stating: "Cannot create C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct." WTH?
    check the file permission and/or owner

Thanks

Thanks Ziggie but I'll have to do it tomorrow as my comp is already shut down and packed up. Why didn't Jays instructions include all these damn steps? Is my computer special or something?! sigh. What should the permissions and ownerships be set to for when I get around to it though? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Actually there are threads in the 3gs downgrade forum with great answers to your problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 851 Posts

I feel really bad for all you guys that got a 3GS and now cannot jailbreak. That's the nerd equivalent of being locked in a dark box while the other children play outside in the fresh breeze and sunshine.

I had a hard time remember what my device looked like before it was jailbroken. I think the Earth was on the lockscreen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

to the Dev-Team and Saurik...

i am still a "baby" to the iPhone... Only owning mine since May... I must say that in the iPhone's relatively short life, it is absolutely amazing the differences between my previous brand of choice (blackberry)...

in the blackberry world, we thought it was "cool" to be able to load a different carrier's version of whatever OS was out, and we would go crazy over the most miniscule "new" features...

the things that the Dev-Team and Saurik have done on the iPhone are ridiculous compared to the blackberry world...

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for all you do for the community!!!

What's Jailbreak? TheArthurShock's Avatar
    Thanks

Bravo Saurik

Keep up the good work

: )
    Stock Just Doesn't Cut It

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Man I so excited. I have been delving into forums on how to do this. I will see if I can try to write a simple article on how to perform the process once someone explains where to find signed ECID files

- Josh

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keysloser View Post
    Now the company (with 1,21 billion $ profit in the first three months of 2009) has become the "true enemy", the Big Brother it was set up to fight against.
    The profit they make is irrelevant, it's their attitude that is the problem. There's no virtue in losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonefreakify View Post
    That said, Apple is shotting themselves in the foot, by doing this. Their 3G s is the most expensive model; and this is how they treat the customers, who ought to be valued more.
    Let's be realistic. The vast majority of iPhone customers don't know a thing about jailbreaking and could care less about this. To us (the small minority) it's important, to everyone else it's 'meh'. So, Apple isn't 'shotting' or shooting themselves anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    They would lose money if they let you do what ever you wanted.
    It's hyperbole like this that give this community a bad name and makes us look like nuts. Given the millions of iPhones out there the ones that are jailbroken are a very small minority and even people who jailbreak buy apps at the app store. So, how is Apple losing money to jailbroken iPhones? They are not losing sales of apps since we are installing apps that, for the most part, are not available in the App Store.

Of the total iPhones sold, how many are jailbroken? Of those, how many are unlocked? ATT might be losing money on unlocked phones, but not Apple.
    Last edited by MikePA; 09-15-2009 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

well i think its been stated that 10% of the iphones may be jailbroken, and since the key to the unlock is through the JB it only makes sense to close the big hole. ive always felt that if JB alone were the issue, then apple wouldnt be so hardcore about preventing it, but since there is an unlock that potentially costs AT&T money, well then that will be addressed. its only natural that you attack the JB, since the BB upgrade takes care of the unlock for most people forever.

also, apple, like most software manufacturers, hates it when people deconstruct their software and make it better (mobile substrate additions, backgrounder, maps enhancers, youtuber, themes, etc) especially when it involves the core applications. they wont let people put in apps that do more than layer the functionality (i.e. camera zoom doesnt actually use the camera app, it opens its own app, terribly incovenient)

cydia apps are great because they invest the new functions within the old app but apple sure hates that for some reason. just my thoughts, but that is a legitimate reason to attack the JB that isnt necessarily $$$-driven

Thanks

all hail saurik! the mighty saurik of iphone! =)

Green Apple
    Thanks

How would I know that if my 3Gs 3.0.1 file on server or not? or is there any way I can put it now... I still have 3.0.1 jailbreak unlock 3Gs......
    thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice job Saurik. I saw that on cydia and i just tried to scroll down and do my normal stuff on cydia and i hit no man does that suck for me. Guess i learned the hard way and read everything on that front page. Looks like i have to wait for 3.1 to get my chance to capture my files